Talk

Advanced search

Article 50 has been triggered.

(18 Posts)
25bottles Tue 28-Mar-17 22:08:49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

LineysRun Tue 28-Mar-17 22:10:06

In which case I'm glad I'm half Scots tbh.

This is nuts.

Dontactlikeyouknowme Tue 28-Mar-17 22:10:56

Fuck

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 28-Mar-17 22:11:41

Hardly a suprise is it.

25bottles Tue 28-Mar-17 22:14:44

I know I just thought it would take longer.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:16:35

It's been signed. But not delivered yet?

NC4FB Tue 28-Mar-17 22:22:50

Technically it's been signed but will be delivered tomorrow. Jumping the gun a bit op.

kormachameleon Tue 28-Mar-17 22:24:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RortyCrankle Wed 29-Mar-17 09:31:51

Fantastic, let the champagne flow grin

PoundlandUK Wed 29-Mar-17 09:37:25

www.indy100.com/article/how-old-people-have-screwed-over-the-younger-generationin-three-charts--W1AA_n4nEb

Never have I been so ashamed to be half English sad
Never have I been so proud to be half Scottish smile

dearmeee Wed 29-Mar-17 13:29:04

Yipeeeewinewinecakecake

cowgirlsareforever Wed 29-Mar-17 13:40:48

I'm actually angry with the EU. It allowed itself to become something quite different to what people originally voted for. They were warned countless times that it was becoming too expensive, too undemocratic, too bureaucratic but they didn't listen. Now we have this unholy mess.

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 29-Mar-17 18:00:33

I'm angry with the EU because it has finally listened because of us leaving. And everyone else will benefit without us sad

Nyx Wed 29-Mar-17 23:25:12

Long but interesting:
https://www.opendemocracy.net/anthony-barnett/brexit-is-old-people-s-home

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Thu 30-Mar-17 08:04:10

I used to support the idea of Europe.

But what has developed is not good. Indeed it is almost the worst of all solutions. As PP's say, it is not what it was presented as. But l don't think that it can reform. It has become a parasite on the countries it is supposed to serve.

Tania3 Sat 01-Apr-17 19:52:01

It's like a very slow death that will have huge consequences ( social and financial). Financially the United Kingdom will not be better off at all! that is just ridiculous. It will stop getting funds for agriculture, health and so on from Europe plus it will have to pay much more for existing and essential trading agreements. Socially it will allow racists and xenophobists to feel justified and create a 2nd class citizen mentality. Not even going to mention other things such as recruitment. In my opinion, people that voted out focused only on immigration but forgot everything else. Don't kid yourselves not a good move for anyone involved.

LEELULUMPKIN Sun 02-Apr-17 12:06:52

About time.

Dadaist Sun 02-Apr-17 22:07:12

Warning - enormous rant follows....
Most people's only idea of what 'Europe' is comes from the right wing media. So here is a NewsFlash-
1) it's not undemocratic - it's fully democratic. It has an elected parliament.
2) the 'unelected bureaucrats' are far more prevalent in the British system- except the we call them civil servants! And yes theses unelected officials who no one voted for make decisions- you know - like the chief medical officer or the chief inspector of schools. Why would you want to vote for a politician to make medical decisions!!
3) the reason decisions don't get voted on is because OUR government believes that, because it was elected by the British people, that it can take decions in Europe without asking parliament - and pretend that it comes from on high.
4) i don't know where to begin with addressing the insanity of 'taking back control' of decisions when no one can articulate exactly what decisions they want to see taken by Britain alone.
5) apart from immigration!!!. In fact opposing open borders (which is just ignorant racism) - oh yes it is! If you think immigration is a problem then you aren't seeing the full picture
6) what's the full picture? Well we have an ageing population that is very many more older people who are living longer and longer. And this is something to celebrate. But there are use costs to in pensions, benefits and NHS and social care. We have fewer 18 year olds than at any time in the past fifty years. So we need a higher proportion of young workers to support the older population than we have.
7) a policy of making more babies would have dubious effect and take twenty years to produce a workforce- so in the mean time we have immigration.
8) clean beaches, safe electrical products and countless, countless rules protecting us can't be drawn up differently in 27 different countries- because you can't respond to so many different rules when making products or protecting the environment. So the mature thing to do is set rules to govern a region. It's just grown up.
9) people who support Brexit think they are opposing big powerful international institutions in Europe - but they are handing power to even bigger global financial corporations who could only be stopped by Europe from ever more exploitative practices which can soon be unleashed on the U.K.
10) the vast majority of people cheering for Brexit ARE being unreasonable. I know some very intelligent people with very right wing views who are entirely rational in their opposition to EU membership. But most people voting Brexit that I know would be horrified to support their agenda - and vote out of vague feelings about things and not reason at all!
11) BREXIT is about to be the longest s l o w h a n d c l a p in British history and is farce, tragedy and pathos all wrapped up in one enormous unfolding historical cul-de-sac - because you can't walk backwards into history.
12) add your own

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now