Talk

Advanced search

Jon Platt loses term time holiday battle

(5 Posts)
LornaD40 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:46:30

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39504338

Case will go back to the magistrates. Wonder what they'll order him to pay?

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 06-Apr-17 20:35:17

A lot more than £60

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Thu 06-Apr-17 22:23:15

12k is what, two trips for a family of five to Disneyland.
That's got to hurt.

I'm a parent and I'm glad he lost. Anyone who argues Disneyland is developmental and that their children will learn more there than two weeks in school is a raging twat. Schools have enough shit to deal,with without this kind of thing and it makes me very cross.

The fines are cynical. If parents had a bit more respect for what schools are trying to do then they wouldn't be making money from this policy by and large though, would they. Yes I know exceptions, exception blah blah......

Let's lobby the holiday industry and the government to do something about this disgraceful sharp practice, not undermine the critical jobs of schools for the sake of a cheaper holiday.

Minstrelsareyum Thu 06-Apr-17 22:33:40

I think that holidays should probably not be encouraged during term time but I do admire this guy for challenging it. What really annoys me is that parents in Wales ARE allowed to apply to take leave (according to BBC reports tonight). I don't understand how this legislation doesn't affect the whole of the union of the United Kingdom. Why is it any different for Welsh children? Is this 'UK' law? If so, then it should apply to all pupils throughout the UK. Also children, whether educated by the state, privately or at home should be made to abide by the same legislation. To be in school (or a home environment if that's the way you are doing it) for x number of days per year. The disparities simply do not make sense and are unfair.

prh47bridge Fri 07-Apr-17 13:18:42

There is a lot of legislation that does not affect the whole UK. Education is a devolved matter so Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can have different policies if they want. Whether that is a good idea given the evidence showing that absence affects attainment is another matter.

I'm not sure how you think you would enforce such a ruling on home education. And, whilst the legislation does not apply to independent schools, absenteeism is less of a problem in independent schools. Parents who persistently take holidays in term time are likely to find that the school throws their children out in many independent schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now