Talk

Advanced search

Anyone understand the Tory party? - I have a question

(8 Posts)
GlacindaTheTroll Fri 24-May-19 09:36:55

So everyine seems to be hanging around waiting for the PM to make some sort of (deferred) resignation.

Two things about this seem particularly non-sensical, and I was wondering if anyone could shed any light

- why are they doing this just before, rather than just after the Euro election results?
- why doesn't she decide that if they want her out, she's going now? Then deputy can take over whilst they have the leadership competition (that won't make the duck and lamer)

Lumene Fri 24-May-19 09:40:32

- because there are several power hungry lions waiting in the wings ready to pounce and timing before or after the elections is irrelevant to them
- they’ve wanted her out for ages, you don’t get to be PM/Tory leader if you’re the type to step aside easily in response to voices of dissent.

GlacindaTheTroll Fri 24-May-19 09:49:58

You've got to be pretty ruthless and ambitious to get to the top (even if you make your public image rather different)

Yes, there have been all sorts of manoeuvreings in recent weeks (wouid be interesting if any MNetters had any good insights) but I'm not sure why it has come to a head now. I guess there must be some sort of interplay between latest iteration of withdrawal arrangements, and the euro election.

I think she has done better than she is often credited for, in exceptionally difficult circumstances. And now that it appears to have reached the point of absolute intractability, if I was her I'd just walk today.

RoseAndRose Fri 24-May-19 09:51:05

Lectern has just been put out in Downing Street

(Yes, go now - let a caretaker PM host Trump)

RoseAndRose Fri 24-May-19 10:05:11

Her speech has started

RoseAndRose Fri 24-May-19 10:06:11

Yup, resigning n 7 June

namechangedyetagain Fri 24-May-19 10:11:20

So this will just be a new Tory leader, not another election???
She does look a bit sad sad

GlacindaTheTroll Fri 24-May-19 10:14:27

Original questions a bit overtaken by events, though I'm still interested if anyone can shed any light on the background to the timing just pre-results

Good speech, emotion only showing through in last few words.

And seems definitely taking one for the team by staying on for Trump!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »