Talk

Advanced search

More abusers jailed in Rotherham

(46 Posts)
roseshippy Fri 03-Feb-17 02:14:28

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-38845332

"Six men have been jailed for sexually abusing two girls who they plied with alcohol and cannabis.
One girl was 11 when the assaults began and was made pregnant at 12. The second girl was 13.
The offences took place between 1999 and 2001 in Rotherham, South Yorkshire.
Two of the defendants shouted "Allahu Akbar" as they were led from the dock after sentencing."

"In an impact statement read to the court, the victim said: "There's evil and truly evil people in the world. I feel my child was the product of pure evil.
"I was drawn into a world of fear, rape and horrific abuse, I lost my childhood at the hands of those men."
She described how she was shunned by many in her community and felt "completely owned by these dirty old men who would do with me whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted"."

MyBeloved Fri 03-Feb-17 11:46:21

Horrific. There really are no words.

AshesandDust Fri 03-Feb-17 12:13:50

Poor tortured kids... the horror they went through is unimaginable.

ShitzandGiggles Fri 03-Feb-17 15:50:34

There seems to be so little interest from the media and the public in organised sexual abuse of children in Northern towns (mainly) by men from other cultures. Yet a lot of energy has gone into protesting about Donald Trump, voted into power democratically by people of another country.

Lucy7400 Sun 05-Feb-17 00:28:40

Outrageous. Why is there so little said about the blindingly obvious problem with some men from these cultures?

venusinscorpio Sun 05-Feb-17 00:36:10

So so many people failed these young girls.

RacoonBandit Sun 05-Feb-17 00:38:08

I think because so many cultures have this problem Lucy its difficult to say its a specific culture dont you think?

Amandahugandkisses Sun 05-Feb-17 00:38:15

Horrifying.

OlennasWimple Sun 05-Feb-17 00:39:20

sad

Lucy7400 Sun 05-Feb-17 01:12:16

Not really Racoon there is clearly an issue with some men from certain cultures behaving in this way. Sexual abuse is by no means limited to one culture but this is a specific MO of abusing groups of very young girls in a highly organised fashion for long periods of time. There have been several of these cases recently and they have almost all (but not exclusively)been carried out by men of Pakistani origin. Why cant that be spoken about and looked into? The problem wont be solved unless its understood.

RacoonBandit Sun 05-Feb-17 01:27:38

You are wrong.

Shirley Oaks children's home 1950s to the 80s resulted in 100s of children being abused by white uk British men and women.

Bryn Estyn in the 70s and 80s another children's home where many were abused by white uk British.

Kendall house in the 60s a catholic home for girls.....where they were drugged and abused by their white male uk British carers.

I could go on but it is quiteharrowing.

Lucy to believe sexual abuse by a "ring" is only down to one culture is naive and small minded.

Organised child abuse happens in all cultures.
You want to speak about it then start with the stuff that happened in the 50s through to the 90s (and longer) which was committed by white uk born men and women. Then tell me about some men from these cultures.

Lucy7400 Sun 05-Feb-17 01:38:19

I didnt say only one culture is involved in abuse rings. hmm

But of late, there have been several cases where the pattern of abuse etc have been very similar. One of those similarities have been the fact that most of then men are from Pakistani origin. Thats not saying every Pakistanian will do this , neither is it saying that other cultures would not do it. But there is a noticeable pattern.

RacoonBandit Sun 05-Feb-17 01:43:24

Then why use the word culture?

As I highlited white British men have organised sexual abuse rings in this country for decades. There are case that even now are still been investigated.
Sexual abuse rings are not just cultural. They exist because the people in them have a common connector such as they work together, have the same faith and attend the same church, are family members or friends, met on the internet. What binds them is not culture it is their desire to sexually abuse.

Guiltypleasures001 Sun 05-Feb-17 01:44:45

I am moved to say that sadly because this kind of debate was shut down, that these kinds of crimes were allowed to be perpetrated unchecked , because of fear of being seen as racist.

RacoonBandit Sun 05-Feb-17 01:49:17

I don't disagree with that Guilty those who should have protected those girls didn't but that does not mean that the statement some men from these cultures is right either.

Guiltypleasures001 Sun 05-Feb-17 01:52:24

I think it is right to say that some men from these cultures are abusers, just like it is true of other cultures regardless of colour.

My point is, that because the racist finger pointing was so feared, they were in some cases deliberately overlooked.

Lucy7400 Sun 05-Feb-17 01:53:47

Yep agree white men have arranged rings of abuse. No arguments there. As have chinese, middle eastern. The list goes on. I am perhaps not being clear. I am talking about a very specific type of ring. Just google school girl abuse gangs and there looks like a pattern. Predominantly Northern towns/cities. Predominantly very young girls.Predominantly abused for long periods of time over many years by gangs. Predominantly coerced with gifts. Predominantly committed by men of Pakistani origin. Its an observation and maybe its wrong but to me there seems an awful lot in common with these cases, and they make up the majority of recently reported ring abuse cases. Now, that maybe because of media bias. Or it could be the police and authorities have finally woken up and they are linked in some way.

Lucy7400 Sun 05-Feb-17 01:56:11

And yes, I think fear of being labelled racist may have stopped authorities looking into this earlier. I base this on an interview I heard on the radio from a victim who said as much.

venusinscorpio Sun 05-Feb-17 01:59:26

You're correct. Read the official enquiry into Rotherham Council's role in it.

RacoonBandit Sun 05-Feb-17 02:01:35

It's a little bit like Yew tree isn't it?

The police finally woke up and bam many white mostly uk males were all "done" for sexual abuse.

I remember the late 80s early 90s where the news seemed to be full of children's home sexual abuse cases. It seemed like a trend.

Then there is the Catholic Church abuse scandles they seemed high in the 90s

Most recently the white football coach sexual abuse case.

As I said they are linked by many things such as job/family/friendships so to blame the culture as a reason they are linked is daft because the real reason is their sick need to abuse children,

RacoonBandit Sun 05-Feb-17 02:05:54

The fact the authorities did nothing through fear of being labelled racist is a piss poor excuse on their part. Children were being abused that was the most important thing yet they were able to put that to one side.
These girls where not abused by a culture they were abused by men that the authorities chose to ignore.

PenelopeFlintstone Sun 05-Feb-17 02:10:14

Is the difference, which shocks us, that the Pakistani groups focus on girls from outside their culture, making us wonder what they truly think of English girls? By extension of it, does it make people wonder what the 'average UK Pakistani man' thinks of the 'average English girl'? (I say English as British would encompass many cultures.) This wasn't the case in the other incidents, perhaps?

Guiltypleasures001 Sun 05-Feb-17 02:11:32

I think the culture element stems from the victims being predominantly white, and the no sex before marriage, particularly being a problem in India. and that the victims were seen as easy prey slags and worthless.

This also wasn't helped by those who should have been looking out for them, agreeing with those statements.

Most of the men involved were married with kids, and would never have dreamed of abusing their own I suspect. Many though we're from abroad, where their 'culture' holds little to no respect for women in general yet lone white women or girls.

RacoonBandit Sun 05-Feb-17 02:15:02

Given girls from their own culture usually have stricter up bringings/are not allowed out on their own and most of the girls they abused were in the care system so not monitored/parented it is cultural in that sense but not in the way Lucy means.

Frankly they abused these girls because they were easy targets and those in charge of their welfare didn't give a shit. It was opportunity not culture that attracted the men.

PenelopeFlintstone Sun 05-Feb-17 02:20:54

I don't agree. I also think their view was that the girls were worthless (slags), and I believe that that view is their cultural view. Unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now