Advanced search

Abortion clinic protests to be banned?

(74 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Sun 26-Nov-17 20:51:59

Really hope so, this would be a fantastic step forward
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42129222

Maursh Mon 27-Nov-17 09:08:18

I really hope not!
Even if you do not agree with their point of view you should defend their right to say it
Existing laws already cover problems that arise - this would simply be an infringement on freedom of speech. What will be next?

graceyg Mon 27-Nov-17 09:10:22

There rightly should be an exclusion zone . They should not be free to stand directly outside a clinic spewing fake information as women who are potentially already in a stressful situation have to pass by .

WorkingItOutAsIGo Mon 27-Nov-17 09:10:30

Ah you are confusing free speech and deliberate harassment of vulnerable women. The issue is not banning anti abortion protests, it is banning protesting right outside an abortion clinic and abusing women and staff going about their legal business. That’s not free speech.

annandale Mon 27-Nov-17 09:14:39

I would like to see an exclusion zone for any protest around a healthcare facility of about 200 miles

sinceyouask Mon 27-Nov-17 09:16:42

Good. I have only contempt for those people and their defenders.

nightshade Mon 27-Nov-17 09:17:56

About time...

sashh Mon 27-Nov-17 09:33:14

Even if you do not agree with their point of view you should defend their right to say it

No I don't. The only point in protesting a clinic is to abuse women. A protest outside parliament would be appropriate because that is where laws are made.

Julie8008 Mon 27-Nov-17 10:42:51

About time we stopped allowing people to traumatise vulnerable women excercising legal rights over their own body.

ZigZagandDustin Mon 27-Nov-17 10:46:03

About bloody time. Protesters at clinics are disgusting scum.

I've no problem with people who are pro life though.

StealthPolarBear Mon 27-Nov-17 10:49:24

Presume those who are pro life are pro the life of tbe mother?
Or is that not the case

TrojansAreSmegheads Mon 27-Nov-17 10:55:21

Good.

Free speech does not mean freedom to harrass and threaten without consequences.

If they want to object to what other people do with their bodies then they can write to their mp or start a petition or something. That is freedom of speech.

A mob standing outside a clinic shouting abuse at distressed women and threatening death to staff (so much for the sanctity of life) is not what freedom of speech is about.

And I'd believe that they cared about the babies if they cut a cheque for £250,000 each time they hassled a woman to have a child. You are so desperate for this life in the world, why don't you pay the cost of raising it?

But funnily enough, all that care for babies disapears after the birth.

One would almost think that the real issue here was policing and controlling women.

Ttbb Mon 27-Nov-17 10:58:35

There is a difference between exercising their right to free speech and harassment. I'm as very anti-circumcision but that doesn't mean that I stand around outside clinics where such procedures are performed yelling at mothers and their babies that they're going to go to hell. Share you view, yes. Engage in meaningful debate and discussion, yes. Use your views are an exuse to intimidate, no.

CheesyFootballs Mon 27-Nov-17 11:00:47

These people are clearly unhinged and its a shame it has taken so long for this issue to be tackled.

Harassing women who are accessing health services should never have been tolerated in the first place!

ZigZagandDustin Mon 27-Nov-17 11:01:31

Stealth not sure if you were talking to me. But I am very very much pro-choice. I don't however have an issue with people who are pro life, however much I wish they could see things from a different perspective.

So I can't comment on your question regarding whether pro-lifers are also pro-mothers life. I'm not a pro-lifer and never ever was or will be.

StealthPolarBear Mon 27-Nov-17 11:02:46

Yes I was. I do have a problem with pro lifers in that they don't seem to give a fuck about the life of the mother,as far as I'm aware anyway.

Queenofthedrivensnow Mon 27-Nov-17 11:02:48

Great brews thank bloody god!!

Blahblahblahzeeblah Mon 27-Nov-17 11:03:50

I'm very pro-life but the protests outside of abortion clinics are awful. For most women it's not just an average health care service, an abortion is a really hard decision and I cannot imagine having all of those awful images in my face at that time. Defending the life of an u born child is all well and good but we have to think of the life of the woman too. She deserves compassion.

StealthPolarBear Mon 27-Nov-17 11:03:54

Queen I don't th ink it's a done deal. Don't go counting chickens.

StealthPolarBear Mon 27-Nov-17 11:04:26

Thank you blah - there's one pro lifer that clearly does smile

Merida83 Mon 27-Nov-17 11:16:50

This would be great progress.

AdoraBell Mon 27-Nov-17 11:25:06

Totally agree Trojans

acatcalledjohn Mon 27-Nov-17 13:00:33

That is fab news, although long overdue. There was a change.org petition about 2 years ago.

@Maursh: I suggest they protest there where laws can be changed. Protesting outside a clinic doesn't achieve anything other than harassing the women using the service. Let's be honest here, they stand there with placards that call the women in question murderers.

Freedom of speech is not a licence to abuse & harass and yet so many people seem to think it is.

TinselTwins Mon 27-Nov-17 13:05:34

"Even if you do not agree with their point of view you should defend their right to say it"was

I defend their rights to say it to their MP, to organise protests at Westminster or their local town halls, to express their views to the media etc

Harassment however is never okay.

prh47bridge Mon 27-Nov-17 15:12:36

I do have a problem with pro lifers in that they don't seem to give a fuck about the life of the mother,as far as I'm aware anyway

There are many different pro-life views. Some are against abortion under any circumstances. Some will accept abortion if the mother's life is in danger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now