Talk

Advanced search

Poppi Worthington....IPCC critical of Cumbria Police

(17 Posts)
Alfieisnoisy Fri 03-Mar-17 08:06:37

Couldn't see a thread about this but very critical report from the IPCC regarding the way this baby's death was investigated.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-39139893

Lots and lots of mistakes made and as a result the man accused (but not charged) in relation to her death will never either clear his name or face justice of any kind.

If Poppi died as a result of his actions she has no justice.

If he is telling the truth then he gets no opportunity to clear his name. A poor outcome all round.

MollyGreen Fri 03-Mar-17 10:41:31

I just posted in the old AIBU thread as there has been a few different threads about this.

Truly shocking how badly most if not all professionals involved in this case have handled it .

HalfShellHero Fri 03-Mar-17 10:42:15

Just been watching about this on the Wright stuff ...I just can't believe it negligence to that level , totally shocking poor poor baby ...im so angry there will be no justice.

HateSummer Fri 03-Mar-17 10:46:41

I was thinking about this little girl the other day. What a horrible outcome. sad

badabeedabom Fri 03-Mar-17 15:05:55

Oh gosh I can hardly read anything about poor Poppi, such a dreadful case from start to finish sad

HalfShellHero Fri 03-Mar-17 16:10:27

I read an article on another thread which made me feel ill, horrific and of course now the judge has said he thinks he's guilty he can't be tried as it wouldn't be a fair trial

BarbarianMum Sat 04-Mar-17 20:53:04

This case makes me so angry - that poor, poor little girl. angry I just cannot fathom how such monumental fuck ups in the investigation of this case (such as it was) were allowed to happen - and keep happening. It's almost enough to make you think it wilful.

Alfieisnoisy Sun 05-Mar-17 07:52:37

Yep he changed her nappy and auntie threw the old one away ...and the police allowed that. God knows what evidence might have been present on that.

The auntie wouldn't have known in that moment...she is now defending him though. I guess as a sister it must be hard to believe your brother would do something so terrible.

EnormousTiger Sun 05-Mar-17 11:12:18

Or indeed evidence nothing was amiss... that's the trouble with these difficult cases - so hard to prove who was right or not.

i suspect the best thing we can do is let them all carry on with their lives.

Alfieisnoisy Mon 06-Mar-17 06:41:13

Yes it's a disaster all round.

If he is guilty then Poppi has lost her life and justice will never be done.

If he is innocent then he now has no way of proving it and his life is ruined.

BarbarianMum Mon 06-Mar-17 08:31:11

Well Poppi has lost her life regardless, and suffered serious sexual assualt. And her assailant is still out there. angry

HalfShellHero Mon 06-Mar-17 11:55:19

I agree with PP it seems always sexual abuse cases where the fuck ups loss of evidence suggests
Are so extreme the seem wilful angry

Nicknacky Mon 06-Mar-17 20:20:28

As a detective I have no idea how this could have happened. I don't understand how it could have been investigated as poorly as it was.

HalfShellHero Wed 08-Mar-17 21:16:38

It must be so frustrating and angering for you nicky.

Alfieisnoisy Thu 09-Mar-17 07:53:38

When you work in a profession which gets criticism over a very public case it's normal to read through it. I've done it in the past as a nurse and midwife, occasionally you get a case managed so badly that you just think "WTAF were they thinking?" Sounds like this was one of those cases for you Nicky.

Nicknacky Thu 09-Mar-17 09:37:37

Alfie That's exactly right. I've worked on murders and baby deaths and I cannot comprehend how this can happen?

I don't know if the SCR has been published yet but will be interesting reading as will the eventually outcome of the police failings.

I'm a massive defender of the police and have got into "discussions" on mn when my views defend police but this can't be defended.

Poor Poppi x

dottypotter Thu 09-Mar-17 14:41:14

how can people be so sick to do this to a baby?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now