Talk

Advanced search

White men are becoming an "endangered species" in U.K. Boardrooms

(6 Posts)
HLBug Sat 11-Mar-17 23:00:43

White men are becoming an "endangered species" in top business jobs as companies take on more women and ethnic minorities, Tesco's chairman has said.

John Allan told a retail conference "the pendulum has swung very significantly" - even though white men still dominate in UK boardrooms.

He said it was an "extremely propitious period" to be "female and from an ethnic background and preferably both".

Mr Allan later said his comments were intended to be "humorous".

Ehhhh.....WTAF?! Speechless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39241630

AdoraBell Sat 11-Mar-17 23:06:23

I saw this and couldn't help thinking - awe diddums. Humourous my arse.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sat 11-Mar-17 23:08:12

Amazing and baffling.

WorkingBling Sat 11-Mar-17 23:20:08

I am usually the first one to jump on patronising obnoxious white men. But I would love to know more about the context. He was speaking at a woman's event. I doubt he was whining. I suspect he was trying to show solidarity and make point that white men need to stop taking privilege for granted.

I know few people will agree with me. And usually I would be one of the people calling for his head. But something about this story just doesn't sound right to me. I would like to see a full transcript of his speech. Or better yet, a video.

Fraggleface Sat 11-Mar-17 23:38:33

He was encouraging a room full of mostly non males etc that they can now reach the top in business. Don't know why the media have jumped on it.

Obsidian77 Sat 11-Mar-17 23:41:36

The image of a pendulum concerns me, with the implied inevitability that it will swing back again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now