Talk

Advanced search

Could there be an "anti Brexit" alliance in the general election?

(20 Posts)
herecomesthsun Thu 20-Apr-17 12:05:06

Just wondering. And could we jettison article 50 if they won?

uberalice Thu 20-Apr-17 12:08:00

I think the numbers wouldn't stack up because Labour aren't on board. Even if they were, Corbyn has ruled out an alliance with the SNP and the Lib Dems probably won't get enough seats to make a significant difference. It's depressing, really.

herecomesthsun Thu 20-Apr-17 12:11:52

It would be so good if we could target this issue - there are grounds of misrepresentation for example.

Anon1234567890 Thu 20-Apr-17 13:17:41

An alliance with who? Labour support Brexit. Even the Lib Dems are only campaigning for soft Brexit. So its only the SNP and ?

TM has almost half the support of the country it will be a landslide.

cdtaylornats Thu 20-Apr-17 13:53:55

Look on the bright side it might save the Labour Party. If they lose badly Corbyn will either be out or on his own as the others desert to found a centre left party.

RortyCrankle Thu 20-Apr-17 15:04:50

No.

herecomesthsun Thu 20-Apr-17 18:45:45

HAH!

" European parliament president Antonio Tajani says EU departure process could easily be reversed if there is change of UK government"

Great! We could ditch the Tories and lose Brexit in one fell swoop!!

prh47bridge Thu 20-Apr-17 20:35:41

He seems to be unaware of the fact that the treaty does not have any provision for reversing article 50. And if we did want to remain the EU would probably insist that we adopt the Euro and become part of Schengen as conditions for doing so. Many people would find that unacceptable.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Thu 20-Apr-17 20:38:16

The problem is that there isn't any party that will reverse Brexit.

herecomesthsun Thu 20-Apr-17 20:49:31

There could be though. There could be an alliance of sympathetic MPs. After all, many, probably most Labour and Conservative MPs supported Remain last June.

If Brexit was folly then, it is not looking any better to me now.

There could be another referendum on the grounds that the last one was fatally flawed by misinformation (and downright lies).

If the will and the desire was there on our side and with the other countries in Europe for our continued membership, then surely terms could be negotiated re Schengen and the Euro, around the sticking points.

ragged Thu 20-Apr-17 21:01:28

(boohoo). FFS.
We all know if the Referendum were held tomorrow that it might be a Remain result. The result was tight & loads of people say they regretted their vote (on both sides, fair enough). Argh.

herecomesthsun Thu 20-Apr-17 21:37:08

Boohoo?

So it would be possible for example to start another petition for another referendum.

We are in a bizarre situation, and one that many people do not want. I will find it even harder than usual to cast a vote, as things stand, that reflects my point of view and I suspect there will be many people for whom that will hold true.

I am thinking that there is a power in ideas and a power in social media, reflecting the popular voice, that might just carry some weight.

At the very least, it would be worth a go.

ragged Thu 20-Apr-17 21:51:50

I'm just frustrated that we're being dragged into Brexit when I'm far from convinced that it's what the majority of British adults want.

herecomesthsun Thu 20-Apr-17 21:58:07

What about an anti Brexit demo?

supported on line somehow by those who could not make it in person?

rogueantimatter Sun 23-Apr-17 14:32:36

I turned on the radio half way through an interview Tony Blair was doing in which he seemed to be saying that voters should vote for whichever candidate is anti- brexit in order to try to get a referendum on the deal we negotiate with Europe.

rogueantimatter Sun 23-Apr-17 14:50:58

Google Compass and progressive alliance. They plan to try to get agreements from several parties to give a free run to the second most popular party/candidate in marginal seats currently held by conservative candidates.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 26-Apr-17 06:51:22

Yes indeed, we should aim to subject the country to control by an foreign government.

ForalltheSaints Wed 26-Apr-17 19:32:44

There ought to be an anti-Tory alliance, perhaps an agreement to stand down in 20 or 30 seats. There will not be though.

If the left in France had done this Marine Le Pen would have come third in the French presidential election.

alteredimages Sat 29-Apr-17 12:32:55

Not going to happen unfortunately. SNP are about to have their arses handed to them on a plate in Scotland, where Tories will gain a lot of new MPs. Brexit has become secondary to independence in the minds of most voters.

Labour are in big trouble in Wales too. These Conservative gains will wipe out any signle digit losses in England.

alteredimages Sat 29-Apr-17 12:33:58

Talk of the Tory majority being held up by the Scottish vote makes me feel like I am living in a parallel universe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now