Crewe Alexander FC child abuse

(9 Posts)
astranova Wed 23-Nov-16 09:34:15

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38069921

Just watched a very moving interview with Andy Woodward by Victoria Darbyshire. Simply awful. How on earth do these people get into positions where they can abuse so easily. I am sure it is the tip of the iceberg. So brave of Andy Woodward to come forward.

IndiansInTheLobby Wed 23-Nov-16 09:44:08

All i can say on this matter is that an awful lot more will come out about this and the club are lying through their teeth.

astranova Wed 23-Nov-16 09:53:40

I know that a lot of people sometimes complain that we are too paranoid as a society with our children these days but Christ, when stories like this come out you can understand why. I really hope that the processes that are in place today go some way to prevent abuse happening on this sort of scale (Adult to child ratios, consent forms for school trips, PVG forms etc.) No help to these adults who have had to live with this secret for all these years but I hope victims do come forward if only to get the help that they need and deserve.

IndiansInTheLobby Wed 23-Nov-16 10:01:11

This club still has people involved working there. So glad Andy came forward. Many have been trying for years.

astranova Wed 23-Nov-16 13:46:31

Sounds like you have knowledge of this situation IndiansInTheLobby - let's hope there's some justice.

PavlovianLunge Thu 24-Nov-16 18:47:01

The club seems to know way more than it is letting on, and the statements it has issued are disgraceful. The sooner it all comes out, the better, and I really hope that justice catches up with the vile individual that did these horrible things. How he can live with himself beats me.

Totallymyownperson Sun 18-Dec-16 15:32:28

I am not sure justice will catch up with most of these people. I'm waiting for when the cps say they can't prosecute someone for lack of evidence or someone is found not guilty and then the wave of calls from media that these suspects should have been given anonymity. Or maybe it will be different this time because its men and not women and children who are the complainants.

Lucydogz Sun 18-Dec-16 19:57:39

I don't know if it is the case with the abuse at this club, but I am shocked that the names and even pictures of the accused are given. I thought you were innocent until proved guilty in the UK. How can they possibly have a fair trial? I thought the media would have learnt something after the Jeffries case.
Having said that, in no way do I condone what seems to have happened.

Totallymyownperson Sun 18-Dec-16 21:50:34

Yes it's amazing how the tabloids will be the Ines naming suspects at the beginning and at the end will be the same ones calling for a change in the law on anonymity when their are no convictions. I've seen this cycle for as long as I can remember. It only proves what I always thought that the tabloids are interested in selling papers and are not interested in the principle of innocent until proven guilty. I mean the law can't stop them naming sex abuse suspects but they can choose to take a principle stand if they really believed in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now