Talk

Advanced search

General Medical Council Fails to Sack Convicted paedophile Doctor

(35 Posts)
lollylou2876 Thu 21-Sep-17 18:24:45

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.manchestereveningnews.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fgreater-manchester-news%2Fthomas-jenkins-grindr-medical-tribunal-13653952&h=ATNLt56xIsVptDQ3fFVlLnlOrDtJ6QB6DL11nPWgaAIOH3urQgWtWhiLxhLICIymtAvHcVTQ2qLZ6FfNr9cXvK83GzZWsfnkz8iHAHSqPfmp1fxSCzuhC4we18CyOQHO2bppAY94FIY&enc=AZMJd9uBcd4HRxEITUfxfbpSOefY11UP-oRHSvswmYOjFDDefu5dlQgHKhUdTEmt0yq67A68S2uJdaThhdPkrZIEVa4QQBv0KgYh9Z7d_ythe45BY63cmnpHqdrd784L0e6kp89udwhyxEkBIzLJ8jJiDfu53ZsyHVE-Yn0-fMXcRA9TF0GSqtnqtutHVwjfeYU&s=1

lollylou2876 Thu 21-Sep-17 18:25:44

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/thomas-jenkins-grindr-medical-tribunal-13653952

lollylou2876 Thu 21-Sep-17 18:31:12

This makes a complete mockery of the public funds and resources GMP and the judicial system used to catch this drug taking Paedophile, allowing him unfettered access to children.

But it's okay because it wasn't on works time??

Rochdale Survivors Association - Facebook!

picklemepopcorn Thu 21-Sep-17 18:39:49

What!

picklemepopcorn Thu 21-Sep-17 18:42:25

Has the decision been made? The newspaper says it's ongoing.

lollylou2876 Thu 21-Sep-17 18:54:57

It is ongoing, but he has committed a gross misconduct which in most professions would result in an immediate dismissal.

lollylou2876 Thu 21-Sep-17 19:04:16

Is it appropriate that the GMC is using public funding to investigate this, costing thousands of pounds, rather than using the instant dismissal clause in his employment contract for gross misconduct.

What is to be investigated the facts and conviction speak for themselves.

UhOhSpaghettio Thu 21-Sep-17 19:10:06

He was charged last year. Why is it taking so long for the GMC to come to a decision?

He cannot blame it on the sex party and the drugs because he continued the contact into the second day.

He is in a position of trust in the mental health industry with the countries most vulnerable people. There is no way he should be able to hold his position.

lollylou2876 Thu 21-Sep-17 19:12:42

I have a feeling it has been reported to gauge public reaction, before the GMC reach the final decision, that combined with the timescale is worrying in itself.

welshweasel Thu 21-Sep-17 19:20:25

He'll be struck off without doubt. He does have the right to a fair hearing though, however unpleasant the crime he has committed.

Walkingdead11 Thu 21-Sep-17 19:28:52

He looks a total creep? Should be locked up forever in my opinion and should never be allowed to be within a mile of any patients. But let's watch the judicial system fail yet again!

teainbed Thu 21-Sep-17 19:31:10

He'll be struck off. But they have to go through the process. Btw the GMC is funded by its members who are doctors who pay hundreds of pounds a year to be on the register. Not public funds.

NorthernLurker Thu 21-Sep-17 19:37:03

This is one of the few type of offences that is guaranteed to result in erasure from the register. The GMC still has to follow its process however.

AdelindSchade Thu 21-Sep-17 19:38:57

The GMC are not his employers they are the professional body. It doesn't say if he's been sacked from his job or not but I doubt he's been allowed back to work if he hasn't already been sacked.

teainbed Thu 21-Sep-17 19:40:15

Yes I think you're confusing his employer who are the NHS trust, with the GMC who hold his licence to practice. No doubt he'll be sacked if he hasn't been already.

PacificDogwod Thu 21-Sep-17 19:45:06

The article gives no indication whether or where he is currently working - at the very least I'd expect him to be suspended/on gardening leave.

As others have said the GMC are not his employer.
They have to decide whether he can remained registered as a doctor at all.

CountessOfStrathearn Thu 21-Sep-17 19:47:07

Not often I say this, but you are being really unfair to the GMC and you really don't understand what is actually going on.

Just as "instant dismissal" isn't actually someone saying only "You've fired" with no preamble, there are processes that have to happen. People are entitled to a defence, no matter how awful their crimes are, and the GMC is going through its process.

It is also very usual for proceedings, which for the most part are open to the public including journalists, to be reported for the more serious ones before a decision is being made.

(I cannot imagine at all a situation in which this doctor is not going to be struck off.)

teainbed Thu 21-Sep-17 19:48:14

Also it's not reported to 'gauge public opinion' far from it, the tribunal acts independently.

CountessOfStrathearn Thu 21-Sep-17 19:49:27

Pacific, in my sad experience of a few colleagues having done similar things, there is no way that he won't have been sacked a long time ago.

garibaldi88 Thu 21-Sep-17 19:53:55

They have to go through process and have a hearing before erasing a doctor, but never fear, the doctor is already suspended, using powers to put interim restrictions on a doctor during the investigation.

garibaldi88 Thu 21-Sep-17 19:55:55

From the public register...

stitchglitched Thu 21-Sep-17 19:56:13

Have you actually read the article you've linked? Because your thread title is inaccurate. The article says that the lawyer for the GMC is arguing for erasure as the 'only possible sanction' due to his predatory behaviour.

tehmina23 Thu 21-Sep-17 20:15:31

It's harder for doctors to lose their profession than it is for nurses, anecdotal fact.

Hopefully this doctor will lose everything. I know I'm being nasty but I hate paedophiles with a vengeance sorry.

NorthernLurker Thu 21-Sep-17 20:16:58

Well it's not exactly like the rest of us are fans of them termina hmm

peteneras Thu 21-Sep-17 20:29:09

He's officially suspended!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now