Talk

Advanced search

What's happened to journalism?

(7 Posts)
Twiglett Wed 04-Jul-07 15:57:02

I'm finding it interesting how the same story spreads from paper to paper

do journalists now just buy papers and then slightly re-write stories without doing independent research or put any independent thought in it?

.. I could do that

speedymama Wed 04-Jul-07 16:00:46

Don't they just plagirise their scoop from Reuters?

lou33 Wed 04-Jul-07 16:01:45

talking of journa lists, i was at a hospital today waiting for ds2 to be seenm and read an article by aloha!

i enjoyed it

krang Wed 04-Jul-07 19:11:45

Of course we use stories from other papers.

And from the internet.

And from magazines.

And from, well, pretty much anywhere.

There's no copyright in the facts of a news story.

(the REAL truth is, we all get together and nominate one journalist to do all the work for that week, then we use all his/her stories. Then next week we pull another name out of the hat. The journalist who does the week's work is bought a big cake and many drinks and gets to wear the special Story Hat. It means the rest of us can go off and do no work at all until it's our turn.)

fryalot Wed 04-Jul-07 19:12:55

I've noticed as well that I will see a thread on here then a few days later I see the exact same thing mentioned in one of the papers or a magazine...

Mercy Wed 04-Jul-07 19:17:31

The days of investigative journalism seem to be over imo.

Something the British press were known for previously.

And the American press seem to have done away with genuine foreign news altogther (with a few exceptions of course)

krang Thu 05-Jul-07 09:52:34

Oh, I think investigative journalism is alive and well. Ask people like Felicity Lawrence, the Private Eye In the Back team, Heather Brooke, John Sweeney - who won the Paul Foot award for his investigation into 'shaken baby syndrome', which helped to expose the flaws in Roy Meadows' thinking' - John Pilger, to name but a few. As for US investigative journalism, anyone who thinks that's dead should read Imperial Life in the Emerald City. In fact, everyone should read that anyway.

Though the job of investigative journalists is certainly getting harder, what with MPs trying to exempt themselves from the FoI...

Regarding stories on here - the internet is a source, just like any other. It's no different from someone telling you something down the pub. Except when you write something on a forum that the whole world can see, don't surprised when it turns up in a paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now