Talk

Advanced search

Muslims offer to guard Jewish sites in US

(6 Posts)
LurkingHusband Fri 03-Mar-17 09:31:31

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39142831

Following the recent spate of bomb threats against Jewish community centres and the desecration of graves at cemeteries in Philadelphia and St. Louis, some Muslims have turned to social media to offer to guard Jewish sites.

The offers to protect religious sites have come from Muslims who include military servicemen, lawyers and Emmy Award-winning TV broadcasters.

The JCC Association of North America, a network of cultural centres, reported more than 100 bomb threats against Jewish centres in the first two months of 2017.

On Monday alone, the organisation said another 31 threats were made against Jewish centres including a gunshot fired through a Hebrew school window at an Indiana synagogue.

In a tweet, a former Muslim marine, Tayyib Rashid, pledged: "If your synagogue or Jewish cemetery needs someone to stand guard, count me in. Islam requires it."

(contd)

hurrah for humanity

StandardDeviation Fri 03-Mar-17 09:38:21

smile

NotTheOriginalGreen Fri 03-Mar-17 09:42:03

Wow, what a wonderful gesture.

EssentialHummus Fri 03-Mar-17 09:42:20

We need more of this. I'm Jewish. Whenever I've been involved in joint Jewish-Muslim faith stuff - shared festivals, prayer events etc - they have been wonderfully uplifting and productive for everyone involved.

LurkingHusband Fri 03-Mar-17 09:44:19

There is a "faith of the book" idea that Jews, Christians, and Muslims are all descended from Abraham ?

Anyway, I feel briefly uplifted and slightly better able to face the world today ...

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Fri 03-Mar-17 09:45:58

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now