Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We need to do something before it's too late!

(6 Posts)
80sMum Fri 13-Oct-17 09:01:41

Unless something is done on a global scale to restrict the use of antibiotics, we risk losing them altogether, as more and more lose their effectiveness due to increasing resistance.

I find this a truly frightening prospect. Imagine having an operation with no antibiotics back-up if infection develops. How about having a simple cut or graze that becomes infected and won't get better?

Is anything actually being done? I fear that the world is largely ignoring this problem - and we are sleep-walking into disaster! sad

Here's what the Chief Medical Officer is saying.

Bookaboo Sat 14-Oct-17 08:20:38

I think there has been a meeting this week about tackling antibiotic resistance, which is why this is in the news.
I think we're just all being reminded that this problem hasn't gone away (as some people might think if they don't hear anything in the news). And the message might finally get out to stupid people who expect ABs for a cold, or who save old prescriptions then self medicate.
Also a huge problem of people being able to buy ABs over the counter in places like Eastern Europe and India which doesn't really seem to have been tackled yet.

Vitalogy Wed 01-Nov-17 18:03:13

It's all part of the depopulation agenda.
We certainly are sleep walking into this, as this thread proves.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 04-Nov-17 02:12:53

I was thinking about this earlier.

Outbreak of plague in Madagascar, treated by <drumroll> early administration of antibiotics. Imagine 50% of the population dying.

SandLand Sat 04-Nov-17 03:18:36

The UK is actually pretty good. You first need to regulate antibiotics elsewhere.
I can get them over the counter here in Saudi.

OrchidDelight Sat 04-Nov-17 03:34:17

Antibiotic use is a far bigger problem in animal farming than in in humans. Many farms in other countries will preventatively medicate all their animals with antibiotics normally used as a last resort in the UK. The human side of the problem is a drop in the ocean by comparison. I wish I could find the article I read the other month on this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now