Talk

Advanced search

Can someone explain what's happened with North Korea?

(28 Posts)
dailystuck71 Sat 15-Apr-17 13:55:39

I know, I should probably be more aware but have been unwell this week.

What's happened to bring all of this into the news this week?

I know Trump has bombed Syria so this caused tensions with Russia and I know he then bombed - a massive one by all accounts - an ISIS stronghold/tunnel system but I don't know why NR is suddenly involved. Can anyone explain? Thanks.

Foreverhopeful22 Sat 15-Apr-17 18:52:01

Me too

MrsFinkelstein Sat 15-Apr-17 18:56:58

From what I can tell, it's mainly just that Trump and Kim Jong thingies are both narcissistic mentalists with no impulse control, surrounded by Yes men who have decided to have a willy waving contest over who's is biggest.

WipsGlitter Sat 15-Apr-17 18:58:28

What mrsfinklestein said.

Youdontwanttodothat Sat 15-Apr-17 19:02:15

What's not to understand. The Kim dynasty in NK has been making noises for yonks. They are more or less propped up by China.
Recently they have been demonstrating nuclear weapons capability but not intercontinental ballistic missiles that could reach US.
This has nothing to do with Syria. It is shit that has been going on since the end of the Korean War but now with nukes.
Usually there's been a grown up in the White House who can't be baited and China keeps the insanity of the Kim regime in check.

cdtaylornats Sat 15-Apr-17 22:02:37

The bomb in Syria is pointing out to North Korea ans more importantly China that a very large explosion in (say) North Korea atomic weapon plant isn't nuclear.

The cruise missile attack is to show North Korea what will happen to its radar sites just prior to the big bomb arriving.

Iris65 Sat 15-Apr-17 22:14:17

This week NK have a day of celebration for the Kim Jong dynasty. This involves a massive military display including lots of boasts about their nuclear capability. They have also been carrying out nuclear test recently and are planning more very soon.
Their nuclear capability is against the Global Non Proliferation treaty and they are acting illegaly in a global sense.
The US and other countries believe that NK should not have nukes or intercontinental missiles and have been expecting China (NK's only ally) to put pressure on them to reduce tensions. The Chinese have not been successful so Trump is threatening to act unilaterally against NK, This increases the tension as NK are very aggressive and very proud, Trump and Kim Jong are both unstable and unpredictable so outright military conflict is a strong possibility. This will destabilise the Asian countries and could draw Russia and other countries into the conflict, Tnis could escalate into WWIII. It doesn't mean nuclear necessarily but will be very bad news for large swathes of the globe.

PatsyMount Sat 15-Apr-17 22:28:10

Is it just me who is concerned that there seems to now be a media blackout. Nothing on The BBC or guardian website, and if there is it is at least 10 hours old... 🤔

prh47bridge Sun 16-Apr-17 13:04:21

I don't see any evidence of a media blackout.

North Korea has nuclear weapons in breach of international treaties. When Kim Jong-in became leader he announced that they would stop nuclear tests, uranium enrichment and launches of long range missiles. However, just a few months later they recommenced launches of long range missiles and subsequently restarted nuclear weapons tests, specifically stating that this was targeted at the US. North Korea is developing a missile capability that will allow them to threaten Japan, South Korea and, potentially, the west coast of the US. It is believed they can already target Hawaii and are very close to being able to target the US mainland.

China is North Korea's only real ally. Recently China has been unable to hold North Korea in check and is becoming increasingly frustrated with the current regime.

It is unlikely that US intervention will destabilise other Asian countries although it could lead to (or follow) an attack on South Korea and/or Japan. It is highly unlikely Russia would get drawn in. They no longer support North Korea economically or militarily and their relationship is distant at best. The big question is China's reaction. They currently seem to be preparing for a mass exodus of refugees from North Korea. It is thought that China would not provide any additional support to North Korea if war broke out with the US. And I suspect that, as with Syria, rather than launch a war the US will simply take out some North Korean military assets unless the regime launches an attack on the US or one of its allies.

prh47bridge Sun 16-Apr-17 13:05:45

That should be Kim Jong-un - sorry. Bloomin' autocorrect...

sn1ce Sun 16-Apr-17 13:08:46

NK attempted a missile test that failed-there are suggestions in the media that its systems may have been hacked by US

Kittyguilt Sun 16-Apr-17 13:10:45

And the situation with the concentration camps in NK is supposedly worse than the Holocaust camps. So god only knows what we'll find if we do go to war with them. They're brainwashed from birth to worship their leader.

BuckinghamLass Mon 17-Apr-17 01:36:42

This situation seems to be escalating, I hope it'll all come to nothing - two fucking ridiculous, unhinged men waving their penises at each other.

The worry is that NK will deploy nuclear weapons in a scorched-earth type move - we know we're fucked, but we'll take everyone else down with us.

The gulags in that country are beyond horrifying, I hope something is done, but not out and out war. sad

ScouseBird8364 Mon 17-Apr-17 23:24:13

I've come searching for a thread such as this, after logging back into my Facebook account tonight and having the shits put up me by people basically telling us we're all about to die in a nuclear war confusedenvysad So, I'm not thick, but haven't a clue when it comes to Politics, so is there anyone who can spell it out, in layman's terms, wth is going on? hmm Could Britain be wiped out? sadenvy

scaryteacher Mon 17-Apr-17 23:58:39

China needs to exert economic pressure on N Korea to stop the nuclear programme. China has the ability to make life very difficult for the regime, if it chooses to do so.

cdtay The US launched Tomahawks into Syria after the chemical weapons attack, The MOAB was dropped in Afghanistan in agreement with the Afghan government, It was not dropped in Syria.

prh47bridge Tue 18-Apr-17 00:25:42

ScouseBird8364 - North Korea has nuclear weapons in breach of international treaties. It has reneged on earlier promises and is continuing to develop nuclear bombs and long range missiles. It almost certainly now has the capability to launch nuclear strikes against South Korea and Japan, and may be able to reach as far as Hawaii. It is thought they will soon be able to hit the US mainland. Their leader has been specific that his nuclear weapons tests are aimed at the US.

It is possible the US will launch a strike on North Korea that will take out some of their military assets if they conduct another nuclear test, although the US administration has denied earlier reports that they were planning a strike. It is unlikely the US will go to war with North Korea unless North Korea launches an attack on the US or one of its allies. North Korea has few friends and its biggest ally, China, seems disinclined to support them if the US takes action. So, although there is a remote possibility that there could be a nuclear war between North Korea and the US, it is unlikely to be much more widespread than that. It is very unlikely to become a global conflict. It is very unlikely Britain will be wiped out.

BuckinghamLass Tue 18-Apr-17 01:04:37

Thanks for that level-headed explanation prh. I came back to this thread after reading the Guardian's main headline: North Korea warns 'thermonuclear war may break out at any moment'

I am fucking sick of the Guardian lately, it's just as hysterical as the DM.

Postagestamppat Tue 18-Apr-17 03:43:31

A remote chance of nuclear war is still frightening. Even if the nuclear bombs will be far enough away from the uk. We are not talking about an oversized petrol bomb. The unpredictable nature of trump is terrifying. I find it mind-boggling that we have reached a situation where two deranged men are threatening to release weapons that have the potential to cause catastrophic human and environmental devastation.

hackmum Tue 18-Apr-17 09:03:32

I don't understand why North Korea wants to go to war with the US or anyone else. What's in it for them?

Rosa Tue 18-Apr-17 09:10:15

Beacuse NK doesn't like to be told what to do - what weapons they can have and how the have to behave.
Trump unfortunately is the same.
For me its China that has to start to put pressure on.
Who is trading with NK - supplying them with materials etc apart from China ? I though they were not doing to well as far as being a self sufficient country.

prh47bridge Tue 18-Apr-17 11:02:47

Who is trading with NK - supplying them with materials etc apart from China ? I though they were not doing to well as far as being a self sufficient country.

You are right. They are very dependent on China. China is North Korea's main source of arms, food and energy. They are frustrated with the current regime but they are also wary of regime change. They are concerned that this might lead to US dominance of North Korea which they would regard as bad news. However, most analysts think China would not step in to support North Korea if they were stupid enough to start an armed conflict with the US. Apart from anything else, the Chinese leadership appears to be well aware that they are not anywhere near being on a par with the US militarily.

A remote chance of nuclear war is still frightening

Just to be clear, if North Korea attempts to launch a nuclear attack on the US it is unlikely to succeed. They are several years away from the kind of technology that would allow them to get warheads past America's defence systems. And, although Trump has signalled that he would be willing to use nuclear weapons against North Korea, the reality is that dropping a bomb would have major consequences for South Korea, a US ally, and there would be other long term implications. I would expect the US to use cruise missiles armed with conventional warheads followed up by an air campaign if North Korea attempted an attack on the US or its allies.

DavidbowieMime Wed 19-Apr-17 10:32:37

Every single Year NK do this sabre rattling stuff the difference is - they are getting closer and closer to nuclear weapons and now trump is in charge.

PossumInAPearTree Thu 20-Apr-17 21:40:36

Does anyone who knows about the likelihood of this escalating think it would be a good idea or not for 16yo Dd to go to Beijing on her own in august? She's meant to be going and I'm a bit worried!

prh47bridge Thu 20-Apr-17 22:45:54

Beijing is hundreds of miles from North Korea. A lot can change between now and August but as things stand I wouldn't worry. Even if it escalates it is very unlikely North Korea would attack China and also unlikely China would get dragged into a war with the US.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 21-Apr-17 06:10:37

Thanks, will keep an eye on foreign office advice nearer the time I guess. She's really looking forward to it so I don't want to stop her unless I have to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now