Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ISIS suicide bombers attack Iran

(12 Posts)
LouiseBrooks Wed 07-Jun-17 13:34:23

www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/07/shootings-iranian-parliament-khomeini-shrine

12 people dead and dozens injured.

ayla1 Wed 07-Jun-17 15:45:20

Strange there hasn't been any replies to this..
My heart goes out to the Iranian people, Iran is generally extremely secure and so its a massive surprise that such an attack was coordinated and undertaken successfully.

AnarchyKitty Wed 07-Jun-17 15:50:53

Awful. It seems nowhere is safe.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Wed 07-Jun-17 15:57:02

Yes this is very surprising and terrifying. Gunmen shooting at will inside Parliament sad . Wondering how ISIS got away with planning a very organised attack, and if the murderers are Iranian?

What strange times we live in when Saudi Arabia and Iran migt end up being reluctant bedfellows.

SerfTerf Wed 07-Jun-17 15:59:09

Strategic. I wonder whether Iran will react strongly.

ayla1 Wed 07-Jun-17 16:04:58

This has Saudi Arabia's mark all over it.. Just a few days ago one of Saudi's crown princes stated that they will take the fight within Iran.. And now Iran's parliament and the mausoleum of Khomeini - the 'father' of the Islamic revolution was attacked. I may be cynical but if it was a typical solely ISIS attack it would be carried out in high density areas rather than in politically significant and symbolic places

ayla1 Wed 07-Jun-17 16:08:10

Ohtoblazes murderers were speaking only Arabic in the attack so definitely not Iranians

Ch4Chococlate Wed 07-Jun-17 16:56:50

Allegedly Saudi Arabia, though who knows?

This worries me enormously. Worried there will be active international conflict across the ME.

beepbeepimasheep Wed 07-Jun-17 17:16:03

Shit...that's got potential to get very nasty.

LouiseBrooks Wed 07-Jun-17 17:17:29

ayla1

That was my first thought too, about Saudi Arabia. The article says that the Gulf states are pushing for isolation of Iran; it seems an interesting coincidence. Iran of course is Shia, and IS targets Shia Muslims in Iraq do a move across the border shouldn't be a surprise.

OCSockOrphanage Thu 08-Jun-17 08:52:03

This does not bode well. Direct conflict between Sunni and Shia, on top of all the proxy wars.

Has anyone seen or read any comment that has impressed with its insights?

MeadowHay Fri 09-Jun-17 19:27:46

There is evidence that SA are funding ISIS and a range of other extremist terror groups that are committing atrocities in the ME and elsewhere, including in Europe. This is definitely funded and organised partly by SA. Tensions are rising a little in the region now that SA and the other Gulf states have sorta excommunicated Qatar for being too pally with Iran.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now