Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Peaceful protesters sworn at by participants in Trinny and Susannah.

(100 Posts)
theUrbanDryad Fri 06-Jul-07 19:19:00

here

Trinny and Susannah have decided to put clothes on the Long Man Of Wilmington.

Bless em.

southeastastra Fri 06-Jul-07 19:35:32

they probably just did it for a laugh, seems very dis-respectful though. odd thing for t & s to do

aloha Fri 06-Jul-07 19:42:01

This is not very important, is it??
I mean, a few women walk on a hillside - so what?

theUrbanDryad Fri 06-Jul-07 19:42:21

you wouldn't expect them to go into a church, make Jesus on the cross into a woman, then put clothes on him, would you?

why is it ok to desecrate a sacred site, then abuse the people who turn up to protect it?

southeastastra Fri 06-Jul-07 19:46:09

what is the significance to pagans? have passed the long man once or twice.

SueBaroo Fri 06-Jul-07 19:48:57

I can understand the anger about it, and I'm a conservative christian. I would be very upset if someone disrespectfully used our church building to advertise some grim little ITV programme.

meandmyflyingmachine Fri 06-Jul-07 19:50:49

What are they objecting to? (can't view the thingy...)

theUrbanDryad Fri 06-Jul-07 19:54:18

MAMFM - they are objecting to the desecration of a sacred site.

as to its significance, he is representative of male divinity, masculinity, take your pick really. he's also supposed to hold open/closed a portal. mainly, it's a Heritage site which has already been subject to erosion, which people have used as a site for Beltane/Samhain rituals and it shouldn't have been used for some stupid TV programme.

OrmIrian Fri 06-Jul-07 19:55:22

I don't think there is any significanse to pagans really. Paganism is a modern recreation of something that they think used to exist as far as I know - using ancient sacred sites. Although as an archaeologist I think there is some doubt that it was a 'sacred' site as such. Unless you beleive that for many ancient civilisations the sacred was in the everyday, not just something saved for special places and special times. The long man is thought to have been a surveyor - using his pole (stop sniggering at the back!) to help identify the 'lines of force' from one place to another. Well that's one theory.

However I would want to register a mildly polite whimper of protest at those horrible women going anywhere near it. It wasn't even in some 'worthy' cause either. Just some tacky TV programme. What was the point?

paulaplumpbottom Fri 06-Jul-07 19:56:56

They should be angry. I'm not suprised those two are so distasteful anyway

theUrbanDryad Fri 06-Jul-07 19:58:17

that's exactly my point OrmIrian. on that fence there's a big sign that says "This site has been subject to erosion, please don't walk on the Long Man" (or words to that effect)

why do people think it's ok to trample on something like that?

meandmyflyingmachine Fri 06-Jul-07 19:58:19

OK. I was actually asking how it had been desecrated.

Given that it isn't actually owned by the people who use it for worship, should they have more rights over it than anyone else?

theUrbanDryad Fri 06-Jul-07 20:00:23

there were 30+ people trampling all over an already eroded site. that's how it was desecrated. perhaps damaged would be a better word.

of course, no one owns it (i don't think, i'm not actually sure) so of course T&S have the "right" to make their horrible little program which no one will watch, but really, why?

puppydavies Fri 06-Jul-07 20:01:51

the area around the long man is fenced off to prevent erosion. haven't watched whole clip but looks like they got lots of people dressed in white to walk over him/lie down on him to 'draw' extra bits on. cheap stunt that has potential to damage a national monument. don't object in spiritual terms but as an archaeology student i object on conservation grounds.

Greensleeves Fri 06-Jul-07 20:02:59

I can't get worked up about anything Trinny and Tranny do tbh. I imagine birds shit on it, and beetles crawl on it, probably the odd snail. Not much difference IMO.

meandmyflyingmachine Fri 06-Jul-07 20:02:59

Well yes. If it says don't walk on it, then don't walk on it.

That I do agree with.

puppydavies Fri 06-Jul-07 20:04:05

heh, too slow (left hand, feeding...) it's not actually ancient tho is it? medieval?

southeastastra Fri 06-Jul-07 20:04:59

gs

yes just a cheap stunt, they were pretty nasty at the end (the participants) and only one of them took a leaflet.

they painted it green during the war to disguise it, i just read. mmm

theUrbanDryad Fri 06-Jul-07 20:05:08

Greensleeves - there's a big difference between a beetle crapping and a whole crowd of extras in white suits walking over something.

morocco Fri 06-Jul-07 20:06:10

unnecessary
what next for the gruesome twosome? like to see them redecorate their local mosque perhaps ??

theUrbanDryad Fri 06-Jul-07 20:06:16

puppy - there's a theory that says the Long Man is actually Henry 8th holding apart the Protestant and Catholic church not sure of the dates though i'm afraid.

meandmyflyingmachine Fri 06-Jul-07 20:07:58

If that's the case, then why is it sacred to pagans?

wheresthehamster Fri 06-Jul-07 20:10:25

I thought the goodbye fuckers comment by one of the extras to the peaceful protesters was completely out of order.

puppydavies Fri 06-Jul-07 20:10:30

not being a pagan i couldn't answer that. i think the white horses are much older, something in back of brain says bronze age but that can't be right? have to check now...

southeastastra Fri 06-Jul-07 20:10:35

info here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now