Talk

Advanced search

Suspected Terrorist Attack in New York

(17 Posts)
exLtEveDallas Tue 31-Oct-17 20:46:08

news.sky.com

A shooting and a truck driven into a bike lane. Police treating it as a Terrorist attack

news.sky.com/story/two-dead-in-shooting-near-911-memorial-site-11107540

Sketchy details so far.

LoverOfCake Tue 31-Oct-17 20:47:32

I think that's usually the initial thought these days. In America I'm more likely to think of a shooting as a nutter with a gun until there is definite confirmation otherwise.

exLtEveDallas Tue 31-Oct-17 20:51:41

This seems a bit more in depth www.kwch.com/content/news/Several-hurt-after-truck-plows-through-pedestrians-in-New-York-454319383.html

A friends daughter (and about 20 other kids - school trip) is currently ‘locked in’ to a hotel a couple of blocks away. The news over there is def saying terrorist, but obviously they won’t know for sure yet.

LoverOfCake Tue 31-Oct-17 20:56:55

From what it says on the BBC he drove a truck into the pedestrians and then got out brandishing imitation guns. Perhaps he wanted it to look like a gun crime rather than terrorist? Either way it appears the police have blown the bastard away.

Terrifying for anyone who is there or has friends/family caught up there. My XH was in NY only a few weeks ago and their work head office is there. They were already caught up in the 9/11 bombings as they were based in the WTC at the time (XH didn't work for them then,) but hope that no-one is caught up in or anywhere near this. I think they might be on the other side of the river now though.

AcrossthePond55 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:00:59

www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/nyregion/police-shooting-lower-manhattan.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Latest reports per MSNBC;

FBI counter terror group on the scene
Lone driver shouted 'Allahu Akbar'
Two guns, one believed to be BB/pellet gun
In custody in the hospital
May have targeted a school bus
6 deceased, 'dozen or more' injured

donajimena Tue 31-Oct-17 21:02:41

sad

BriechonCheese Tue 31-Oct-17 22:46:59

Goodness me.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 31-Oct-17 22:51:33

Just seen it on the news

Bastard!

Mumof56 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:51:51

sad these occurances are becoming too regular

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 31-Oct-17 22:58:38

All jumping on bandwagons.... think they are clever, and special

SusannahL Wed 01-Nov-17 17:18:10

And THIS is exactly why Donald Trump is determined to keep these vile individuals out of the US, by banning immigrants from certain Muslim countries.

I m by no means his biggest fan but I am absolutely with him on this.

How I wish we, and Europe could secure our borders.

nancy75 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:21:38

The guy is from Uzbekistan, I don’t think that’s on Trumps no fly list? So it would still be a racist law that wouldn’t have stopped this attack, ih and the guy has had a green card for 7 years, he was probably radicalised in the U.S

Iflyaway Wed 01-Nov-17 20:30:56

OFFS What the fuck is wrong with these guys?!

I can't even bear to look at his sick ugly face on telly.

I do think they should stop posting photos of them on the news....
Maybe their own sick fantasy of becoming famous..?!

They must hate their life to go this far.

angry

Charolais Wed 01-Nov-17 20:54:56

nancy75 it is not racist to ban people from certain countries. Coming to America is not a right. We have the right to defend our shores from undesirables. Do you have locks on the doors of your house or do you let anybody move in?

He was not radicalized by American citizens, he was radicalized by his own people on the internet.

nancy75 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:10:41

Charolais the locks in my front door keep everyone out, they don’t magically open for people of the right religion

SomePpl Wed 01-Nov-17 21:26:08

What about the things we have done to them? slaves from Africa, colonising India.... what about the things we continue to do to them? Invade their countries, turn them into war zones.

These people are mentally disturbed, you however are not. So why make such despicable comments?

you don't need to fall to their level, have compassion in your heart, we are after all human- it is not us against them. This upsets me too but trust me, this is nothing compared to what Isis is doing to people in Muslim countries.

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 02-Nov-17 00:01:16

What a load of claptrap..... mentally disturbed my arse!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now