Talk

Advanced search

Darfur - we have to stop the genocide

(23 Posts)
dassie Tue 20-Feb-07 13:00:25

Dear All

I am just posting to bring your attention to a petition calling on Tony Blair to join with his UN buddies to work to stop the Genocide in Darfur.

We have no excuse for turning a blind eye - we should have learnt our lesson in Rwanda. It breaks my heart to think of the torture and mutilation these people have had to endure. Now it is spreading over the border into Chad - the refugeees are not even safe in the Refugee camps and Chadaians are being forced out of their villages and into the already crowded camps. most of these camps are in inaccessible areas and have little access to water.

Please sign.

Darfur Petition

edam Tue 20-Feb-07 13:03:26

signed. Think he's too busy worrying about the road pricing petition though.

dassie Tue 20-Feb-07 13:42:16

From what the Government said yesterday it doesn't look like they will be doing much about it though.

A bit like when Ken 'consulted' Londoners about the congestion charge extension and before the results were in he had already siad he was going to do it anyway! Just a waste of money asking if you don't want to know the answer!

TooTicky Tue 20-Feb-07 13:54:23

I have signed.

hatwoman Tue 20-Feb-07 14:05:09

unfortunately that petition doesn;t really say very much. human rights watch and amnesty have more concrete recommendations for action. Although you need to look a bit more closely, maybe do some cutting and pasting, and even print stuff out.

ediemay Tue 20-Feb-07 14:07:39

Thanks for raising this dassie

dassie Tue 20-Feb-07 14:13:11

Thanks for putting the links hatwoman.

I think alot of people don't have the time to to write to people etc and that is why I just linked the petition.

Some MP's aren't very good but some are - the last time I wrote to my MP she replied quickly saying she would take the matter up with the foreign office and then let me know their response (a fob off) as soon as she had it.

I just wish this would get into the press more!!!

2shoes Tue 20-Feb-07 14:31:05

have signed

speedymama Tue 20-Feb-07 15:37:45

My admiration for George Clooney went into orbit because he was highlighting the atrocities Darfur. I bet if there was oil as there is in Nigeria, something would have been done long ago

dassie Tue 20-Feb-07 15:41:04

Unfortunately the only superpower interested in Africa's raw materials is China.

Although the dictatorial regime in Equatorial Guinea gets alot of support from the US (oh, did I mention they have quite alot of oil?).

It is very hard not to be cynical!

And don't even get me started on the situation in Zimbabwe.....

speedymama Tue 20-Feb-07 15:55:12

Ah Zimbabwe. Heard on the news yesterday that Mugabe's cronies were trying to raise £1m in order to celebrate his birthday?

Meanwhile the people starve, doctors are on strike so hospitals are closed and the man who can influence Mugabe the most, Mbeki, sits idly by muttering ineffectual platitudes. At least the people are protesting now but they need to register their disgust more effectively by voting out this corrupt regime.

dassie Tue 20-Feb-07 16:08:19

Oh, apparently the people are willing to make the sacrifice to celebrate their wonderful leader - I mean, what's going without food after all.

Even if the doctors weren't on strike, they can't do much anyway as there are no drugs.

A few months back a consignment of mobile phones was sent to Bulawayo and people slept out to try and get one. Just as the depot opened the mayor turned up and requisitioned 25, swiftly followed by 3 other Mugabe cronies who took the rest.

Anyway, maybe we should start another thread!

Re Darfur - you need 100 signatures to get the petition referred so only need 15 more to be sure it gets through but it would be good to drum up as much support as possible.

dassie Tue 20-Feb-07 21:27:00

Only 5 more signatures needed to get it into the right hands!

ediemay Tue 20-Feb-07 23:16:13

bump

TooTicky Wed 21-Feb-07 20:39:32

bump

ArcticRoll Wed 21-Feb-07 20:45:01

Signed.

Signed

paulaplumpbottom Wed 21-Feb-07 21:52:40

I would sign but I'm not a citizen but I think its great that there is one. The circumstances of these people should not be ignored

twinsetandpearls Wed 21-Feb-07 21:55:28

signed

dassie Wed 21-Feb-07 23:03:40

bump

dassie Sat 24-Feb-07 21:04:06

bump

mummylin2495 Sat 24-Feb-07 21:23:52

signed

dassie Wed 28-Feb-07 13:32:38

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now