Talk

Advanced search

Words fail me: Benefits cap and "kinship carers"

(15 Posts)
LurkingHusband Fri 06-Oct-17 18:41:53

www.theguardian.com/society/video/2017/oct/01/penalised-for-caring-alyssa-and-the-two-child-benefits-trap

Alyssa became a 'kinship carer' for her younger siblings when their mother unexpectedly died in 2013. Now that she has decided to start her own family, the government refuses to grant her tax credits or a Sure Start maternity loan due to the two-child benefits cap

Where are all those Tory defenders ?

thecatfromjapan Fri 06-Oct-17 18:52:22

That is awful. Utterly appalling and immoral. sad

PortiaCastis Fri 06-Oct-17 18:54:10

Appalling

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Fri 06-Oct-17 18:55:02

I havent read the link yet...just about to

But thats fucking disgusting ....have they maybe had someone a bit overexcited with their job who may have it wrong

I appreciate that i am desperately clutching at straws here

What a shower of cunts

OatcakeCravings Fri 06-Oct-17 18:56:08

Disgraceful and it was apparently pointed out to the Government before this policy was put in place and obviously as they are Tories they didn't give a shit.

BigChocFrenzy Fri 06-Oct-17 19:03:33

Rare now that action by any government shocks me.
This does.

Shameful, heartless, disgusting
angry

Alyssa deserves a bloody medal, not to be punished for her caring role
She saved her siblings from going into care, with all that meant for their probable future.
(She also saved the taxpayer a load of money)

(mostly Tory) politicians indignantly ask why people don't care for their vulnerable family member, instead of leaving it to the state. This is an example of one reason why - carers can get penalised

cdtaylornats Fri 06-Oct-17 21:36:02

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jan/27/kinship-carers-exempt-from-two-child-benefit-limits-after-government-u-turn

Except of course it is wrong. Someone may have made a mistake but not the government.

prh47bridge Fri 06-Oct-17 22:56:44

As cdtaylornats has said, the government has not denied her benefits. Someone in the benefits office who doesn't understand the policy properly has got it wrong. Unfortunately that happens a lot under all governments.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Fri 06-Oct-17 22:57:58

Oh good

Have i got it right for once

cdtaylornats Fri 06-Oct-17 23:22:41

But as is standard on Mumsnet go tearing into the evil Tories without any research

SilverySurfer Sat 07-Oct-17 08:43:52

cdtaylornats
But as is standard on Mumsnet go tearing into the evil Tories without any research

I agree. It's the default response from the predominantly left wingers about anything on here - so boringly predictable.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Sat 07-Oct-17 09:03:48

Because that never ever happens on here the other way round

Nope never

grin

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Sat 07-Oct-17 09:23:17

Oh and not left wing

Not that anyone seems to pay any attention

Nyx Sat 07-Oct-17 12:05:55

cdtaylor, the article you link to at the end says "It is unclear whether kinship carers will be exempted from the benefit cap, which will limit total benefits claimable by unemployed working-age households to £20,000 or £385 a week (£23,000 or £442 in London), plunging many of those affected into food poverty, rent arrears and eviction."

The article the OP linked to (from the same newspaper) says it's because of the benefits cap that she's not allowed tax credits or a maternity loan.

Are you absolutely sure of what you're saying? And the reason people are tearing into the Tories, as you put it, is because of the piece in the guardian - and you are linking to an earlier piece in the guardian, saying that "fgs, people should do their research".

prh47bridge Sat 07-Oct-17 14:02:56

The article the OP linked to says it is because of the two child benefits cap, not the total benefits cap. If the kinship carer in this case is being denied benefits due to the two child cap someone has fouled up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now