Talk

Advanced search

TSUNAMI and EARTHQUAKE HITS NEW ZEALAND SOUTH ISLAND

(11 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Sun 13-Nov-16 17:12:45

A tsunami has hit after an earthquake struck New Zealand's South Island.
The US Geological Survey said the magnitude-7.8 quake hit just after midnight (11:02 GMT on Sunday), some 95km (59 miles) from Christchurch.
The tsunami arrived in the north-eastern coast about two hours later. Officials said the first waves may not be the largest, with tsunami activity possible for several hours.
Residents were warned to head inland or for higher ground along the coast.
Terrifying
A gauge at Kaikoura, 181 km (112 miles) north of Christchurch, measured a wave of 2.5m (8ft 2ins), according to Weatherwatch.co.nz.
Smaller waves are said to be arriving in Wellington and other areas, the website said.
But the ministry of civil defence has said the highest waves, which could be as tall as 5m are expected between Malborough, the north-eastern tip of the South Island, and Banks Peninsula, just south of Christchurch.
Residents in the Chatham Islands, an archipelago 423 miles (680km) south-east of the mainland, were also being warned a wave would hit.
Helicopters with medical and rescue personnel are being sent near the epicentre of the quake.
"We are starting to get reports of injuries from the earthquake area, including Culverden area and Kaikoura," St John's Ambulance Dion Rosario said in a statement.
"However, at this stage we do not have specifics."
New Zealanders are used to earthquakes. The country lies on the notorious Ring of Fire, the line of frequent quakes and volcanic eruptions that circles virtually the entire Pacific rim.
Christchurch is still recovering from the 2011 earthquake that killed 185 people and destroyed the city centre.
Early reports suggested some houses in Cheviot town, near the epicentre, have been damaged.
But Chris Hill, a fire officer in Cheviot, said officials had gone door to door evacuating residents and found "everyone seems okay".
He told RadioNZ: "There's a lot of debris in houses, but at this stage it doesn't look like anything too bad has happened."
A resident of Christchurch said the tremor lasted a "long" time.
"We were asleep and woken to the house shaking, it kept going and going and felt like it was going to build up," she told AFP news agency.
On Twitter, Hayley Colgan described it as "the most terrifying earthquake I think I've felt in my 23 years in New Zealand".
A magnitude-7.1 quake struck 169km (105 miles) north-east of Gisborne on the North Island in September, sparking a tsunami warning. It caused some damage to property, but no injuries.
Are you in New Zealand? Email haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk with your experience of the earthquake.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
■ WhatsApp: +44 7525 900971
■ Tweet: @BBC_HaveYourSay
■ Send pictures/video to yourpics@bbc.co.uk
■ Upload your pictures / video here
■ Send an SMS or MMS to 61124 or +44 7624 800 100

RTKangaMummy Sun 13-Nov-16 18:33:23

PrettyFlyForATightGuy Mon 14-Nov-16 05:04:02

What a tragedy for those that live there.

We are due to go next week and stay for 2 nights in Kaikoura, 3 in Blenheim, 2 in Nelson and 1 in Hanmer Springs. From the news I think Kaikoura is definitely out but the others are fully paid for and we can't afford to book alternatives so I'm trying to find out if we can still make it to any of them from Christchurch. I'm hoping by tomorrow we might be able to get through and find out where we stand because our travel insurance definitely doesn't cover it and I booked all the bits independently.

sad

StUmbrageinSkelt Mon 14-Nov-16 05:22:27

You definitely won't be able to get to Kaikoura. The highway won't be open by next week. I don't think a holiday there would be much fun next week.

You might be able to get to Nelson and Blenheim but not by SH1 (I think there's serious damage in Blenheim though). No problem getting to Hanmer from Chch but again there is damage.

Sorry if you are a Kiwi and I am over explaining.

PrettyFlyForATightGuy Mon 14-Nov-16 05:32:45

I'm not a kiwi and this would be my first trip there so as much explanation as possible is really helpful. I've been told elsewhere that the state highway 1 is very likely to be open again by next week but I think that seems very Unlikely looking at the damage. I'd love to still be able to do the rest of the the trip rather than a total reschedule but not sure this seems like a good idea.

StUmbrageinSkelt Mon 14-Nov-16 05:40:37

Those slips won't be cleared in a week. If the quakes continue as they are (it's not yet been 24 hours and there have been over 400 quakes) there will be more slips. It's not just the slips--the railway line is over the road as well.

There's no water or sewerage in Kaikoura and that won't be an easy fix. It is really really bad there.

www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/nov/14/new-zealand-earthquake-evacuations-tsnuami-east-coast-south-north-islands

www.nzherald.co.nz/

is where I am getting my info.

PrettyFlyForATightGuy Mon 14-Nov-16 05:49:45

Ok thanks. It must be so awful for those that are there. I'll try to find out about an alternate route to Blenheim and the rest of the places if that's possible. I'd like to still do some of it rather than a complete cancellation as supporting local areas that are still safe to travel to seems like the right thing to do.

StUmbrageinSkelt Mon 14-Nov-16 06:20:24

Reddit New Zealand has a lot of people posting who are actually there. Useful info.

Yes it is terrible, very terrible. And NZ will need every tourist dollar they can get in the coming years. I am so sad.

Jugoo28 Mon 14-Nov-16 06:23:52

I'm in NZ. Hanmer should be fine, Blenheim and Nelson are fine and you can get to all three through the Lewis Pass. Wouldn't go to Kaikoura as even if the road is open, the infrastructure may not be fully fixed. I'd cancel your accom and spend a couple of days in Kaiteriteri instead. It's very close to Nelson. In Blenheim, make sure you go to cloudy bay and the Allan Scott vineyards if you like that type of thing, st Clair very nice too.

StUmbrageinSkelt Mon 14-Nov-16 06:40:45

www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/regions/11 shows you the alternate routes.

Ah OK scratch what I said about Blenheim then. I was going on a report from this morning that it was munted as well.

Jugoo28 Mon 14-Nov-16 07:25:25

i.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-earthquake/86450928/slips-fractures-close-roads-into-kaikoura-days-until-highways-reopen Definitely not going to kaikoura sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now