Talk

Advanced search

What is happening a Sellafield?

(7 Posts)
fairyofallthings Sat 21-Oct-17 09:32:13

The BBC are saying that explosive experts have been called in, apparently nothing to worry about but it's a nuclear power station FFS.

Roomba Sat 21-Oct-17 09:58:19

I hope it's nothing serious as I'm not too far away today! No idea myself though.

Roomba Sat 21-Oct-17 10:01:17

I just read this - it doesn't sound too alarming tbh. Things like that are fairly routine there afaik.

dublinia Sat 21-Oct-17 14:25:23

Still ongoing I think. shock

Farahilda Sat 21-Oct-17 14:33:20

From BBC:

"Bomb disposal experts were called to the Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant after a routine audit of chemicals stored in a laboratory.
Sellafield Ltd said it was "not a radiological event" but involved a small number of canisters of solvents which had been on the site since 1992.
However, there were concerns they could become hazardous if exposed to oxygen.
An area of the site has been cordoned off, and the canisters will be disposed of by controlled explosion.
Sellafield said in a statement: "These chemicals are used extensively in many industries and are well understood.
"Because this is happening on the Sellafield site we exercise extreme caution and leave nothing to chance."

dublinia Sat 21-Oct-17 15:48:22

Sellafield Ltd
Are they the company accused of cover ups before ( a whistle blower accused them) ?

dublinia Sun 22-Oct-17 09:13:03

OP Any more news on this incident ?
Tis very strange and eerily quiet in the media about it.
Sky are promoting an anti plastics campaign in the seas and yet no mention of a potential catastrophe in the Irish Sea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: