Talk

Advanced search

How to get a replacement tumble dryer from Hotpoint Indesit

(48 Posts)
Sally1723 Sat 08-Oct-16 17:33:29

We just got our faulty tumble dryer replaced by Hotpoint Indesit, and here is how we did it.

No apologies for the long post, if you are affected, it's worth reading this to the end.

The way in which Hotpoint Indesit are dealing with the tumble dryer fire risk issue beggars belief. Homes and lives are being put a risk and it's time they did the decent thing and recalled and replaced all the affected appliances, but we all know they won't.

So read this, then stick it to them.

Current advice from Hotpoint says if you have one of the affected tumble dryers, it's safe to use so long as you clean the filter and don't leave it unattended whilst in use. This is rubbish, peoples' houses have burned down and lives are being put at risk. The London Fire Brigade is saying, if you have one of the affected tumble dryers, it is not safe to use it.

Ask yourself who you would rather believe.

Also, consider whether your insurance company will pay out in the event of a fire when you already know that your tumble dryer is one of the ones affected by the fire risk.

Hotpoint Indesit have probably offered you a modification that will take place at some vague point in the future. And, there are reports on here and in the media that the modifications don't work. It's known that the modifications are not being verified by independent engineers so this has implications for your home insurance as well.

Don't go back to the store where you bought the faulty appliance; why should retailers who are already hard-pressed foot the bill for Hotpoint Indesit's negligence.

Don't waste your valuable time trying to get a refund through your credit card company.

Don't bother ringing their customer services department to ask for a replacement. They will tell you that it is not their policy to replace the affected tumble dryers. They will tell you to post a complaint via their website to 'escalate' the issue. We did this and after four weeks we had received no response.

So, here is what you do.

Email the chief executive on this email address
Maurizio.Pettorino@indesit.com

Tell his office that you don't want the modification because there are reports they don't work and these modifications are not verified by an independent engineer. Tell them you will not go back to the store where you bought it for a refund as what store will refund you when this issue is all over the media. Tell them you want a replacement appliance for the following reasons.

They manufactured the appliance that you bought and it is now known that it is faulty. Under consumer law you have a right to a replacement (or a refund if that's what you want). More to the point, the appliance is not only faulty, it poses a significant fire risk to you, your family and your property.

Tell them that your home insurance is invalidated by using the tumble dryer because the issue is now well-known in the public domain and your insurance company will, therefore, treat that as a 'material fact' in the event of a fire and subsequent claim.

Use everything that's in the media to make your point. Then ask for a prompt and satisfactory response from the Chief Executive's Office.

This is what we did and it took them just under two hours to call us.

They will try to tell you that the modifications are verified, but when you press them they will say the modifications are only verified by their own engineers. They will try to tell you that some insurance companies are still prepared to cover your house and contents and ask if you have rung your insurers to ask them. This is not true, of course it's not.

Keep telling them you want a replacement or a refund and eventually they will relent and offer it to you.

If you want to accept a replacement, make sure the model they offer you is clear of the safety issue. You must ask them for the model number and for confirmation by email that the model they are offering you will come with a green sticker. This is their way of indicating the appliance is not affected by the safety issue.

Finally, make sure to look the model up while they are on the phone, and if it is not of the same value as the faulty one you purchased, tell them you want a like for like replacement.

Our new, fire-risk free tumble dryer was delivered just a week after we spoke to them. And they took the old one away.

Please share this as widely as you can. Hotpoint Indesit must be made to do the right thing and if enough of those affected follow what we did, at least it will be costing them significantly.

Thequilltosurvive Sat 08-Oct-16 17:38:06

We just registered for the modification and they called us several times advising the fix had been pushed back to X date (several months in the future). Each time they offered us a replacement instead for £X. When it dropped to £50 + free removal of the old one (which was 8 years old anyway) we agreed and they switched it within the week. Easy!

Thequilltosurvive Sat 08-Oct-16 17:38:43

We just registered for the modification and they called us several times advising the fix had been pushed back to X date (several months in the future). Each time they offered us a replacement instead for £X. When it dropped to £50 + free removal of the old one (which was 8 years old anyway) we agreed and they switched it within the week. Easy!

claig Sun 09-Oct-16 13:13:05

Good thread, thanks for the info

Sally1723 Sun 09-Oct-16 13:39:40

But why should you pay for something over again when the original appliance you bought from them that was faulty?

My point was that Hotpoint Indesit should pay by giving free replacements.

Thequilltosurvive Sun 09-Oct-16 17:12:33

I agree - they definitely shouldn't be providing dangerous goods in the first place - but at the same time my dryer was a good few years old and could have packed in any minute anyway (unlikely but possible). We decided £50 was worth it to get a brand new one. It has quite a few new features so we are happy with it.

pinkmagic1 Sun 09-Oct-16 17:20:40

Mine was modified last week after months and months of waiting and hotpoint/indesit putting the appointment back time and time again. Refused to buy a replacement that they kept pushing on me as it was their appliance that was faulty.
Hope it Is now safe.

Hoolit Sun 09-Oct-16 17:23:56

I keep getting a standard email with no contact details advising they will be in touch, must be over a year now. We had ours looked at by paying an independent engineer as it was tripping the electric but never got sorted so ended up biting the bullet and buying a new one ourselves.
Not impressed with them in the least, I hope people get sorted following your advice.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 11-Oct-16 23:00:03

I gave up, bought a new dryer.

The old one's in the garage.
Fuckers.

NeverTalksToStrangers Tue 11-Oct-16 23:07:59

They came to fix mine but broke it in a different way. Bunch of gits who have since ignored every attempt I've made since to get them to actually ring me.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 11-Oct-16 23:20:42

I tried all possible ways of getting them to fix it, rang them up, filed a complaint on the website.

We had an estimated repair for February, then May. Now it's October and still nothing, no reply to any of the complaints.

How can a company get away with this?

AndNowItsSeven Tue 11-Oct-16 23:22:29

We also gave up and paid £50 for a new one.

vjg13 Sat 22-Oct-16 16:29:10

I emailed the CEO, kept on and on and eventually they collected the old one, I got a full refund and I bought a different brand one. Had no confidence left in the brand and will never buy from Creda, Hotpoint etc again.

CupofTeaTime Sat 22-Oct-16 16:31:39

They've been to repair mine, is it still not safe then? confused

ilovesprouts Wed 09-Nov-16 19:07:47

They came to modify mine and it broke down a month after so got a new one from currys .

BunloafAndCrumpets Wed 09-Nov-16 19:13:08

They came and fixed ours within three days of me posting on their FB wall. I have been told by the manufacturer that the with the mod the dryer is safe to use, so hope I am as insured for tumble drier faults the same as any other appliance fault.

Ulysses Fri 11-Nov-16 07:13:07

I'm getting a replacement one today as it happens. I paid £50, but considering my tumble dryer is now 10 years I consider it worth it.

juliequince Thu 26-Jan-17 11:04:31

Thank you so much for your advice, after reporting my dryer in Feb 16 and many calls they arranged to fix it on 24.1.17, but last week I decided I had had enough, I emailed last Monday stating all your ideas, reply the next day saying I did not qualify for a new one and they would still just fix it, I emailed back, asking them to re read my mail, yesterday I received a email saying a new one is on its way.
yipeeeeeeeeeeeee

Alidavey Tue 21-Feb-17 09:20:23

I had my modification carried out in June last year , they forgot to re attach the belt to spin the drum !!! Came back out and fixed it . Called them again as machine was noisier than previously they said it was fine !!! This weekend there was a burning smell from my machine , I am awaiting them to come out !!! I wish I had pushed for a new machine or refund first of all . I have no confidence in the modification that they carried out

GardeningWithDynamite Tue 21-Feb-17 09:22:27

I got the new one almost a year ago as a replacement. It's just failed spectacularly. We're having an engineer come out on Friday to "investigate" but we're very lucky that it didn't set the house on fire. The plug is melted and the socket badly scorched and buckled. The fuse in the plug didn't trip and the house electrics didn't either.

treaclesoda Tue 21-Feb-17 09:27:17

I actually bought my tumble dryer after the company had admitted there was a problem with them. Obviously I hadn't heard because naturally I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. But in any case, I discovered between buying it and having it delivered, but they wouldn't let me cancel the order. It makes me furious that they were still selling items that they knew could potentially be dangerous.

My dryer is in a detached garage, so in safety terms it isn't such an issue as for others - worst case scenario if it were to go on fire, it would damage my garage, not burn the house down, or the neighbours house down.

But it is scandalous that they can get away with this. I will never buy another item from them, they deserve to go out of business for the way they have dealt with this.

Bloopbleep Tue 21-Feb-17 09:51:39

We paid £50 for a new one which is better than the old one

WhatYouTalkinBout Tue 21-Feb-17 09:56:34

I got the option to repair or replace mine. Given that that they couldn't come out for months to fix it I had it replaced instead with a nicer more expensive tumble dryer and they took the old one away, £60 well spent in my eyes

mandyselfe Thu 23-Feb-17 13:00:03

My dryer door doesnt close this happened just before i seen the faulty dryers which mine is listed would i still get a rwplacement do you think? Thanks

Afreshstartplease Thu 23-Feb-17 13:02:39

I had mine modified

So am I okay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now