Talk

Advanced search

To feel incredibly sad over treatment of the slenderman attempted murder girls

(182 Posts)
Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 17:53:47

So I watched the documentary early this morning and just can't stop thinking about the 2 girls.
I understand what they did totally and they've never once denied what they did either.
I just feel so very sad that a so called compassionate society would treat as they are.
Of course it was wrong but they need help and love and care and proper treatment,not to be put on trial as adults 2 years after the offence with a chance of anything upto 65 years In prison.
I already have a low opinion on the USA in general and this lowers it more to feel it's terrible to treat them as they are.
I think about if it was my eldest girl and yes she knows right and wrong but no girl her age thinks about consequences thinks about things at all as an adult will.
I think the justice system they are been put through is very sick and twisted.also makes me wonder if they were of rich parents this may not be as it is now.
If they had been allowed to be tried as juveniles they would be out of prison at 18 but could still be monitored fully as needed. That would still be 6 years in prison. For a child 6 years is An entire life to them.

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 17:55:11

And before so done says it yes I feel sorry for the victim of course but I'm sure or hope even she wouldn't want them in prison forever.,

severaltypesofcheese Sat 28-Jan-17 18:00:18

I agree, but it's not just the US system that's fucked up. Robert Thompson and Jon Venables were younger than these girls and were tried as adults.

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 18:02:13

The bulger ones weren't they ?

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 18:03:47

I dont understand just how can treat a child as a child always unless they do something that just goes a little further,then suddenly they must be adult then

thethoughtfox Sat 28-Jan-17 18:05:35

Where can you watch it?

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 18:07:35

I watched in catch up tv ,though it's also on sky under documentaries and crime

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 18:09:04

I've never really felt like this over someone I don't know and never will. But I think if you watch you'll get simmillar feelings just on there reactions etc.

neonrainbow Sat 28-Jan-17 18:13:37

What would you think if your daughter was the victim?

I think I'll save all my compassion for her.

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 18:18:15

Already answered that

TheTantrumCometh Sat 28-Jan-17 18:18:51

I've just downloaded it so I think I'll update when I've watched it.

My initial reaction is on the fence. I think these girls must be seriously mentally disturbed and they need support through that-not just chucking in prison to rot. But, although children have less of a sense of consequence than adults, how far does that extend? Were they totally unaware that their actions would kill this girl? I think they did know that.

As I said, I've not watched it yet, so these opinions aren't formed with that in mind. I'll be interested to see if it changes my view

Badcat666 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:22:01

They stabbed her 19 times and left her to die, if she hadn't been found she would have died. If one of the cuts had been a millimeter more, her main artery would have been cut and she would have bled too death.

When I was 12 I knew stabbing someone was completely wrong as was killing someone. (and I was bought up in a household with no religion, I was taught what was right and what was wrong).

If they had been allowed to be tried as juveniles they would be out of prison at 18 but could still be monitored fully as needed. That would still be 6 years in prison. For a child 6 years is An entire life to them.

Do you think the child they wanted to kill will "get over it" in 6 years? So for nearly killing another child they should do what? Giver them both a hug and told it "wasn't their fault" they stabbed another child 19 times and be let off and back into society?

Children can be just as terrible and cruel and destructive as an adult.

They intended to kill that child.

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 18:22:29

She didn't die,but yes they did attempt to kill her.
I'm not defending what they did I'm only saying the system is very screwed up

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 18:26:07

I don't believe keeping a full life in prison is an answer to a child's crime,proper help yes

Badcat666 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:38:56

Attempted murder is just the same as actual murder.

Yes the system is screwed up but child killers don't fall into an easy slot when it comes to any penal system because we, as a society, don't expect a child to kill or try and kill another human being.

So when it happens there is no "one sentence fits all" and that state has decided to set them to be tried as adults because Wisconsin law states, "all murder and attempted-murder charges for children older than 10 start in adult court."

Also it wasn't like the poor girl was a stranger to them, she was a friend..

A "childs crime" is maybe smashing a window or nicking a bike, not luring a friend into a wood and stabbing her over and over and over again.

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 18:41:45

I don't agree with you or the system as it is and never will either

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 18:46:09

But I think you miss the point as an adult they'd be in some kind of care/institution fully,they've wasted 2 years deciding to try them as adults and been kept in prison,yes one now since the decision is now in a institution voluntarily but 2 years of bullshit to decide this.
As I said I'm not intrested in the crime they've never denied they did as they did.
I'm only intrested in the system that's crazily wrong.

AQuietMind Sat 28-Jan-17 18:49:56

If someone done that to my child, regardless of age they would have to be locked up for a very long time and that would be for their own safety. I feel no sorrow or sympathy for these girls.

Misstic Sat 28-Jan-17 18:50:35

Sorry, my sympathies are with the victim. We seem to pick and choose at our convenience what constitutes a child and hence lacking full awareness of consequences. We are happy for these same kids to be sexual active and hence responsible enough to raise a child. However, when they attempt to brutally murder simeobe, with clear malice and intent, we seem to think that they are only babies.

Misstic Sat 28-Jan-17 18:51:22

Simeobe = someone

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 18:53:27

Ok and if it was your girl that had done this and your missed her mental issues totally would you be saying the same? I doubt it !

Badcat666 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:57:03

I'm just posting my thoughts, pointing out some facts about the brutal crime and stating that to me a crime committed by a child doesn't include trying to kill another child.

All penal systems are screwed up and there is never going to be enough support for criminals with mental issues but to state that That would still be 6 years in prison. For a child 6 years is An entire life to them is a bit of a special snowflake kind of response.

They committed a terrible crime against a friend and neither told the truth about who thought of it, blaming each other. So what are we meant to do? We are meant to hopefully get them treated and rehabilitated. That will take time and they have to start to learn right from wrong as, from where I sit, they thought it was fine to do what they did and haven't taken responsibility for their actions by telling the truth.

I'm hoping they do get treated as children and they get at least 6 years... 6 years to have treatment and medication so they don't get released and actually end up killing someone, perhaps killing another child.

Redglitter Sat 28-Jan-17 19:02:51

Having just read the details of the case I think I'll save my sympathy for the wee soul they tried to save. How on earth does a 12 year old begin to get over such a horrific attack.

It was both brutal and completely pre meditated I find it impossible to feel sorry for them

Badcat666 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:03:19

The reason it is taking so long is because the case has been going back and forth and back on forth on mental health grounds and assessments on the girls. And I can imagine it's the girls lawyers that are asking for assessments etc thus prolonging it all.

They has also having treatments during the 2 years.

Carollocking Sat 28-Jan-17 19:04:50

Treating and rehabilitation is the only chance yes but wasting the first 2 years deffinately will not help that at all.
I just hope that it happens sooner and not later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now