Talk

Advanced search

What's with the lack of vegetables in shops?

(37 Posts)
user1481838270 Fri 27-Jan-17 01:04:06

I know it's January but what is with the lack of vegetables in shops?

I've been in a few supermarkers in different areas in the last few weeks and none of these shops seem to have courgettes or spinich. Other vegetables such as broccoli and carrots are also in short supply.

I don't ever remember supplies being this bad in January before.

Is there a war on that I don't know about?

user1481838270 Fri 27-Jan-17 01:06:24

supermarkets, spinach. smile

theothercatpurred Fri 27-Jan-17 01:08:49

There are no courgettes because the crop in Spain and other places failed I think. I didn't catch why.

I just did an online shop this evening. The vegetables were really expensive.

theothercatpurred Fri 27-Jan-17 01:10:14

The guardian says

"Snow across Spanish farming areas means tomato, lettuce, pepper and celery shortage - and higher prices - may last into spring"

theothercatpurred Fri 27-Jan-17 01:11:08

link

theothercatpurred Fri 27-Jan-17 01:12:18

I expect this kind of thing may become the new normal when climate change really kicks in.

user1481838270 Fri 27-Jan-17 01:18:28

Thanks.

I don't think I've ever come across anything on a par with these shortages before.

Bookaboo Fri 27-Jan-17 18:32:04

I knew about the courgette shortage due to snow. Not helped by the current trend for spiralising veg as a replacement for pasta.

But, a sign in my supermarket said they had no spinach because of heavy rain in Spain.

cdtaylornats Fri 27-Jan-17 22:45:30

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the Spinach?

user1481838270 Fri 27-Jan-17 23:28:11

grin

CeeBeeBee Tue 31-Jan-17 18:57:19

I noticed there was no lettuce in Sainsbury's yesterday.

BareGrylls Tue 31-Jan-17 19:11:21

Lettuce and courgettes are summer veg. Try sticking to seasonal UK grown veg instead of imported stuff.
Carrots, cabbages, leeks, kale etc.

TizzyDongue Tue 31-Jan-17 19:15:29

There was a sign up in the shop I was in today explaining there were certain vegetables in short supply due to adverse whether constitutions (I paraphrase - I had thought of taking a picture if the sign to help me remember - for unrelated MN reasons - wish I had now).

Kahuna Tue 31-Jan-17 19:19:14

I was in Morrison's earlier today and not a shred of lettuce or tomatoes of any variety in sight - no explanation why. Thought it was odd.

Kahuna Tue 31-Jan-17 19:21:41

I do know that they are "seasonal" and this is not their traditional "season" but I have NEVER been in a supermarket at any time of year and not been able to get lettuce or tomatoes....

Anononoo Thu 02-Feb-17 04:50:41

Spinach locally has gone IP 300% prob to do with brexit. .(joke)

Lico Fri 03-Feb-17 10:35:56

Came back from Paris a couple of days ago. No shortage of anything in shops or markets over there?
In Tesco, Iceberg lettuce is now imported from California so will be more expensive.
Sprouts and parsnips are in season so best to get those.

DalekBred Fri 03-Feb-17 16:33:35

Can I ask a genuine question?

Just wondering: fresh produce from Europe.

Comes in lorries.

people smuggling themselves on lorries.

those that get caught...isn't the food classed as contaminated? and if it is, is it all thrown away, as the buyers lose money from it? or do they still send it to supermarkets?

and the people that successfully get into the UK and are NOT found on lorries, its unknown if food has been contaminated (If that's the right word).

I don't think anyones fallen sick or anything from produce from Europe, just genuinely wondering.

and cant most of the veg and fruit be grown in the UK? I though most things were.

and btw not migrant bashing by any means in case anyone gets the wrong idea.

Lico Fri 03-Feb-17 17:31:48

Contaminated by what?

PatriciaHolm Fri 03-Feb-17 20:47:42

People aren't coming in sleeping on the lettuces.

And we produce less than 60% of the food we eat, partly at least because we demand things be available all year round when it's impossible to meet that demand given our climate.

Mistigri Sat 04-Feb-17 05:48:49

It doesn't help that British farms are closing because they can't get farmworkers: app.ft.com/content/e22c9d5c-e95c-11e6-893c-082c54a7f539

We are in France and there are no obvious shortages here, although prices have gone up a bit. But shops here sell more seasonal local produce. Plenty of lettuces, had no idea there was a UK shortage until I read the news!

Think much of the problem is over-reliance on Spanish mass production, because UK supermarkets will only buy from the cheapest producers. Here in France we can never get a lettuce for 45p even in season; I typically pay between €0.9 and €1.30 (roughly £0.85-£1.20) depending on season and variety of lettuce.

No shortage of courgettes either, although they are more expensive than usual.

The story here is that UK supermarkets don't pay enough for their vegetables and that as a result their supply chains are too narrow and therefore vulnerable to disruption.

languagelearner Sat 04-Feb-17 13:28:15

There's a shortage up here too, in Scandinavia. First there was some salad etc. at about £10/kg and now there was barely none at all. No courgettes. I bought an ecological white cabbage head instead. The salads is now flown in from the States, I read.

theothercatpurred Sat 04-Feb-17 14:10:45

DalekBred - what?!!

Do you really think there are so many immigrants in veg trucks that their presence would effect the national supply of courgettes and salad? And why not tomatoes or carrots?!

Your logic is screwy! If you read the Express or the Mail I suggest you give them a rest, they are distorting your perception of reality!

Lottie4 Sat 04-Feb-17 15:08:44

No tomatoes and only a few packs of peppers in Tescos this morning. Quite a lot of vegetable crates are turned over I guess due to no supply. I've been trying to buy Brussels sproats over the last few days from there, but they haven't got any - do they buy their sproats from Spain?!

specialsubject Sat 04-Feb-17 16:09:42

Perhaps a wake up call not to expect summer veg in winter? Tomatoes and lettuce are tasteless at this time of year.

We can only hope that the UK law that we get veg for appearance, not flavour will be repealed at some time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now