Talk

Advanced search

my 76 year old mum has been flooded

(16 Posts)
hatwoman Mon 25-Jun-07 23:20:50

and I'm 200 miles away. It happened in 2000 - and she's only just got over it. If you've never been flooded or had it happen to someone close it's difficult to appreciate how awful it is. Last time she had to move out for 6 months while the house was dried out, replastered, all the flooring replaced; new kitchen put in. She spent most of that time sorting it all out, iyswim. basically she lost 6 months of her life to it. and then spent several years terrified of rain. I'm not sure she's up to it another time. It's a beautiful house - overlooking a river - and we moved there together with my brother after Dad left us. it was our new start - it was where we all pulled together and made a new life for ourselves. We'll all be heart-broken if she decides to sell but I wouldn;t be suprised. she's too old for this.

beansprout Mon 25-Jun-07 23:24:28

I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish her well.

mumto3girls Mon 25-Jun-07 23:26:06

Oh poor lady - where is she based?

hatwoman Mon 25-Jun-07 23:28:32

she's just south of sheffield. my brother lives up the road and it's a small village so people came to help her carry everything upstairs and put the furniture on crates. my uncle lives 2 villages away so she's staying with him. so she's not on her own. we've spent the last 7 years trying to convince her that its ok. it won;t happen again, and now it bloody well has.

Flame Mon 25-Jun-07 23:29:26

where is she? can any mners help at all??

hatwoman Mon 25-Jun-07 23:30:55

oh flame, that's sweet - but she's got lots of friends and family around her.

Flame Mon 25-Jun-07 23:31:35

Crossed posts.

your poor mum

yackyack1 Tue 26-Jun-07 00:34:52

All the best to your mum and your family.

Did I miss it or did the media or weather forecasters fail to warn us about the severity of the rain that was to come?

charliecat Tue 26-Jun-07 08:10:37

I didnt see any warnings of this either. I hope your mums ok.

KaySamuels Tue 26-Jun-07 08:15:48

Oh your poor mum,she must be heart broken. Glad she has somewhere to stay, it must be hard for you too, not to be able to pop round and help her. My town is in a flood plain so I can understand why she stayed the first time, but also why she may well want to move. I hope she is ok I will be thinking of her.

paulaplumpbottom Tue 26-Jun-07 09:06:55

hatwoman Tue 26-Jun-07 09:39:44

thanks for your posts - was feeling miserable last night. I spoke to sil this morning and apparently my mum was up to making jokes about the fact she's going to Venice next week! she was 69 when it happened last time - 76 is quite a bit older. I just hope we can all make sure that putting things right is as stress-free as possible for her.

Hulababy Tue 26-Jun-07 12:36:45

Oh your poor mum. I am in Sheffield, away fro the floods, but saw some of it this morning when I tried to get to work. Hope your mum is okay.

suedonim Tue 26-Jun-07 15:35:42

for your mum. I've been watching Sky news and it looks horrific for those poor people.

Flame Wed 27-Jun-07 07:39:30

How's she getting on?

hatwoman Wed 27-Jun-07 07:43:42

thanks for asking flame - it's looking like the damage is not as bad as last time - might get away with big clean up and new carpets/floors - but she's waiting to see an assessor from the insurance company before she knows for syre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now