Do you vote?

(7 Posts)
annandale Tue 18-Apr-17 20:57:10

I won't deny, I'm a hardcore voter and I have never understood why people don't vote. I have spoiled a ballot paper before and really enjoyed doing it - to me, that counts.

What would make you consider voting if you don't usually, or don't want to this time? If you don't usually, why?

RortyCrankle Wed 19-Apr-17 09:13:30

I agree and have voted in every single election over the past fifty years. It would never occur to me to not vote and if people choose not to, then they have no business complaining about the outcome.

hiveofactivity Wed 19-Apr-17 10:12:36

Always. And tactically for the overall good (which sometimes involves swallowing dislike of a particular MP). There's little point in a protest vote against an individual if it helps secure a government you hate even more.

I think there should be a required minimum turnout for an election before the result can be declared valid.
And an option to vote 'None of the Above' (rather than spoil your ballot paper). If NOTA receives more than 20% of the vote then the parties should propose changes to their manifesto and re-run the election until they can secure a reasonable majority.

redshoeblueshoe Wed 19-Apr-17 11:37:01

hive I really like that idea. I have always lived in safe seats so I have always felt my vote never counted. I have always voted, but I maybe away this time round and I wouldn't bother to get a postal vote.

Madbengalmum Wed 19-Apr-17 11:37:41

Always

slug Wed 19-Apr-17 12:15:12

Always.

Women died so I could vote. I honour them every time I put a cross in the box.

Bringmesunshite Wed 19-Apr-17 12:22:18

Always. What slug said.

I have also spoiled my paper. As I once said to a lifelong "not voter" - imagine if we all put "You are a shower of bastards" on our ballot instead of voting- they'd have to notice that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now