Talk

Advanced search

U.K. 'Quietly' announced it won't be taking anymore unaccompanied child refugees

(370 Posts)
Motherofhowmany Wed 08-Feb-17 17:07:14

Absolutely appalling, we've only resettled 350 of the promised 3000.

I work with some of these children. The things they have seen are horrendous.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/only-350-syrian-refugee-children-will-be-allowed-to-settle-in-britain-thousands-less-than-promised-a7569691.html

Chaotica Wed 08-Feb-17 17:09:30

That's terrible. Thanks for posting -- I didn't know that.

Motherofhowmany Wed 08-Feb-17 17:11:50

That's why I posted it. Brexit negotiations have meant its flown under the radar.

NeverTwerkNaked Wed 08-Feb-17 17:12:48

Heartbreaking sad

NeverTwerkNaked Wed 08-Feb-17 17:13:27

I think they are slipping out things like this while we are all distracted by trump sad

Badgerbird Wed 08-Feb-17 17:17:33

Bloody outrage. Thanks for posting op. What is wrong with people?! These are children for f*%#s sake!!

NewtScamandersNaughtyNiffler Wed 08-Feb-17 17:19:51

sad

PausingFlatly Wed 08-Feb-17 18:06:18

Oh bloody hell.

I hardly dare ask, but what's their likely future now, Mother?

user1475253854 Wed 08-Feb-17 18:12:10

Thanks for posting.

Motherofhowmany Wed 08-Feb-17 19:12:50

everybody I'm working with is already in the uk so won't be affecting them (I hope). Though I hope it has no impact on those who have not had their immigration status confirmed yet.

Crumbs1 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:22:22

So, so,sad.

Sittinginthesun Wed 08-Feb-17 19:25:33

Saw this on Facebook. Don't think it will stay quiet for long...

Anon1234567890 Thu 09-Feb-17 12:13:25

The newspaper article linked to has a pic of what looks like a 2 yo baby. In reality the unaccompanied minors were more like 25 yo.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Thu 09-Feb-17 12:28:49

I've worked with organisations trying to secure the future of these children.
It's heartbreaking indeed.

As for what's going to happen to them, an estimated one third of all the minors living in the Calais Jungle camp disappeared during or before the eviction there. Many of the children that made it to the centres in France where they were helped with (and refused) their asylum claims to join family in the UK, well those kids have gone to live in the streets of Paris and Calais, where live is very dangerous.

Sex traffickers, paedophiles, people traffickers and organ harvesters are doing very nicely out of this crisis. The demand for young bodies across Europe and beyond isn't decreasing, it's a massive industry which we find hard to countenance but exists all the same. The nightly cars drawing up outside the refugee camps in France offering money, a meal,a phone, to vulnerable and desperate youngsters were just the thin end of the wedge.

Please ask your MP what they are doing about this.

Tippexy Thu 09-Feb-17 12:34:42

How have they managed to get from their country to here without adult help?

By definition, it's impossible to arrive in the UK as a refugee.

The 'minors' were over 18 in many cases.

And once they arrive, they bring all the family.

There are many good reasons why this policy has been announced.

Motherofhowmany Thu 09-Feb-17 12:35:55

anon I can safely tell you that majority of them were in the region of 12-17. I didn't see any that looked remotely close to 25.

Motherofhowmany Thu 09-Feb-17 12:36:43

Most of them were brought by adult traffickers they didn't just come by themselves.

BarbarianMum Thu 09-Feb-17 12:47:43

If you think an 11/12/13 year old can't survive and travel 1000 of miles by themselves Tippexy then you haven't read enough Holocaust literature.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Thu 09-Feb-17 15:10:23

Tippexy you don't know what you're talking about. You have lifted some lines straight from a DM or similar rag and taken them as gospel truth.

Try talking to people who have worked with refugees, who have been in refugee camps and seen the situations first hand. It may give you a more balanced view.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Thu 09-Feb-17 15:21:33

Here's the petition which you can sign:

www.citizensuk.org/dubs_petition?recruiter_id=55943

It was named the Dubs amendment after Lord Alf Dubs, a member of Parliament. Dubs was one of 669 Czech-resident, mainly Jewish, children saved by English stockbroker Nicholas Winton and others from the Nazis on the Kindertransport (Dubs' father was Jewish). His father had fled to England the day the Nazis arrived in Czechoslovakia and young Alf was to meet him at Liverpool Street station.

He later said that he clearly remembered leaving Prague station at age six and not touching the food pack given to him by his mother for the next two days. His mother was initially denied a visa but was able to join him and his father in London shortly afterwards.

So yes, sometimes their families do join them.

RortyCrankle Thu 09-Feb-17 15:33:15

Could I ask those who are appalled, how many Syrian children you are currently fostering yourselves? I would also like to ask what you think happens to British children who are in desperate need of being fostered? Are they simply to be tossed aside?

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Thu 09-Feb-17 15:39:13

Rorty fosterers don't get to pick who they foster. It's not a matter of choice. So no child would be prioritised for fostering on their nationality, it would be decided on other needs.

The Dubs Amendment isn't dealing with children who need fostering though - it covers children who already have families in the Uk who are willing and able to care for them.

SpringSpringSpring Thu 09-Feb-17 15:41:10

This is just awful, the current government disgusts me.

And Rorty, there's someone like you on every thread. My experience of volunteering is that those who volunteer for one charity also volunteer for others. Those who wander round saying 'but what about the ...' do bugger all except read the Daily Fail.

RortyCrankle Thu 09-Feb-17 15:55:36

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel
Rorty fosterers don't get to pick who they foster. It's not a matter of choice. So no child would be prioritised for fostering on their nationality, it would be decided on other needs.

Yes I know, but for every Syrian child who is placed in foster care, a British child is left wanting. And it has been proven that a percentage of the Syrian children are not children at all.

Oh and I read the Telegraph but carry on with the small minded insults.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 09-Feb-17 15:59:30

I'm British and didn't ever get long term fosterers.

I wouldn't wish that on any child, British or Syrian or other. It's soul destroying and it stays with you for your whole life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now