Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Two year old Mensa member

(16 Posts)
wessexgirl Fri 22-Jun-07 22:16:25

Why would you make your two year old join Mensa? Can you think of any reasons that are not related to outrageous smuggery?

LONDON (AFP) - A two-year-old girl with an intelligence quotient of 152 has become the youngest current member of British Mensa, the international society for highly-intelligent people, it said Friday.

Georgia Brown, aged two years and 10 months, was welcomed into the exclusive club after an assessment by a child psychologist, who was said to be "elated" as the findings were what would be expected for a five or six-year-old.

But the little girl, from Aldershot, in southern England, is still not the youngest member ever to join British Mensa. She missed out by six days to Ben Woods, who joined in the 1990s.

The previous youngest current member was a three-year-old boy with an IQ of 137, who joined in 2005.

Mensa normally only tests people over the age of 10 and a half but accepts younger children who are found to be within the top two percent of the population.

The girl's mother, Lucy, was quoted by the BBC News website as saying that she called in the child psychologist to test her daughter's IQ after spotting that she was a quick developer.

"It's fantastic. We're so proud as a family," she said.

Mensa, which is Latin for table, seeks to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity, according to its website.

It also seeks to provide a stimulating intellectual and social environment for its members as well as to encourage research into the nature, characteristics, and uses of intelligence.

merlotmama Fri 22-Jun-07 22:55:47

Outrageous smuggery, absolutely, wessexgirl. And yet, why? It's not due to anything other than luck.

"We're so proud as a family". Why? Beats me what there is to be proud of. Neither the family or the child did anything to cause this.

What on earth benefit will it be to the child, being a member of Mensa?

There again, what benefit does anyone derive from it, apart from showing off! Anyone out there a Mensa member and willing to enlighten me?

puffling Fri 22-Jun-07 22:57:31

MENSA is such a twee thing. It puts me in mind of folk dancing and naturism.

WendyWeber Fri 22-Jun-07 22:57:46

There's a thread on this in G&T. Consensus is she isn't even particularly special (but looks v sweet )

Wolfgirl Fri 22-Jun-07 23:02:43

wessexgirl, I think you have outrageous jealousy - ha ha ha ha!

I dont have an IQ - I seriously dont. Its not that Im not unitelligent, no - lets not get twistedly confused here. No, its just the darn time they give you to work anything out. I can do all the questions in my OWN time iyswim.

Im not ashamed I dont have an IQ, it makes others look good and so that makes me feel better.

Rowlers Fri 22-Jun-07 23:04:59

I'm in Densa.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Fri 22-Jun-07 23:07:37

TBH being an extremely intelligent person is sort of a extremely lonely afair, if she gets to meet other children/people through ot who may stimulate her brain, good for her!

wessexgirl Fri 22-Jun-07 23:12:37

Ah, thanks, WendyWeber, that other thread has given me more information. To be honest, I'm a bit scared of the G&T board so I give it a wide berth usually..eek!

I guess what I was trying to say is that I can't see how Mensa could be useful to anyone under school age. I can understand that astonishing intelligence can be lonely...but not at 2, surely.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Fri 22-Jun-07 23:16:52

I have seen a 4 year old doing a software program while at university. I don't know how good the program was, but the speed of his typing was unbelievable. I don't think he was the kind of kid that would enjoy playing in the sand or chasing each other for long. So... who knows, perhaps it's the same for this girl?

bran Fri 22-Jun-07 23:20:40

I asked ds (who turned 3 last week) one of the questions that was on the test (brother is to boy as sister is to what?) and he answered correctly at the top of his voice whilst also bouncing on the bed. He's definitely a genius.

I predict that the girl will be completely ordinary by the time she gets to secondary school.

wessexgirl Fri 22-Jun-07 23:23:06

Ah, Isobel, I see what you're saying, but was this four year old REALLY not the kind of kid who would like to play chasing or in the sandpit? Did he/she know that? Or were they told/led in that direction?

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Fri 22-Jun-07 23:26:13

I really don't know but the more that I can try, I can not imagine a way to make my four year old do that, let alone holding a pencil correctly!

Although much of the IQ is due to an estimulating environment/opportunites for learning... we can not forget that there is an element of being born with it.

poppy34 Sat 23-Jun-07 12:32:00

spot on wessexgirl - Why woudl you get her checked out by a child psychologist to join mensa? Isnt it more logical to try and explore other things WITHOUT having to resort to big smart look at my dd article in the daily mail.

Or is it more about parent's attention seeking needs than childs gifts?

PinkTulips Sat 23-Jun-07 12:40:09

[snort]

did a mensa test when i was a teen and was invited to join but the shower of smug ponces in the magazine scared me right off!

besides anything else IQ is calculated by establishing the percentage of your mental age compared to your real age, so a 13 year old who has the mental ability of a 13 year od will score a hundred, a 10 year old with the mind of a 15 year old will score 150.

it doesn't mean she's going to stay above average for life, only that she's slightly advanced now.

what a terrible thing to do to a child, she's going to have to spend the rest of her life living up to unrealistic expectations now.

fgs, einstein couldn't talk til he was 4 so childhood developments clearly had no impact on his adult intelligance!

Riss70 Sat 23-Jun-07 13:11:53

maybe it was a coup for the child psych rather than anyone else perhaps with a study in mind and needing subjects to secure grants etc

anyway if this is something that is going to part of the little misses life perhaps having access to the support of Mensa may be beneficial, just joining her now does not mean that it has to rule/shape her life - who has had their child christened and yet only goes to church for wedding and funerals!

Rochwen Sat 23-Jun-07 23:14:55

Don't you have to take Mensa's IQ test to become a member, how can a 2 y.o take their test by themselves. How?

...and if she hasn't taken the test how did they come up with her IQ?

I don't get it (obv not a member of mensa, lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now