Talk

Advanced search

I was told trump wouldn't be able to do anything too drastic

(26 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Mon 04-Dec-17 21:42:22

There are many checks and balances that will stop him getting crazy ideas into reality.
Are people still standing by that?

StealthPolarBear Mon 04-Dec-17 21:46:40

What happened to those checks and balances to turn a megalomaniac into a nutty but benign leader then?

StealthPolarBear Mon 04-Dec-17 21:59:28

Are we still overreacting? He has his travel ban. I assume the wall will be next. Still he can't do too much harm can he

StealthPolarBear Tue 05-Dec-17 06:02:44

And coming so soon after those videos he shared I think sends a message

Christmascardqueen Tue 05-Dec-17 06:28:58

www.cbc.ca/beta/news/thenational/trump-s-wall-for-mexico-takes-shape-1.4433054
Seen tonight on the nightly news.

StealthPolarBear Tue 05-Dec-17 07:13:32

Oh but don't worry he won't do abything extreme. He won't be allowed.
You IDIOTS
this is a fucking diaaster

DrivenToDespair Tue 05-Dec-17 08:25:29

It is a fucking disaster.

The wall is just a prototype at the moment, though. There is quite a gap between prototype and production, and perhaps he’ll be impeached or dead from his fast food diet before it gets started...

doctorcuntybollocks Tue 05-Dec-17 18:45:50

It does rather reduce one's confidence that someone will step in if he looks like triggering the apocalypse.

StealthPolarBear Tue 05-Dec-17 20:31:45

Let's hope driven.
Tbh I am furious that we were mocked for overreacting. We were told there was no way trumps madder schemes would make it into the light of day. Well now we have a court backing his Muslim ban. We have everyone around him resigning and being sacked from scandal but somehow he's still standing because he's Teflon.

CoolCarrie Tue 05-Dec-17 22:47:33

He has pissed off many, falling out with the F.B.I was great as they could bring an end to him, one way or another..., we hope.

StealthPolarBear Wed 06-Dec-17 06:18:48

He's untouchable

EvilRingahBitch Wed 06-Dec-17 06:42:19

The wall - though a grotesque waste of resources - isn’t a disastrous thing for him to do is it? There’s lots of walls already on the border so building a big new one isn’t intrinsically harmful. Stupid, but not harmful.

PuffinsSitOnMuffins Wed 06-Dec-17 07:07:34

I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be about the tax bill - cutting taxes for the richest while removing health insurance from 13 million. It will kill thousands of people and cause a huge amount of suffering.

wheresmyphone Wed 06-Dec-17 07:17:57

Oh and let's inflame the middie east and move the American embassy.... that will go well😱

EvilRingahBitch Wed 06-Dec-17 07:19:38

Or the Jerusalem thing which appears to the outside observer to be dangerously batshit. Mind you it’s been US policy to do so for the past twenty years. They’ve been putting it off and off and off in the manner common to US politics - only Trump actually did it.

Lweji Wed 06-Dec-17 07:22:43

YANBU.
It's utterly depressing. Not only I (we) could see this coming, as what's ahead looks a lot worse.

wasthataburp Wed 06-Dec-17 07:26:13

President Obama banned immigration from Iraq for six months in 2011 but you didn't hear anything about that.

Obama also started the wall but you also don't hear about that!

EvilRingahBitch Wed 06-Dec-17 07:31:51

George W Bush started the wall, not Obama. (There were bits already but he passed the legislation which made the big push for major fencing).

thecatfromjapan Wed 06-Dec-17 07:33:22

The tax bill is terrible.

He's legitimising and mainstreaming the far right.

Stealth, you were right, it is pretty terrible.

Lweji Wed 06-Dec-17 07:38:58

President Obama banned immigration from Iraq for six months in 2011 but you didn't hear anything about that.

Because it was only 6 months, it was only one country that was in chaos (ultimately thanks to another Republican President).

Not at all the same.

Lweji Wed 06-Dec-17 07:43:04

The wall that Trump proposed originally was way and above the fence in place now.
But his immigration policies have a far worse reaching.
Ending DACA. Ending certain types of immigration (not so much white). Accusing immigrants of all evils.

While not bothering with the US nationals shooting eachother.
Or people with no health insurance.
Or increasing taxes on working families while reducing on the rich. He's the ultimate Robin Crook.

Lweji Wed 06-Dec-17 07:44:27

Anyway, join us here:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3104707--Uneasy-lies-the-head-that-wears-the-crown-as-it-should-be-Trump-thread-continued

Movablefeast Wed 06-Dec-17 07:44:46

The tax bill is something Republicans in Congress have been pushing for years. They are using Trump to get their agenda through.Trump can only do much of what he wants to do with the support of Congress and Republicans have a majority in the House and Senate.

The "Travel Ban" has been allowed to proceed temporarily while the Supreme Court studies the case - the final decision has not been made

Lweji Wed 06-Dec-17 07:53:28

Yes, the main problem is how GOP is right now. Trump suits them. That's why there are no checks and balances.

It's still not looking good for the travel ban. They keep insisting and will get it through, even if under the table, as they have with the tax bill (full of underhand add ons).

StealthPolarBear Wed 06-Dec-17 08:13:47

I don't know enough about the tax bill, will find out more thanks.
There was reported a supreme court backing of the travel ban from certain countries earlier this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now