Talk

Advanced search

Brexit - a serious question

(30 Posts)
LongingForSpring Sun 28-Jan-18 15:52:29

I have been following various radio/TV debates recently where a number of young people have been involved in discussions about Brexit and, as I already knew, most of them are extremely pro-EU. Could somebody please explain to me exactly why so many young people are passionate about remaining part of the EU?

SolemnlyFarts Sun 28-Jan-18 15:53:30

Maybe they would have liked to have the option to live and study in the EU27 countries at some point?

fourmileswide Sun 28-Jan-18 15:55:26

My dc were absolutely against remaining in the EU, so it isn't all of them by a long shot.

specialsubject Mon 29-Jan-18 10:08:30

Perhaps they don't realise that living and studying abroad will still be possible.

There's no real figures as to age split on the vote, it is all extrapolation. Because of the strong pressure that not thinking the EU is perfect makes you a thick racist, you only see the pro-eu types in these debates.

sinceyouask Mon 29-Jan-18 10:18:50

Could somebody please explain to me exactly why so many young people are passionate about remaining part of the EU?

Probably not, as I'm no longer young. Turn the question round maybe- why should young people not be passionate about remaining in the EU?

Subtleconstraints Mon 29-Jan-18 15:22:21

In addition to the huge opportunities the EU provides in terms of living, studying, working in other EU countries (and having the same rights as the citizens in those countries) I think young people have become disillusioned with in-fighting, division and adversarial politics.
They can see the value of close cooperation with our closest neighbours and trading partners, particularly when it comes to cross-border matters such as the environment, peace-keeping, education (especially in the sciences) etc and they can see the value in compromise for the greater good.

Also, the UK's population is increasingly diverse. Many young people have mixed parentage in terms of nationality, friends and colleagues from other countries and went to school with classmates from all around the world. They understand that you can have many different allegiances and still be loyal to where you happen to live. The nation state is not as important to them as it is to the older generation.

sirlee66 Mon 29-Jan-18 15:31:51

A complete guess... But most of the celebs, comedians and other social media people are generally remainers... It's cool and trendy

It seems like of you voted leave you're labeled as a racist. Definitely not cool and trendy.

Nyx Tue 30-Jan-18 13:56:36

Specialsubject, where has anyone said the EU is perfect? I don't think it's perfect. Comments like that aren't helpful. Nobody I know thinks it's perfect. I still voted remain though.

Young people I know want to stay in the EU so that they can continue to work and study in EU countries as easily as they can now. Also because they see the EU as a way to stop war breaking out between European countries. And also because they don't want to be cut off from the advantages of things like discounted European rail travel etc.

specialsubject Tue 30-Jan-18 16:53:21

I know people who think there was no reason to vote leave unless you are a racist, to them the EU is the only answer. Usually Londoners or people living in the EU!

There was no right answer, much good about the EU and much bad. Trouble is many of the screamers on both sides cannot see it. Hence the abuse.

cuttingcarbonemissions Tue 30-Jan-18 17:01:32

Perhaps they are less attached to the nationalist myths that appeal to so many older Brexiteers - we won the war, Britain stood alone, Germans are baddies and French and Belgians needed rescuing etc etc....
Perhaps they are less concerned about EU immigration?
Perhaps they are less convinced by the idea that immigration from the Commonwealth will somehow be better?
Just a pity they did not care enough to cote in the referendum.

Julie8008 Wed 31-Jan-18 03:18:05

A lot of money is spent 'educating' young people on the virtues of the EU, for example in schools. In some countries it would be considered brain washing in others its only propaganda. In the UK its just bias.

Nyx Wed 31-Jan-18 13:06:29

Julie, I don't agree that 'a lot of money is spent 'educating' young people on the virtues of the EU'. Do you have any proof of that? My DD hasn't had any EU propaganda or brain washing as far as I'm aware.

DGRossetti Wed 31-Jan-18 14:50:03

Because they were born into it ?

Because for all their life it's been there ?

How about turning the question around, and ask why so many people say they are are passionate about the United Kingdom ?

SongsOfInnocence Wed 31-Jan-18 14:56:31

People under 45 have lived all their life in the EU and its predecessor organisations. Now this is being taken away from them.

berryferry Wed 31-Jan-18 20:02:46

People under 45 have lived all their life in the EU and its predecessor organisations. Now this is being taken away from them

This. Most can only see benefits, what are the cons of being in the eu? No sovereignty? Young people don't care as much about sovereignty as old people.

EggsonHeads Wed 31-Jan-18 20:06:16

Well to be fair it is all they've ever known.

LondonMum8 Wed 31-Jan-18 20:09:24

Perhaps they'd rather not partake in a couple lost decades? Just a thought.

MongerTruffle Wed 31-Jan-18 20:10:10

Young people don't care as much about sovereignty as old people.
To be fair Brexit would mean indirectly giving up sovereignty to the US and China.

SleightOfMind Wed 31-Jan-18 20:33:09

The negative effect on the economy in the immediate aftermath of the EU (not making a judgement on long term effects) will have a disproportionately big impact on the younger generation.

They’re already disadvantaged when it comes to housing/decent careers/wages and pensions. This must feel like the final nail in the coffin.

BrownLiverSpot Wed 31-Jan-18 20:40:03

Not all youngsters are remainers. I live in a place with plenty of very wealthy families and the youngsters from those families plus most of their friends all voted to leave. Of course they won't really be affected either way. Most of them are not racist either and by all appearances have gone to good schools.

DGRossetti Thu 01-Feb-18 07:13:15

Young people don't care as much about sovereignty as old people

Or young people realised the UK is a sovereign now as it ever was, and that "taking back control" was a meaningless soundbite for people who couldn't be bothered to educate themselves ?

BMW6 Thu 01-Feb-18 14:21:07

My 23 year old university educated niece thought that no-one from UK would be able to visit EU countries post Brexit. Not even for holiday. She is rather blush now.

Dapplegrey Thu 01-Feb-18 14:24:23

BMW6 - my 34 year old stepdaughter thought much the same, and still believes that to be the case.
However, she also thought Sinn Fein was a person.......

LondonMum8 Thu 01-Feb-18 14:33:12

@BMW6: The most inane and unbelievable comment of the day. Congrats!

BlindYeo Thu 01-Feb-18 23:46:50

It was the Magic Stars, OP!

metro.co.uk/2016/06/01/the-message-on-the-bottom-of-this-packet-of-magic-stars-has-sent-brits-into-meltdown-5917787/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now