Talk

Advanced search

The Modern Day Slave Trade

(4 Posts)
WhatAmIMissing Wed 29-Nov-17 12:31:28

Surprised to have seen nothing yet on MN.

I will be marching outside the Libyan embassy on the 9th Dec.

Do any wise minds have any better ideas as to what can be done to make an actual difference?

Libya I fear is the tip of he iceberg.

I'm stuck with the idea that free labour is one of things that point to our lives here in the West costing more than we can afford. Food, natural resources, materials, clothing etc being sold to us at it's true cost will result in us not being able to consume how we do. Is mankind striving for more than we can afford and is our idea of what is normal above what it 'should' be?

Unless we manage our purchasing will slave and unfair labour stop?

Will our oceans stop being filled with plastic crap as for now it is the cheapest way to get things to us?

WhatAmIMissing Wed 29-Nov-17 12:32:51

March - Saturday 9th December

scaryteacher Thu 30-Nov-17 09:12:43

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/29/europe-promises-44bn-marshall-plan-africa-migrant-slavery-libya/

I am not convinced that EU intervention is the right thing, especially on the quasi military policing front, if that means EUGENDFOR. Pushing money in might help, but money has been pushed into Africa since I was a kid, (and I'm now 51), and I can't see that the problems are any different, or are on their way to being solved.

NavyGold Thu 30-Nov-17 10:44:18

I wish I could join this Protest but I'm out of the country sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now