Talk

Advanced search

Those freaky reborn babies are in the news.

(20 Posts)
charliecat Thu 22-Feb-07 16:56:18

here

goingfor3 Thu 22-Feb-07 17:03:32

I lost my first baby and find the thought of him having a freaky reborn like a nightmare!

MamaG Thu 22-Feb-07 17:04:43

That makes me feel very uncomfortable

totaleclipse Thu 22-Feb-07 17:05:18

I dont like that idea at all, and can see how it would help, well certainly not immediately after the bereavment.

totaleclipse Thu 22-Feb-07 17:05:58

I mean 'cant' see how it would help.

NadineBaggott Thu 22-Feb-07 17:06:04

WHAT?

charliecat Thu 22-Feb-07 17:06:12

They have benn mentioned on MN before, they sell on ebay for lots of money, some are very very real.

NadineBaggott Thu 22-Feb-07 17:08:42

one wonders just WHO is buying them?

doesn't bear thinking about!

hunkerdave Thu 22-Feb-07 17:08:55

I don't like the idea, but I cannot imagine telling somebody who has been bereaved and feels this will comfort them that it's not a good idea.

hunkerdave Thu 22-Feb-07 17:12:50

Sorry, that should've been "I don't like the dolls..."

NadineBaggott Thu 22-Feb-07 17:14:08

you'd hope a family member would though hunker.

If they're being sold ad lib though to anyone willing to pay? What's all that about?

It's like those blokes in the US and the life size dolls.

paulaplumpbottom Thu 22-Feb-07 17:22:16

I think this is bizarre. It reminded me to of those sad guys with the fake girlfriends. I can't imagine that its healthy.

misdee Thu 22-Feb-07 17:41:01

ok, i am partway through making my first reborn doll. I see it as a challenge to see how life like i can make it, but cant help cracking up when i am setting the paints by putting the whole thing in the oven lol.

I havent done this because i am bereaved, and am not sure how i feel about that aspect of things, but from a artistic viewpoint i can tell you that a hell of a lot of owrk goes into these dolls. Mine will NOT have a beating heart, but will be weighted as it also helps with regard to posing the doll. I would be amazed if mine went for over £100, but plesently pleased.

must find my rooting needles to do more of the hair tonight.

Greensleeves Thu 22-Feb-07 17:44:24

I find them difficult to look at because they remind me of the pain bereaved parents must be in to want one .

I know that's not what they are all bought/made for, but it breaks my heart to think of another mother taking one of these things home in place of her baby. Unthinkable. So they send a shiver down my spine, even though I can admire the skill and perfectionism that goes into making them.

charliecat Thu 22-Feb-07 18:13:31

any piccys misdee? How the hell do you do it???

misdee Thu 22-Feb-07 18:14:28

not yet, its body parts are scattered all over the house atm. its head is on my bedside table. will show u when its done.

FioFio Thu 22-Feb-07 18:17:12

Message withdrawn

charliecat Thu 22-Feb-07 18:18:34

Take a few pis of it half way thru to show me please... quote of the week <<<its heads on my bedside table>>>

peegeeweegee Thu 22-Feb-07 18:21:52

Can you imagine some poor woman, bereft from losing her much wanted baby, pushing a reborn doll in a pram down the high street? I really don't know how much comfort that could possibly bring??

Of course they are works of art, I have admired the ones on ebay. As dolls they are fab (if you like that sort of thing) but as a comforter for bereavement, especially if the doll is identical to your lost baby, no, too strange.

Kelly1978 Thu 22-Feb-07 18:24:06

I agree with greensleves post. I really can't understand what comfort a bereaved mother could get from a doll.
Not all have been sold to people whose babies have died though, some have been created for people who jsut want to remember exactly how their child was as a newborn, and I think that idea is appealing. I do find them a bit creepy though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now