Talk

Advanced search

What's happening in Birmingham - school protests and jess philips

(9 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Mon 20-May-19 13:03:10

I've just seen a video clip. I assume the school is predominantly Muslim and many parents are protesting about SRE? And is jess being pressured to support them, but doesn't?

MoobaaMoobaa Mon 20-May-19 17:04:39

it's not very clear at all...
I thing protesters had eggs thrown at them, and then there was some stand off between different groups, to the point parents didn't want to take there kids to school.

www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/live-updates-police-anderton-park-16300998

StealthPolarBear Mon 20-May-19 18:39:45

here's the bbc link
As an aside I love that the head is wearing a Minnie mouse badge. My dcs' head (male) recently participated in a school talent show in a tutu. So different from when I was at school!

rosedream Mon 20-May-19 18:51:36

There will be children from some of those parents who disagree with SRE being taught who are or who will go on to realise that they are part of LGBT community. What a sad future for these children for their relationship with their parents and being able to feel confident in who they are.

lotsofdogshere Mon 20-May-19 20:36:12

Its a protest by (from what I can see) Muslim parents against the used of the No Outsider books, which help children see different families, like those with two mummies or daddies.
Jess Philips was told by one of the men protesting that it was Islamophobic not to support them. He demanded to know why she wasn't supporting her constituents. Jess Philips responded well I thought.
What a mess

StealthPolarBear Tue 21-May-19 09:21:15

Ah right thanks

Gone2far Tue 21-May-19 11:03:28

It's a perfect example of the liberal left being caught out. Decades of criticising people as racist when they don't follow the mantra of multiculturism being wonderful. Now, when communities with different belief systems start to want their opinions respected, what do you do?
FWIW, I'm not muslim, and I wouldn't want my child being indoctrinated taught about TG issues.

Gone2far Tue 21-May-19 11:04:31

...and I think Jess Phillips is loving the attention

ChristmasFluff Sun 26-May-19 16:01:03

Jess Phillips is confrontational and not good at listening to others and responding in a respectful way.

She is a member of Labour Friends of Israel, and uses antisemitism as a smear to silence debate.

Unsurprisingly, her intervention in this row has not been useful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »