Talk

Advanced search

US woman dies from infection resistant to all know bacteria

(38 Posts)
Bookaboo Fri 13-Jan-17 18:25:34

Scary stuff.
Anyone in the know around to comment on this?
She was in India when she acquired the infection, which was after she'd cut her leg. She'd already had the infection for 2 years.
If it wasn't adequately treated to start with could this have been a contributing factor?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/13/us-woman-killed-superbug-resistant-every-available-antibiotic/

Bookaboo Fri 13-Jan-17 18:26:42

Why do my links never work first time??
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/13/us-woman-killed-superbug-resistant-every-available-antibiotic/

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 13-Jan-17 18:27:20

I'm not on the know, quite the opposite, but I saw this earlier and thought it very scary.

But isn't this the thing-that-we-don't-really-acknowledge? Some futuristic problem.

Bookaboo Fri 13-Jan-17 18:28:12

Gah! Can I edit the title? That should be "resistant to all known antibiotics"!!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 13-Jan-17 18:35:25

I knew what you meant 😀😀

PossumInAPearTree Fri 13-Jan-17 18:37:39

I have an infection which so far is resistant to antibiotics. Have had it for well over five years and have been on daily high dose antibiotics for over three years.

My professor says in my case it's not just that the infection itself is very resistant to the antibiotics but also that he can't get the antibiotics to reach the infection because the bugs have covered themselves in a protective biofilm to hide from the antibiotics.

My prof actually isn't that worried about antibiotic resistant bugs. He reckons all bugs can be killed by antibiotics, but that it may take years and extremely high doses.......more than is normally used. Many doctors are reluctant to go down the high dose route because it goes against guidelines and occasionally people die from the antibiotics or suffer permanent organ damage. I know that potentially my treatment plan could kill me but I agree to the risk.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 13-Jan-17 18:40:39

Doctors are working on better ways of delivering antibiotics. The professor treating me is doing trials on mice and reckons he may next year be allowed to trial it on people. I'm not sure of the details, nanotechnology, etc. Sounds very exciting. I don't worry about it, people will develop stuff.

Bookaboo Fri 13-Jan-17 18:45:11

Sorry to hear you're feeling the effects of this first hand possum. Your prof sounds very positive.
I'm sure you've investigated all sorts of things extensively, but have you tried avoiding sugar? A colleague at work swore by it, as she said sugar feeds infection.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 13-Jan-17 18:52:26

Thanks but yes tried it. Also tried a low histamine diet, clean eating diet, taking anti histamines, etc.

MorrisZapp Fri 13-Jan-17 19:06:18

Heard it on the news and wasn't sure why is was such a big story? Surely people die of untreatable infections all the time? Obviously I'm wrong but not sure how exactly.

maccheese Fri 13-Jan-17 19:07:49

Bloody hell! This is really scary.

I've been telling people for years we are due for a epidemic that will wipe out 85-90% of the world population (world is V over-populated and theory is the world can only house, feed, and water 11 billion people - after that we revert to Darwinian style survival of the fittest or an epidemic will come along) and what wipes us out will most likely be a super-bug resistant to all antibiotics.

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 13-Jan-17 19:09:14

I know someone who died of an infection in a major first world teaching hospital not very long ago. She died because the antibiotics didn't work (and she would have access to all of them). I don't understand how this is a new news story?

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 13-Jan-17 19:12:20

Cross posted with Morris. I can't pretend to understand.

Although I do know my extremely sensible friend who is a nurse is quite doom-mongery about this. Ie. she is less worried about terrorism and global warming than anti biotic resistance.

You only have to look at headlice for a very understandable example.

FondantNancy Fri 13-Jan-17 19:15:30

world is V over-populated and theory is the world can only house, feed, and water 11 billion people - after that we revert to Darwinian style survival of the fittest or an epidemic will come along

There is absolutely no way of knowing that, since we've never been in that position before. There are actually plenty of resources to go around, it's just that so many are misused or skewed in wealthier countries. The problem we've seen with population growth is overconsumption, not lack of resources.

BakeOffBiscuits Fri 13-Jan-17 19:15:31

I too don't understand why it's on the news. I thought people died from this sort of thing all the time.confused

PossumInAPearTree Fri 13-Jan-17 19:19:20

I think it's news because they isolated the bacteria in the lab to see what drugs it was susceptible to and it wasn't susceptible to any.

Yes people die of infections a lot but generally people who die of infections die from infections which are susceptible to antibiotics. Either the antibiotics weren't started soon enough or the person was already too weak or old to cope. Antibiotics aren't an instant cure, so the person has to survive long enough for them to start working and sometimes people don't.

ijustwannadance Fri 13-Jan-17 19:28:41

The thing is, people have always died from infections. Antibiotics have only been around a relatively short time. Viruses mutate/adapt because they need to survive and multiply.
The other issue is that overuse of antibiotics messes with gut bacteria and your immune system. Bad diets low in fresh food also contribute.

I'm already screwed, allergic to penicillin and have had mild reactions to other antibiotics😷😁

Dontstepinthecowpat Fri 13-Jan-17 19:33:43

I thought that mrsa was antibiotic resistant? Not knowledgable at all though just following with interest.

MrsPeelyWally Fri 13-Jan-17 19:39:42

My husband colleague also died after scratching himself on a bush in India whilst walking along a path on his way home for lunch.

The medical authorities in the country where we live even sent out Drs to help treat him but it was hopeless. He was dead within days.

MrsPeelyWally Fri 13-Jan-17 19:40:17

I'm already screwed, allergic to penicillin and have had mild reactions to other antibiotics😷😁

Me too

Bookaboo Fri 13-Jan-17 19:42:42

As I understand MRSA is a particular strain of staph bacteria that is resistant to a particular antiobiotic (methicillin, the 'M' in MRSA).

NormaSmuff Fri 13-Jan-17 19:50:44

I would be very tempted to go vegetarian due to the antibiotics found in meat.

BakeOffBiscuits Fri 13-Jan-17 20:13:10

I too am allergic to pennicilinhmm

LumelaMme Fri 13-Jan-17 20:20:24

I've been waiting for this sort of thing to happen.

I'd be interested to see the planet after the Malthusian crisis. Don't fancy living through it, though.

roseshippy Fri 13-Jan-17 21:11:21

I'm sure they hand out antibiotics like candies in India. Just unregulated, over the country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now