We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Syrian chemical attack

(14 Posts)
WelshMoth Tue 04-Apr-17 22:11:30

Christ sake - the reports and footage of the children struggling to breathe has filled me with rage and hurt. It's not fucking enough that our 'Leaders'
condemn these attacks. They need to do more and I don't know what. I've never felt so impotent in my life. sad

LapCatLicker Tue 04-Apr-17 22:15:24

You're not alone. I wish there was something I could do. Those poor families. sad

GraceGrape Tue 04-Apr-17 22:35:40

Awful attack. Those images of the little kids were just horrific. I agree with you about the feeling of impotence though. I just don't understand what the next step could possibly be, and I don't hold out much hope of Trump coming up with any sensible ideas.

Shallishanti Tue 04-Apr-17 22:39:10

it's on newsnight now, it's just awful
I do wonder how much we need to see these pictures though

dearmeee Tue 04-Apr-17 22:39:23

This is so sad. Something needs to be done.

Fairylea Tue 04-Apr-17 22:44:11

This has affected me so badly. I wanted to do something so I have donated to some charities but I feel woefully inadequate. No one should have to suffer like that. The governments of the world need to do more.

Shallishanti Tue 04-Apr-17 22:57:54

this is The David Nott Foundation he is the british doctor who was on newsnight analysing the film of victims and explaining how the nerve gas affects people- his foundation trains surgeons to work in conflict zones, including Syria. You could send him some money and know it would help the right people.

NameUsed Tue 04-Apr-17 23:00:32

I have watched the news and cried out of sheer frustration and anger. Do the animals that do this, not have children or any humanity? How can you unleash such suffering on someone else's child whilst your child sleeps safe? I have just watched children dying on tv. I can't believe how helplessly I watched on.

TheEndIs Tue 04-Apr-17 23:07:53

Very sad indeed. Such a shame it doesn't get publicised enough and people are not doing much to help these poor people.

cowgirlsareforever Wed 05-Apr-17 22:44:18

Tragic. This needs to be stopped but how and by whom, I do not know. Ironically the only person Putin may listen to is Trump but whether he wants to engage in International issues remains to be seen.

hubris Thu 06-Apr-17 11:33:53

Something does not add up about this to me. I think it is a 'false flag' situation. Why, when Assad with Russian help was getting back control of his country would he suddenly use chemical weapons which he knows will bring huge opprobrium upon him from around the world?

www.nytimes.com/2013/12/29/world/middleeast/new-study-refines-view-of-sarin-attack-in-syria.html

Read this article, which discusses a study from an American University, MIT, which analyses the range and capability of the rockets fired in the 2013 Syria gas attacks and casts doubt on the claim at the time that the rockets must have been fired by the Syrian Government. The NY Times article states that both the Syrian army and rebel forces have access to chemical weapons.

The revolutionary forces rallied against Assad are fundamentalist islamist jihadis, not moderates. They will not turn Syria into some democratic paradise if we help them to power. If you read a little further afield than the Guardian, there are claims that some of the people who died in the latest gas attack were kidnapped from pro-government areas by militant forces. Do you think the anti-government forces in Syria are all angelic and it is beyond possible that they might use chemical weapons themselves to engineer an outrage which they hope will finally bring in Western forces to depose Assad?

We should be very careful when jumping to conclusions about what happens in the Middle East. Remember what happened when Saddam Hussein was deposed in Iraq. We did not see a blossoming of democracy. US intelligence predicted a risk of nasty fundamentalist groups seizing the opportunity to gain power. And so it happened with the rise of Islamic State. Deposing Assad does nothing but favour Islamic State and any number of ruthless groups always waiting in the wings to grab power in a power vacuum. Do you want our goverment to help Islamic State by deposing Assad? Because that is what will happen.

We have to see the bigger picture here and check that we are not being manipulated to deadly effect here. I do not want British troops dying in the Middle East yet again basically because of Sunni/Shia sectarian warfare.

The governments should not necessarily 'do more' if by that you mean troops and money for anti-Assad Islamists. If bigger countries weren't funding both sides of the Syrian conflict it would have died out years ago, as civil wars always do when internal resources are exhausted. This is a basic fact of conflict. Intervention by richer nations has fuelled this civil war.

Read or listen to what Sir. Peter Ford our ex embassador to Syria has been saying about this conflict:

Most importantly, he says we are actively pursuing regime change against the secular goverment of a country that has never done us any harm. A country that in fact shares a common foe in ISIS and has been trying to fight that foe. A country that protects Christians, does not behead people as punishment and a country in which women have considerably more rights than in neighbouring Middle Eastern countries.

He said that Assad is the lesser of two evils. The militant groups opposing him are not moderate and would impose Sharia law if they came to power. They are jihadis! He said this is why the Government has refused to release the names of some of the militant groups we the taxpayer are funding.

He suggested if we want to 'do something' that we step up diplomatic efforts. Yet we do not engage at all with the goverment side. Why not? We will talk to Mugabe in Zimbabwe yet not Assad in Syria. It does not add up but makes sense if we are only interested in kow towing to the United States - which (until Trump at least) wanted regime change.

He said in December that western media reporting is misleading. We are simply not shown suffering on the pro government side.

He said all foreign countries should back off and stop interfering instead of fuelling with money a civil war which would otherwise die out.

He said we are acting against our own interests in supporting jihadis over Assad.

And again, my thoughts, I will not swallow without question the claim that Assad's side fired the chemical weapons at such a time. I'm not saying he didn't do it, but I am saying he's not the only one capable and it would be a very peculiar self-damaging strategy for Assad at this particular time. But does seem to be working very well for the rebels as a strategy for getting us to start talking about removing him again.

Crunchyside Thu 06-Apr-17 15:40:46

I watched a video someone shared on FB and I really, really wish I hadn't watched it now sad I'm pregnant and have a toddler and it just made me cry my eyes out, those floppy lifeless bodies of little children being loaded into the back of a van. Horrific. What the fuck is wrong with this world. I really really don't understand. It's so fucking depressing.

WelshMoth Fri 07-Apr-17 06:39:31

I didn't anticipate Trump ordering a missile launch on the airbase that was responsible for the chemical attack. Something like 64 missiles fired from US ships in the Med.

What hubris wrote really worries me too.

What a mess.

makeourfuture Fri 07-Apr-17 09:32:50

I didn't anticipate Trump ordering a missile launch on the airbase that was responsible for the chemical attack. Something like 64 missiles fired from US ships in the Med.

It is a sticky situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now