Talk

Advanced search

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>POSTAL STRIKE<<<&lt;<<<<&lt;<<<<&lt;<<<<&lt;<<<<&lt;<<<<&lt;<<<

(10 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Thu 21-Jun-07 22:31:58

RTKangaMummy Thu 21-Jun-07 22:32:31

JUNE 29th

RTKangaMummy Thu 21-Jun-07 22:33:47

Last Updated: Thursday, 21 June 2007, 19:54 GMT 20:54 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Union sets Royal Mail strike date

Any national postal strike would be the first since 1996
Royal Mail workers are to hold a 24-hour strike on Friday, 29 June, the main postal union has confirmed.
The Communications Workers Union (CWU) blamed the walkout on Royal Mail bosses not taking negotiations seriously, and said further strikes could follow.

Royal Mail chief executive Adam Crozier said the organisation was "very disappointed" and would do all it could to limit the impact of the walkout.

The dispute is over pay and the union's fears of potential job cuts.

The strike will be the first nationwide walkout at the Royal Mail since 1996.

Both sides have said they would welcome additional talks.

'Refusing to negotiate'

"We've tried our hardest to reach a negotiated settlement with the company, but the truth is again that Royal Mail are refusing to negotiate whatsoever on reaching a settlement before strike action takes place," said CWU deputy general secretary Dave Ward.

"We have also agreed further strike action within two weeks from 29 June that is designed to maximise the impact on Royal Mail but at minimum cost to the CWU members."

Mr Ward added that the strike would include Post Office workers as well as Royal Mail delivery staff.

In addition to turning down the Royal Mail's 2.5% pay offer, the CWU fears the Royal Mail's ongoing restructuring plans will cause up to 40,000 job cuts.

'Losing business'

The Royal Mail counters that it cannot afford to offer any more money and needs to make itself more efficient.

"We are losing business because we have failed to change and modernise - and as a result, our costs and therefore our prices are higher than those that rivals are charging in the intensely competitive business mail market, which makes up 90% of all postings," said Mr Crozier.

"That's the issue everyone in Royal Mail has to face and why we are so ready to continue talking with the union about the need to modernise."

CWU members at the Royal Mail voted for the strike action with a majority of 77% on a turnout of 60%.

RedTartanLass Thu 21-Jun-07 22:38:03

Hey RTKM where have you been, not seen you post for a while?

RTKangaMummy Thu 21-Jun-07 22:50:33

Helloooooooooooooooo

I take time out in May/June cos of DT1 anniversary

How are you?

RedTartanLass Thu 21-Jun-07 23:02:36

Sorry RTKM, bit thoughtless . I'm ok!! same old, same old....

RTKangaMummy Thu 21-Jun-07 23:09:26

That is ok

I am fine now, it is just hard before/around the anniversary time iyswim

It is lovely to be missed, thanks for asking

RedTartanLass Thu 21-Jun-07 23:17:42

no one ever misses me....except flamesparrow did once.

RTKangaMummy Thu 21-Jun-07 23:20:31

Ahhhhhh

There are loads of new names on here since I came back or namechangers

Too confusing for a little Kanga like me

RedTartanLass Thu 21-Jun-07 23:30:49

OMG loads of names I don't recognise....not sure if they're new or namechangers!!

Not on enouhg to keep up

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: