Budget - Increase in NI for Self Employed

(16 Posts)
FarAwayHills Thu 09-Mar-17 15:25:35

So NI for self employed is being increased in line with employed people. I'm no fan of this government but this seems pretty fair to me and I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. We all use the same services so why should one group of workers pay more into the system than others?

KoolKoala07 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:27:23

Self employed people don't get sick pay, holiday pay, pensions, maternity pay and if business goes tits up no redundancy pay either. Why should self employed pay almost the same as employed when they don't receive the same perks.

cauliwobbles Thu 09-Mar-17 15:41:34

Self employed people or the ones I know write every tiny thing they can off against tax, some of them pay next to no tax, they also get lots of cash in hand and don't declare it either. Some give higher quotes for jobs knowing that they'll be offered cash for a drop in price.

I'm less than sympathetic I'm afraid.

RakingUpBadMemories Thu 09-Mar-17 15:43:39

Oh piss off, Cauli, I don't do any of those things, and I receive none of the perks of sick pay, pension contributions etc, as Kool says.

KoolKoala07 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:51:14

Cauli don't tar every self employed worker with the same brush. They may be the ones 'you know'. I could say the employed workers I know phone in sick when they aren't and receive full sick pay does that mean you do the same.

FarAwayHills Thu 09-Mar-17 16:05:11

I am not out to bash the self employed but it is true that the self employed do have more scope to play the system when it comes to earnings and income tax so it probably all evens out in the end.

specialsubject Thu 09-Mar-17 22:25:50

Ms generic Mn hates everyone that isn't them or might have more money. Playground logic, ignore.

EnormousTiger Fri 10-Mar-17 20:35:59

Can I have 6 weeks x 90% pay for each of the 5 babies now and 20 years of sick pay and holiday pay please (I never got a penny)? Then can the Govenrment take over my admin and VAT and accounts record keeping and do my invoices for me. Then perhaps they could pay me if I have a month without much work on when not much money comes in. After that they can pay into an employer pension for me too. If they can do that little lot then I might think it's fair.

By the way I pay loads and loads of tax and there are not many expenses I can set against what I earn other than essential stuff like paying for stamps (paid £750 the other week for those), people who perform services for me, insurance cover for work etc. These are not scams or cheating expenses, they are genuine.

It's a bit annoying when employees thinkg the self employed pay no tax and commit criminal offences of tax evasion when most of us don't.

lljkk Fri 10-Mar-17 20:46:00

"Self employed people don't get sick pay, holiday pay, pensions, maternity pay and if business goes tits up no redundancy pay either. "

Don't most of those come from the employer... not the state? Maternity pay is the only one that comes from the state. I couldn't believe how low my NI contribs were when I was self-employed (yes I was a very low earner). Would be fair to pay a lot more. DH is a medium earner & satisfied to pay much more.

The more he pays will fund very stretched govt services. That is a good thing.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Sat 11-Mar-17 14:16:48

Surely self employed people factor in things like sick pay, holiday pay and pensions when deciding their prices?

EnormousTiger Sat 11-Mar-17 16:52:23

You certainly used as an employer o be able to claim statutory sick pay from the state but that may have changed.

Many self empoloyed earn much less than the minimum wage. They are cleaning your house. They are deliveroo drivers. They are carers. They are taxi drivers. Facoring in sick pay in setting rates might be what rich IT contractors can do but this is the big issue - this change hits the lower lower earners. It does not affect rich self employed in anything like the same extent.

Anon1234567890 Sat 11-Mar-17 19:10:15

I live beside a few couple of self employed people, far more wealthy than me (I earn a decent wage, pay massive tax), bigger house, several foreign holidays a year, expensive car, extravagant lifestyle bla bla bla.

Only last year they claimed they had paid their first ever tax bill of a few pounds. Badge of honor party.

They need to be forced to pay the tax that is DUE, they currently don't.

Heatherjayne1972 Sun 12-Mar-17 09:10:03

Not all s/e play the system. I don't even have the opportunity to get 'cash in hand'.
We don't get holiday pay maternity pay redundancy money etc etc etc
Bad choice from the government

specialsubject Wed 15-Mar-17 19:21:47

A week is a long time in politics...

I like that a government will listen to an uproar. I don't like that they thought this would work. I want to know how the hole in the budget from this reversal will be filled.

louiseaaa Wed 15-Mar-17 20:02:46

its partly because their hefty IT infrastructure is staffed by legions of IT contractors, A friend of mine said that the ppl working on the NHS contract that she works on were saying that they would all up their rates. Or leave and work for higher rates in the private sector.

The FO, Treasury and most depts are the same,

They really didn't think that one through.

VeryButchyRestingFace Fri 24-Mar-17 18:59:32

Self employed people or the ones I know write every tiny thing they can off against tax, some of them pay next to no tax, they also get lots of cash in hand and don't declare it either. Some give higher quotes for jobs knowing that they'll be offered cash for a drop in price

You obviously keep very bad company.

I'm SE and I do none of those things. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to, due to the type of industry I work in.

But 🍾 at thd news it's been postponed. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now