Talk

Advanced search

Humankind vs Mankind

(12 Posts)
Want2bSupermum Wed 07-Feb-18 17:44:39

Reading the news this morning I was horrified at Justin Trudeau correcting a woman asking a question about volunteering to tell her she should say humankind and not mankind.

Doesn't he understand that 'man' is gender neutral and human also includes the word man?

I also thought it was beyond rude a patronizing to correct a female this way. If he wants to identify as a feminist it might help to actually show some respect for a woman asking a question.

BarrackerBarmer Wed 07-Feb-18 17:50:55

"we like to say peoplekind"

yes Justin, but you also like to criminalise people for defending their right to recognise biological sex, so, I'm not sure "we like to say..." is coming across as friendly as you'd like it to

Poshindevon Wed 07-Feb-18 17:55:08

Trudeau actually told the woman to use the word "peoplekind" as its more inclusive.
Downright rude to interrupt her with his mansplaining

iklboo Wed 07-Feb-18 17:57:28

Actually, Justin, we prefer 'carbon-based-lifeform-kind' <head tilt, tinkly laugh, pitying look>

Want2bSupermum Wed 07-Feb-18 18:08:34

It's odd that the media has reported he said Peoplekind but listening to the video it sounds like he said humankind.

cdtaylornats Wed 07-Feb-18 21:52:55

I always liked "gentlebeing" to avoid speciesism.

QuiQuaiQuod Sat 10-Feb-18 11:23:50

Next theyll be changing Doctor Whos CyberMEN to cyber nonentities.

Its like the whole MANhole cover fiasco.

ridiculous.

OP totally agree with you.

Patodp Sat 10-Feb-18 11:28:03

Trudeau supports male criminals being housed in with females. His ideas around "inclusivity" are of the kind that massively disadvantage women. So it is not a surprise he wants to interrupt and mansplain all over women.

iklboo Sat 10-Feb-18 11:44:38

I suppose I'll have to move to Personchester if I can't person-age his de-person-ds. I hope they're not person-datory.

QuiQuaiQuod Sat 10-Feb-18 19:43:38

ikboo grin

exactly.

CisMyArse Sat 17-Feb-18 19:28:14

ikl I'm loving your reply grin

cdtaylornats Sat 17-Feb-18 21:07:18

From an ecological point of view, every time you use humankind instead of mankind it takes up 2 more bytes. So if everybody in the UK used it once a week that's an extra 21 GBytes of storage (assuming backups) every year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now