Talk

Advanced search

ISIS - foreign citizens being put on trial in Iraq?

(6 Posts)
LoveTheLakes40 Sun 02-Jun-19 15:22:46

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/02/inside-the-iraqi-courts-sentencing-foreign-isis-fighters-to-death?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Just read this and found it interesting. Wondering if this is why our government seem to be avoiding bringing British ISIS members back to the UK. It’s a lot easier for them if Iraq tries them and sentences them to death - problem goes away and they are no longer a security risk.

Not sure that I agree with outsourcing our problem though. Perhaps the answer is more robust sentencing here - maximum security prison for life.

cdtaylornats Sun 02-Jun-19 21:16:54

Get Boris to intervene, might get them tortured as well as executed.

Caselgarcia Sun 02-Jun-19 21:36:40

Because they committed their alleged crimes in Iraq?

theworldistoosmall Sun 02-Jun-19 21:47:50

I don't understand how they are outsourcing. The guys were detained in Syria. France refused to have them back, and the crimes weren't committed in France. So why should France prosecute?

You commit a crime in another country you face the consequences in that country.

LoveTheLakes40 Tue 04-Jun-19 13:02:12

So should Shamima Begum be brought back to the UK, some people think she should.

I wonder if the removal of her British passport is just buying time, so she has to stay there until the Iraqi’s catch up with her and try her there?

meditrina Wed 05-Jun-19 07:51:24

It's totally normal to be prosecuted in the country where the offence has been committed.

The Government usually makes strong representations against the death penalty though.

And if there is a valid agreement in place, prisoners can be transferred to UK for the bulk of their sentence.

I was not aware that Shamima Begum was currently facung charges overseas. If she is, then they wouid be concluded before any next steps worked out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »