Private school sued for refusing to let female-to-male transgender pupil wear boy's uniform

(24 Posts)
roseshippy Thu 02-Feb-17 13:19:51

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-38827731

Pupil is 16, presumably Y11, but may have happened earlier. School is Hereford Cathedral School (CofE)

School uniform list seems to indicate skirts for girls, trousers for boys up to Y11, trouser suit or skirt for sixth form girls.

fluencycontent-schoolwebsite.netdna-ssl.com/FileCluster/HerefordCathedral/MainFolder/Senior/Documents/2016/Uniform-Yrs-7-Sixth-Form-including-games-kit.pdf

GahBuggerit Thu 02-Feb-17 13:24:10

I think its an even bigger scandal that this school wants girls legs on display. The school should be sued on the basis of having a sexist uniform policy.

roseshippy Thu 02-Feb-17 13:27:02

Really? I think that's par for the course in the independent sector tbh.

I mean you literally sign up to pay them £100,000 to have your children dressed according in their chosen uniform. It's not exactly going to come as a surprise.

GahBuggerit Thu 02-Feb-17 13:30:05

Yes really, I think its shocking that young girls are being told their legs need to be on show in school. For what purpose exactly? Does having air on their legs mean they listen better? Look smarter? Learn quicker?

AlexanderHamilton Thu 02-Feb-17 13:30:11

Very interesting. There is a transgender girl to boy in dd's school. since this academic year girls are now allowed to wear trousers day to day but must wear skirts on formal occasions. So this pupil had to wear a skirt at the Christmas Carol service.

HalfManHalfBiscuit Sun 12-Feb-17 23:54:12

There was a transgender girl to boy at my ds's school. All students can wear trousers but they were allowed to wear a boy's shirt rather than a blouse and as far as I know no-one batted an eyelid. Made me feel proud. But that's a state school without a religious affiliation.

BarrackerBarma Mon 13-Feb-17 15:00:19

^ they were allowed to wear a boy's shirt rather than a blouse^

but the girls were not allowed presumably. I can't think of any valid reason why there should be a distinction between shirt and blouse and which sex should wear which.

Especially in a state school.

missyB1 Mon 13-Feb-17 15:03:39

But parents choose to send their children to independent schools, nobody has to choose a particular private school. If the parents didn't like the uniform policy they simply need to look for another school surely?

myfavouritecolourispurple Wed 15-Feb-17 19:13:29

Easy solution here for schools - don't have sexist uniforms. Let the girls wear trousers, let the boys wear skirts - if they do wish. Trans - what they like. PE kit can be unisex too.

And don't bother with ties.

myfavouritecolourispurple Wed 15-Feb-17 19:13:41

if they SO wish.

GahBuggerit Wed 15-Feb-17 20:56:47

Missy that doesnt mean its ok. An employer, of adults, would have a very hard time justifying why they demand women to wear a skirt only, yet in schools its just dandy?

Theres no reason for a school to demand girls have their legs on show, it doesnt enhance learning, doesnt look any smarter, it has no benefit at all except, oh yes, young girls legs are on display, which benefits...........??? hmm

IrenetheQuaint Wed 15-Feb-17 20:58:34

YY purple. Gender-neutral uniform is totally the way forward - and so easy and obvious.

DorcasthePuffin Wed 15-Feb-17 21:00:49

The parents may have chosen a particular school with particular rules, but that doesn't mean their child has no rights to be treated with respect and to have gender equality at school.

I think it would be hideous to force this child into a skirt, regardless of whether this is 'par for the course' for independent schools.

titchy Wed 15-Feb-17 21:02:50

Do they insist Muslim girls wear skirts I wonder?

DorcasthePuffin Wed 15-Feb-17 21:03:03

And I also agree that it shouldn't be about creating an exception for trans kids (hate the thought of little butch lesbians having to say they're trans to be allowed into trousers sad). They need to start designing gender neutral choices into uniforms.

GooseFriend Wed 15-Feb-17 21:07:04

In this day and age they don't let girls (and trans) wear trousers and shirts?

Fucking hell!

MrsKCastle Wed 15-Feb-17 21:14:05

I agree with the posters saying that uniform policy should be gender neutral, and completely unrelated to sex. It's quite frankly bizarre to make rules saying 'Children with a penis should wear x, children with a vagina should wear y.' It's equally weird to say 'Children who identify as x must wear a, children who identify as y must wear b.'

The only sensible option is either 'All children must wear x' or 'Children may choose to wear x or y.'

F1GI Wed 15-Feb-17 21:26:33

I think for Muslim girls who need to have legs covered, these types of school get the school skirt material taken to a seamstress and make the girl a floor length skirt in a similar style to the usual skirt, just longer. I know someone working in a private school who arranged this for a girl. The family paid the cost of the unaltered skirt and the school paid the rest. Seems alright but personally I don't approve of the policies that independent schools have re forcing girls into skirts and not allowing trousers. These schools should be dragged into the 21st century IMO.

noeffingidea Fri 17-Mar-17 15:18:02

All school uniforms should be as unisex as possible, IMO, allowing for neccesary differences in shape if course. This would nip this kind of nonsense in the bud. Obviously that means no skirts.

poshme Fri 17-Mar-17 19:53:14

This school has regulation skirts to below the knee & regulation long grey socks.
Not a lot of leg on show tbh!

OddBoots Fri 17-Mar-17 19:57:38

It really is about time schools were banned from having different uniform requirements dependant on sex or even gender.

Hulababy Sun 19-Mar-17 10:01:35

I would t support just unisex uniforms. Why no skirts allowed? What's wrong with skirts?

Yes - allow anyone to wear either but I don't think you should ban skirts just because some pupils want to wear trousers! Allow both and let the children choose.

FWIW Dd wears a skirt every day for school but with thick tights - see no more of her legs than if she was wearing the skinny jeans she wears at the weekend, infact probably less so as the skirt is far less fitted than the jeans.

Dd's school doesn't actually have trousers as an option. Uniform is reviewed every couple of years. Last year an overwhelming majority chose skirts so that's what they've kept for now. The Muslim girls have looser leggings type things under their skirts. The Muslim friends of Dd voted for skirts not trousers.

OddBoots Sun 19-Mar-17 10:07:00

You can include skirts in the uniform, just don't specify them as for girls, skirts and trousers are equally acceptable as uniform for all pupils. Then the pupils/parents choose without any fuss being needed.

Hulababy Sun 19-Mar-17 19:10:41

Seems a better system OddBoots, than just banning skirts full stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now