Talk

Advanced search

Keith Vaz appointed to the all-party Justice Committee

(18 Posts)
Lucydogz Fri 04-Nov-16 09:14:13

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/31/keith-vaz-could-lose-justice-committee-post-in-unusual-mps-vote
Am I the only person to find it astonishing that a politician with his record has popped up in this position?

ComputerDog Fri 04-Nov-16 09:23:43

shock

Bizarre. And only 7 MPs voted against?!

prh47bridge Fri 04-Nov-16 10:04:16

The Labour party nominated him to return to the Justice Committee. Normally such nominations are simply accepted without a vote. It was unusual for an MP to force a vote. However, I understand Tory whips pushed for MPs to accept the nomination as they were concerned about the precedent that would be set. It would mean that, in future, any nomination by any party could be blocked by other parties. In that situation any government could decide which MPs were appointed to select committees. This would be very bad for parliamentary democracy.

I am amazed that Labour nominated Vaz to return. I am not surprised by the outcome of the vote.

ComputerDog Fri 04-Nov-16 10:22:50

Thanks for the explanation phr47, that's really helpful. I agree it is amazing that Labour nominated Vaz.

Lucydogz Fri 04-Nov-16 12:01:42

I believe the problem was that he was the only Labour MP who was prepared to go on the committee. I'm just suprised that Labour couldn't twist someone else's arm.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Fri 04-Nov-16 12:02:50

My eyes are rolling out of my head today.

loinnir Fri 04-Nov-16 15:26:47

Unbelievable! What does this guy have to do before he is de selected?

ComputerDog Fri 04-Nov-16 17:01:26

Surely it would have been better for Labour just to say they had no suitable candidates. Or is their a legislative requirement to field someone?

As Lucy says I am amazed they couldn't find someone else to step in.

AutumnLeavesAgain Fri 04-Nov-16 21:51:26

I wish the ghost of Cromwell would materialise in the house and say,

"In the name of God, go!"

Unbelievable.

OlennasWimple Fri 04-Nov-16 21:54:25

It's a sorry sign for the health of the Labour party that they deemed him to be the best (only?) candidate

He has always been Teflon, however....

mrsglowglow Sun 06-Nov-16 09:00:44

This is just one reason why I have total disrespect for politics in this country. We have the front to look down on other countries and accuse them of corruption but what the hell are we like.

prh47bridge Sun 06-Nov-16 12:35:47

Or is their a legislative requirement to field someone

There is no legislative requirement. However, there were two vacancies which, under the rules, were both for the Labour party to fill. They had two nominations for those vacancies. I suspect that, under their own rules, that means both candidates were automatically selected with an election only taking place if there are more candidates than vacancies. So I'm not sure the Labour party could, within their rules, say they don't have any suitable candidates. However, it is amazing no-one else stood and forced an election. I would have expected the Labour whips to be encouraging other candidates in this situation.

OlennasWimple Sun 06-Nov-16 15:50:46

Agreed prh47 - I can't see me voting Labour again for a very long time

Tiivola Mon 07-Nov-16 15:20:29

Maybe it will work out okay.
The "Justice Committee" sounds like a team of superheros and Vaz already has a secret identity as a washing machine salesman...

goddessofsmallthings Mon 14-Nov-16 22:01:13

The same MPs who clamoured for Vaz to sit on the Justice Committee are now clamouring for him to stand down.

www.leicestermercury.co.uk/keith-vaz-mp-under-pressure-to-quit-justice-select-committee-role-while-he-is-investigated-by-police/story-29893523-detail/story.html

It is any wonder that MPs of all parties are perceived as being out of touch with the electorate?

goddessofsmallthings Mon 14-Nov-16 22:11:28

'Work out' as in all coming out in the wash, Tivola? smile

Even an industrial washing machine, such as Vaz claimed to sell, together with the resources of the Magdalene laundries would be hard pressed to clean his dirty linen.

prh47bridge Tue 15-Nov-16 00:26:16

The same MPs who clamoured for Vaz to sit on the Justice Committee are now clamouring for him to stand down

As far as I am aware no MPs "clamoured" for Vaz to sit on the Justice Committee. There were two vacancies which the Labour party needed to fill. Only two MPs put their names forward for these vacancies. He was one of them. He therefore got the role. The fact there was a vote in the Commons at all was highly unusual. The article to which you link mentions two MPs calling for him to stand down. One of them voted to oppose his appointment and the other abstained. Neither of them can in any way be classed as "clamouring" for him to sit on the Justice Committee.

So your statement is completely untrue.

Sometimes our MPs do behave in ways that seem out of touch but their reputation in this respect is not entirely deserved. Sometimes they are misrepresented in the press. And sometimes people are too willing to believe things they see on the internet. I remember, for example, a composite photo circulated widely on social media a year or two ago purporting to show the Commons packed full of MPs when discussing their own pay and expenses, and almost empty when discussing other important issues. It was a lie. The photos did not depict the events stated in the captions.

Olympiathequeen Tue 15-Nov-16 10:42:46

Totally bizarre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now