Talk

Advanced search

Levi Bellfield/ Lin and Megan Russell

(82 Posts)
Snap8TheCat Wed 29-Nov-17 15:37:56

Just seen that there’s new evidence linking him to the murders, I remember being on a thread around the time of the documentary on the murders and links being mentioned then.

Is the new evidence just the witness or anything else do we know?

rainbowstardrops Wed 29-Nov-17 15:52:52

I don’t know but I was reading about this on the BBC news app this morning.
Bellfield has previous convictions for bludgeoning people with hammers and Lin and Megan Russell (and Josie) were attacked/killed in the same way.
The BBC report suggested that the man in prison for their murders right now, is there with zero forensic evidence but on the say so of a fellow inmate.
It needs someone to re-examine the whole case that’s for sure

cowbag1 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:56:34

Yes I remember reading about the man in prison for their murders, Michael Stone I think his name is. The case against him didn't sound particularly solid to me and I think his lawyer has been mentioning
Levi Bellfield being linked to the crime for a few years now.

BabloHoney Wed 29-Nov-17 16:14:59

Apparently Bellfield has confessed.

Such a shocking crime, I dread to think what effect this new evidence will have on poor Josie and her father.

Snap8TheCat Wed 29-Nov-17 16:29:40

Others say there is evidence to say he couldn’t possibly have been in Chillenden on the day and he’s just made a perverted attention seeking fake confession.

AskingForAnEnemy Wed 29-Nov-17 16:42:50

He has apparently confessed, Stone has been in prison for 19 years and his conviction was certainly unstable. There was a lot of evidence that pointed at Bellfield being the killer

Fairylea Wed 29-Nov-17 16:44:14

Apparently he’s made a detailed confession that contains information only the killer would have known.

It was such a dreadful, terrible crime. sad

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Wed 29-Nov-17 16:56:39

Belfield has denied making a confession to another inmate. Stone's conviction also rests purely on a confession to another inmate. There was no DNA evidence tying him to the scene according to the expert panel. There was some circumstantial evidence about where he was I seem to remember from the BBC2 documentary though, and I think there was something about some physical evidence missing so couldn't be re-tested. It does seem a bit different from Belfield's other victims (young women) type of location though (abduction from urban settings) though obviously it doesn't rule him out. The BBC app is saying there is corroborating evidence too.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 29-Nov-17 16:58:12

I think the publicity surrounding this has come from Michael Stones legal team so I would take it all with a pinch of salt.

BarbarianMum Wed 29-Nov-17 17:02:55

IMO someone who has been in prison for 19 years and is still claiming he's innocent probably is.

sunshinemeg Wed 29-Nov-17 17:40:49

I won't explain further but I know a relative who has spent time with Stone. He has always said he believes him innocent. He fully admitted to a less than perfect background but never a murderer. I feel so so sorry for Stone if it now turns out her has basically had his entire life ruined because the police were so desperate to get a conviction for such an abhorrent crime that they built a case around shaky evidence for the wrong man.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 29-Nov-17 17:47:00

I guess after the incorrect conviction for the Rachel Nicol (?) Wimbledon common murder it does make you wonder.

prampushingdownthehighst Wed 29-Nov-17 17:52:43

sunshinemeg
Absolutely

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 29-Nov-17 21:35:59

There is a LOT of circumstantial evidence against Bellfield & no forensic evidence against Stone. This is from an article 6 years ago, when his legal team were trying to get an investigation opened into Bellfield following the Milly Dowler conviction :

Bellfield's ex-girlfriend Emma Mills has claimed that he used to drive to Kent in the 1990s to sell drugs and work as a wheel clamper

Josie described a 'beige' Ford at the murder scene. At the time, Bellfield was driving a beige E-registered Ford Sapphire which he later reported stolen

Bellfield, who was obsessed with schoolgirls, abducted Milly as she walked home from school. Lin Russell was walking Megan and Josie home at a similar time after a day at school

The Russells were attacked from behind by a man with a hammer, the same method Bellfield used to kill Marsha McDonnell in 2003 and Amelie Delagrange in 2004

Bellfield is 6ft 1in. Josie described her attacker as being a little taller than her father, who is 6ft. Stone is 5ft 7in. The e-fit issued by police bears some likeness to Bellfield, with a round face and chubby cheeks. Stone is thin-faced

Josie said her attacker had spiky hair – worn in a similar style to Bellfield

A confession allegedly made by Stone to a drug addict in an adjoining cell through a gap in some piping is still claimed by his lawyers to be unreliable

A shoelace used to tie up the Russells contained DNA traces from other people and not Stone. His legal team want to conduct new forensic tests on it but say that they were sent an 'empty envelope' by Kent Police

re the "stolen" car - didn't he do the same thing with a red car in the Milly Dowler case?

Stone was convicted partly because he once hit somebody with a 'hammer' - but he hit a man, who was already attacking him, & it was a mallet which happened to be there. Hitting women & children from behind with a hammer is what Bellfield does angry

& Stone has always denied it.

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 29-Nov-17 21:40:50

Stone's legal team are desperate for another police force to investigate now. Kent Police have not acted honestly, & clearly do not want to reopen the case & be exposed as having pushed through such a blatant miscarriage of justice.

HarryBiscuit Wed 29-Nov-17 21:42:09

Isn't there a MNer who was fairly sure they came across Levi Bellfield in a car park? Iirc he offered to give her a lift to a cash machine or something.

LizzieSiddal Wed 29-Nov-17 21:45:37

LapDance all that’s you’ve posted was in the BBC documentary earlier this year. Yes Bellfield did report his car stolen the day after he murderer Molly Dowler. It’s too much of a coincidence that his car was also stolen the day after Lin and Megan were murdered.

The fact the shoelace went missing is disgusting and should be investigated. Whoever is responsible for it’s loss, should be prosecuted.

Battleax Wed 29-Nov-17 21:48:26

Yes I remember reading about the man in prison for their murders, Michael Stone I think his name is. The case against him didn't sound particularly solid to me

It was evidence from fellow prisoners wasn't it? It did always sound iffy as hell.

Battleax Wed 29-Nov-17 21:50:09

I feel so so sorry for Stone if it now turns out her has basically had his entire life ruined because the police were so desperate to get a conviction for such an abhorrent crime that they built a case around shaky evidence for the wrong man.

At least if it's all ironed out now, he gets out. That's something.

Maybe Kent Police will be looked at carefully too.

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 29-Nov-17 21:50:53

Lizzie I picked all of that up from a DM article in June 2011. (Didn't link because DM!)

megletthesecond Wed 29-Nov-17 21:51:19

I thought Stone was released years ago, the case sounded very weak. Didn't realise he was still inside.

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 29-Nov-17 21:51:40

Stone's legal team have been ignored & smacked down by Kent police for at least 6 years. It's time something was done

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 29-Nov-17 21:52:40

meglet, he was reprieved, & then reconvicted on the strength of testimony from the druggie in the adjoining cell. Kent police determined not to be proved wrong angry

Battleax Wed 29-Nov-17 21:55:04

He's not scheduled for release until 2023 according to his Wikipedia article.

NightmareOnElmoStreet Wed 29-Nov-17 21:56:21

Ever since Bellfield was convicted I've wondered whether he was involved in the Russell murders. Billie-Jo Jenkins was killed by a similar method and if I recall the conviction made for that murder was also shaky- I wonder if anyone will look at that again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now