Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

heather mills may lose her blue badge??

(19 Posts)
hana Tue 27-Feb-07 22:12:25

just read one of the freebie london papers and there was a v small article about heather mills entering the dance fever show in the states, being able to do all sorts of activities.........someone from the council (?) in Hove was interviewed about whether Heather still 'needed' her blue badge for parking and they were going to 'make enquiries'

any thoughts on this?
I'm not sure , surely she must have good days and bad days (with regards to her leg I mean)

just interested in what others might think

DeviousDaffodil Tue 27-Feb-07 22:13:21

It's a bit officiuos. At the end of the day she does has a bona fide disabilty.

hana Tue 27-Feb-07 22:14:04

oh
is this really really old news? just googled so I could post a link and there were dozens of pages that came up

DeviousDaffodil Tue 27-Feb-07 22:14:31

oh well was news to me!

lunavix Tue 27-Feb-07 22:17:03

At the end of the day she is missing a leg... I think that should always be considered a disability...

hana Tue 27-Feb-07 22:17:08

despite what I think of her - if she is registered disabled then she of course is entitled to the badge
that's what I think

(does she even use the badge? any hove mnettesr out there can verify??!!)

Bubble99 Tue 27-Feb-07 22:17:56

There are so many forms of disability which aren't necessarily obvious but which still warrant a blue badge. I think that often, if a person doesn't emerge from a car into a wheelchair they are perceived to be not worthy of having the badge at all.

paulaplumpbottom Tue 27-Feb-07 22:18:58

I don't like her but she is missing her leg, I think that warrents a space.

suejonez Tue 27-Feb-07 22:19:56

can't say I'm her biggest fan either but seems a bit nuts to me. The woman lost her leg - it think that counts as a disability!! What happens if she has blisteres and can't wear her prosthetic leg (I presume that happens).

misdee Tue 27-Feb-07 22:22:33

she cant exactly walk normally without that flase leg can she?

its madness!

Bubble99 Tue 27-Feb-07 22:23:41

SJ. I agree. I was thinking of chaffing but couldn't (and probably still can't) spell it.

LieselVentouse Tue 27-Feb-07 22:31:20

Much as I dont like her I think it is clear to say she is disabled and does require a blue badge

suejonez Tue 27-Feb-07 22:31:30

AS a teenager I had plenty of disabled firends and those in wheelchairs could push themselves faster than I could run. Didn;t occur to me that they shouldn;t be allowed a disabled sticker becasue of it. Isn't that sort of what they are saying - if there are times that your disability does not hold you back then yah boo sucks to you, serves you right for trying too hard to compensate for it.

Madness, tis all madness...

edam Tue 27-Feb-07 22:39:16

Agree with Daffodil, council line on this is wrong. Or are Hove planning to take blue badges away from anyone who enters the paralympics?

coppertop Wed 28-Feb-07 10:03:57

If having only one leg is no longer classed as a disability then what is?! My neighbour had to have a leg amputated a couple of years ago and he finds it so painful to use the prosthetic leg that some days he has to crawl to get up the stairs and around the house. I'm no fan of HMM but the idea of her not being disabled enough for a Blue Badge is ludicrous IMO.

Cappuccino Wed 28-Feb-07 10:07:51

whether or not you get a blue badge is based on how far you can walk and how quickly

and disability is judged with aids - ie if you have crutches or a walking frame the timings etc are with those things so it doesn't matter whether she can walk without her leg or not

I'm willing to be argued out of this position but imo if the woman can go on 15 mile hikes or spring about in a dance show without a problem then there's no reason why she can't walk across Tesco's car park

Cappuccino Wed 28-Feb-07 10:08:40

it's worth pointing out that the woman is wearing the creme de la creme of false legs

I doubt they hand them out willy nilly on the nhs

Whoooosh Wed 28-Feb-07 10:11:19

I'm firmly with Cappuccino on this.

Cappuccino Wed 28-Feb-07 10:17:53

has anyone ever seen the comedian Adam Hills? He has a false foot, I've seen him live and he said he doesn't consider himself disabled as it doesn't disable him from doing anything

he certainly leapt about in a not entirely displeasing, energetic type of way

mmmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now