Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I can't believe this attitude still exists amongst the judiciary these days

(33 Posts)
Freckle Mon 25-Jun-07 21:21:20

Having been a lawyer in the past and still involved in the judicial system now, I sometimes despair at the pronouncements of some judges.

How dare a judge say that the rape of a 10 yo girl warrants a lesser sentence "because she looks older than her age". Or, because she was dressed provocatively, it was her fault.

See here.

How long a sentence do you think he would have given if it had been his 10 yo daughter or granddaughter who had been raped?? I am totally outraged by this.

DrNortherner Mon 25-Jun-07 21:24:03

I saw this on tonight's news. I was outraged too.

Can we email and complain?

controlfreaky2 Mon 25-Jun-07 21:24:35

me too. (and am lawyer). hope the attorney general appeals. hope the judge gets a bollocking. absolutely unbelievable. should have got 10 years imo. someone holding these opinions shouldnt be allowed to continue to be a judge.

Lilymaid Mon 25-Jun-07 21:25:22

Judge Hall's previous comments to a victim are in this report. I'm stunned that the sentencing guidelines can permit this.

Boredveryverybored Mon 25-Jun-07 21:25:34

I wish I hadn't read that now, my blood is boiling
There is no way on earth a ten year old can look sixteen so saying she looked older is frankly ridiculous because no matter how old she looked it was still waaay too young.
Quite aside from her friggin age, he raped her ffs. She was hardly a consenting 15year old which would be a more hazy area.
I cannot understand any kind of thinking that could come up with this, I really can't.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Freckle Mon 25-Jun-07 21:26:37

Some of these judges need to go on intensive training courses in what is no longer considered to be an acceptable attitude. They really do live in a different world to the rest of us.

I sincerely hope that the AG appeals and the sentence is doubled or trebled - and that the judge is forced into early retirement.

rantinghousewife Mon 25-Jun-07 21:29:55

The judicial attitudes to most crimes comitted specifically against women are appalling IMHO. The legal system doesn't make it any easier either. It's weighted in favour of the accused in crimes of a sexual nature.

tearinghairout Mon 25-Jun-07 21:31:53

He doesn't seem to understand that the important point is that he raped her. So it's the fact that he forced himself on someone - someone way below the age of consent in this case - which is the point. How she was dressed, or that she 'looked' 16, are not the point.

Are these judges living in a parallel universe? What on earth has her clothing, or even her age, got to do with it, if it wasn't with her consent?

PersonalClown Mon 25-Jun-07 21:33:18

According to the Wright stuff, she did consent. Apparently she is a troubled girl who is in care.
So that makes it alright then?
He was charged with rape because of her age, not the circumstances.

Lilymaid Mon 25-Jun-07 21:33:37

For those who are interested the Sentencing Guidelines Council has recently revised the sentencing guidelines for sexual offences. Sorry, but it is very long! However, the considerable shorter Press Release says that the average sentence for rape is currently 7.4 years and that higher sentences should be considered for those who commit offences on children under 13. I think the judge is in for a difficult time!

rantinghousewife Mon 25-Jun-07 21:34:24

I thought the law stated that consent was not an issue if the victim is under 16!!

tiredemma Mon 25-Jun-07 21:34:37

What a fucking idiot of a man.

Didnt the same judge tell a convicted paedophile to buy his 6 yr old victim 'a bike'.

Disgraceful that this man holds the position that he does.

Freckle Mon 25-Jun-07 21:35:22

But how can a 10yo consent to sex? Most 10 yo don't even know exactly what it involves.

And I don't believe that the accused truly believed she was of an age to consent. Whether she was 10, 12 or 14 - he knew she was underage as there is no way a 10 yo can look like a 16 yo.

TwoIfBySea Mon 25-Jun-07 21:35:57

Oh yes she deserved it allright, why I just don't understand why we aren't all walking around in burkas because we are all asking for it.

FFS this judge is a disgrace. Asking for it, I thought that notion had died its due death long ago. Oh that makes me so f*ing angry. Who cares if this child said she was 20! She is a child, they took advantage of her state of mind let alone anything else.

Maybe the sex was consensual due to the fact that the child was likely to be persuaded by these two creeps and felt she maybe had no option. That judge should be ashamed of himself, they think they are Gods handing down their judgements without recourse.

TheArmadillo Mon 25-Jun-07 21:36:32

appalling.
18 months-2 years for raping a 10yo girl.

He could be out in 4 months.

And all this because she looks older?

What kind of message does this send out to the girl?

PersonalClown Mon 25-Jun-07 21:37:43

RHW-Exactly. If she was older, then he may have been charged with unlawful sex with a minor. Different jail terms I think.

TheArmadillo Mon 25-Jun-07 21:37:47

what message does this send out to other underage girls who have been attacked?

tiredemma Mon 25-Jun-07 21:38:46

can we not complain/petiton someone? ( You know when they increase sentences?)

DoubleBluff Mon 25-Jun-07 21:39:31

A girl of 10 cannot consent by virtue of her age.
Even if she verbally gave her consent it would not count and would still be rape.
I work in Child protection adn am amazed at the sentences handed down.
My colleagues and I often shrug (sarcastiaclly) ' Oh well it's only a child'
Drug dealers get more. I have known disqaulified drivers get more. It beggars belief.

tearinghairout Mon 25-Jun-07 21:41:44

Haver just read the Telegraph report, & it turns out the poor kid is in care, too.

This, incidentally, is the same judge who suggested another paedophile could buy his victim a bicycle to 'cheer her up'.

Words fail me.

Anyone know how we could write to the Attorney General, who's reviewing this case?

mumto3girls Mon 25-Jun-07 21:42:26

Where can we complain about this?

PersonalClown Mon 25-Jun-07 21:42:39

They were saying that she was looking for 'love' Abandonment issues or something.
Still doesn't excuse what he did.
I agree with Freckle, I think she was vunerable and he said the 'right' things.
Very different to informed consent in my view.

DoubleBluff Mon 25-Jun-07 21:44:28

This girl was probably more vulnerable than most.

Girls in the care system generally are.
They are so open to exploitation.
This should never have happened.
The Judge is so wrong.

PersonalClown Mon 25-Jun-07 21:47:30

Thank you Doublebluff. You put the point of age and consent better than I did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now