Talk

Advanced search

Harriet Harman as deputy leader of the Labour Party...

(45 Posts)
katelyle Sun 24-Jun-07 15:11:57

....good thing or bad thing? I was hoping for Hilary Benn - but I am very old fashioned!

beansprout Sun 24-Jun-07 15:26:36

I'm really pleased that she has won. She is, amongst other things, very committed to family friendly work policies. I'm glad they didn't just go for the Prescott replacement of Johnson.

SenoraPostrophe Sun 24-Jun-07 15:28:47

really, I was hoping for Hilary too. He talks a lot of sense that man.

haven't read much about Harriet.

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 15:29:08

I like Hilary benn but think Harriet harman better than Hazel Blears or Alan Johnson so oculd be worse

policywonk Sun 24-Jun-07 15:34:20

Makes you wish they'd had a proper leadership election, eh?

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 15:37:33

Ah I like Gordon Brwon. Sorry and all, but I do. We'll see in a few months but give the bloke a go.

And how can you have an election if nobody is rpepareed to stand- vote for Noddy?

policywonk Sun 24-Jun-07 15:39:57

Ah well, no, the idea of people standing was sort of implicit in the whole leadership-election scenario...

I am dreading Brown. But then, I hated Blair.

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 15:41:06

Like I sad I'll give him a go- let hm hang himself ro save himself.

Glad tos ee Blair out!

Genidef Sun 24-Jun-07 22:26:32

Please can someone clarify something?

IS Harriet Harmon Deputy Prime Minister? She is Deputy Leader of the Labour Party. GB is Leader of the Labour Party and PM. Ergo, I assume is Deputy PM.

What was different about her position, as I understood it, was that it was announced today she is also Chairwoman of the Labour Party(and I think outsted Hazel Blears from a job.)

My husband claims to have just heard on the BBC news that she is Deputy Leader of the Labour Party but NOT Deputy PM?

Did he mishear? If not, how can this be? Was it some arbitrary decision?

Please help. Thanks

Genidef Sun 24-Jun-07 22:26:55

Sorry, "I assume she is Deputy PM."

Piffle Sun 24-Jun-07 22:29:01

cannot say deputy PM as GB not PM just yet
She will be Dep PM as of tomorrow

edam Sun 24-Jun-07 22:38:50

No, she's not dep PM - the post of deputy leader doesn't automatically confer deputy PM-ship.

I heard the same thing on the news, that she'll be the chair of the Labour party but not dep PM.

Am glad she's back, thought it was a shame she went, really.

clutteredup Sun 24-Jun-07 22:40:27

Am I the only one who is concerned that we are about to have an unelected PM? Who incidentally is Scottish and therfore may have interests beyond the UK as a whole?

Piffle Sun 24-Jun-07 22:41:13

oh quite right he gets to choose his Dep PM eeeks
looks like he may go for Jack Straw...

expatinscotland Sun 24-Jun-07 22:42:07

There goes the neighbourhood . . .

clutteredup Sun 24-Jun-07 22:43:53

Nothing agaist Scots just a bit concerned about GB's interests - sorry should have made myself clear - too late to start a row -I've actually poseted elsewhere I'd like to move toScotland, life's better there I hear.

aviatrix Sun 24-Jun-07 22:44:59

Message withdrawn

clutteredup Sun 24-Jun-07 22:46:16

Yes but he chose himself in that case how more unelected can you get?

expatinscotland Sun 24-Jun-07 22:47:03

Oh, no worries there, cluttered, Scotland is the last thing that man is interested.

He'd sell his own Scottish granny if he thought there was some power (or a fiver) in it.

edam Sun 24-Jun-07 22:49:00

Well, no PM is ever personally elected. It's not like standing for president. People vote for the party, not the man/woman (clearly we all know who the leader is but there's no 'Blair for PM' box on the voting paper). And when all those people voted Labour last time, they must have realised there was a good chance they'd be getting Gordon before too long. In fact, hadn't Tony said that was his last election?

edam Sun 24-Jun-07 22:50:20

Disagree, expat, having met him, seen him in action and worked for a long-standing friend of his. He's a politician, of course he loves power, but he's not unprincipled, far from it.

expatinscotland Sun 24-Jun-07 22:51:15

I can't afford principles, especially not Brown's, which nearly left us homeless whilst I was pregnant.

That man's the closest thing to hate I've ever felt other than George Bush, Jr.

clutteredup Sun 24-Jun-07 22:51:39

erm yes but I didn't vote labour so i didn't vote for Gordy - like to point out I didn't votr Tory either - Liam Fox is our MP and he makes me cringe. TBH there's not many I would have, but if Boris Jonson were leader of the Tory Party I might be inclined to vote for the Tories just for fun!!

expatinscotland Sun 24-Jun-07 22:52:39

My soul purpose in naturalising was to be able to vote against Labour.

clutteredup Sun 24-Jun-07 22:55:09

Soul or sole - I guess soul as you sound very sincere and dedicated to the cause

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now