Talk

Advanced search

What do the Hamburg rioters want?

(5 Posts)
ReleaseTheBats Fri 07-Jul-17 11:19:29

Please can someone explain to me what the protestors currently smashing up Hamburg want and/or what they are hoping to achieve? I have seen them described as anti-capitalist but do not understand what their aims are.

Dapplegrey2 Fri 07-Jul-17 13:32:25

I've been wondering the same thing release.

ReleaseTheBats Fri 07-Jul-17 14:46:36

The Express says

www.express.co.uk/news/world/825875/G20-protests-what-are-protesters-protesting-Hamburg-G20-summit

Protests against the G-20 Summit take place every year as anti-capitalists and anarchists take the chance to protest and vent their fury.

‘Welcome to Hell’ organiser Andreas Blechschmidt said the motto is "a combative message ... but it's also meant to symbolise that G20 policies worldwide are responsible for hellish conditions like hunger, war and the climate disaster".

Blechschmidt told AFP that activists would seek to blockade access to the summit venue and, as usual, "reserve for themselves the option of militant resistance" against police.

The G20 Welcome to Hell website gives details about protests and describes itself as an “autonomous and anticapitalist alliance against the G20 Summit in Hamburg”.

The website said the demonstration on the eve of the G20 summit’s eve would “express protest and resistance, radical critique and practice against the patriarchal and capitalist state of affairs”.

It said: “We are mobilizing internationally to turn Hamburg into a location and an exclamation mark of resistance against old and new authorities of capitalism.”

Another website, named Hamburg City Strike, said that today’s day of action aims to turn the city “into a place of social conflict and show that capitalism is vulnerable”.

So that's all clear then. Colour me a little bit skeptical but they don't look to me like people bothered about world hunger and climate change.

Are they pro-globalism or anti-globalism??

ReleaseTheBats Fri 07-Jul-17 15:06:52

Google says anti-globalism, but also very left-wing and mainly anti-nationalist and including organisations like Antifa (who I always thought were very open-borders types) confused

squishysquirmy Mon 10-Jul-17 08:41:26

Probably made up of groups that want all sorts of different things, mixed up with some who don't know what they want, and some who just want to smash some windows and start fires.
There were much larger, more peaceful protests earlier in the day (again, made up by people with a mixture of causes) but unfortunately twats always turn out when they think there is a good chance of a riot.
I've always wondered what your typical "anarchist" would do if confronted with the realities of actual anarchy. Soil themselves most likely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now