Talk

Advanced search

Man arrested after punching five day old baby in the face - WTAF???

(25 Posts)
Magicpaintbrush Wed 07-Sep-16 11:17:29

I can't believe I just read this. What the fuck is the world coming to??

uk.news.yahoo.com/man-arrested-five-day-old-baby-punched-face-093300537.html

DoloresVanCartier Wed 07-Sep-16 11:24:02

WTF?!?!?!? sadsad

KittyandTeal Wed 07-Sep-16 11:27:27

He thought it was a doll???? But why would you punch a strangers doll in the face anyway?

It's really sad that I read the headline and assumed it was the babies father. sad

ImperialBlether Wed 07-Sep-16 11:29:49

That was so shocking. Hardly believable that he'd do that thinking it was a doll, anyway. Why would anyone do that to a doll, ffs? And why would a grown woman have a doll in a pram?

Wadingthroughsoup Wed 07-Sep-16 11:41:28

How awful. Given that the suspect is 63 years-old, I wonder if dementia may be a consideration? Not that it is ever ok to punch anyone, of course.

Arfarfanarf Wed 07-Sep-16 11:46:17

bollocks did he think it was a doll

that's going to be his defence hmm

I'm not sure why the parents are described as "mortified". Doesn't that mean embarrassed, humiliated or ashamed? I'd have thought enraged or furious would have been the word.

I seriously hope the judge treats his ridiculous doll claim with the contempt it deserves.

WheelofPan Wed 07-Sep-16 11:53:32

It's wythenshawe. The baby must have looked at him funny.

WheelofPan Wed 07-Sep-16 11:54:34

Sorry, must of.

painbadger Wed 07-Sep-16 11:55:34

I felt sick when I read that newspaper article - I really hope the baby has no brain damage. How horrific!

JessieMcJessie Wed 07-Sep-16 11:56:25

I suspect mental illness on his part.

FaithAscending Wed 07-Sep-16 11:56:51

DD was only 5lb 4oz when she was born and some people genuinely thought she was a doll! However I cannot see why anyone would choose to punch a doll. This is most bizarre behaviour.

ThomasRichard Wed 07-Sep-16 12:33:00

His defence is bizarre. Why would anyone punch a doll?! He could easily have killed the baby.

BravoHopeful Wed 07-Sep-16 12:36:42

I thought it must be the man who punched the baby who was 'mortified' after realising it was a baby not a doll.

Don't understand why parents would be mortified. Whoever said that must have a different understanding of the word than its actual definition.

I imagine he must have some form of mental illness. Or completely misunderstood the situation in some way (thought the "doll" belonged to the 7 year old?) and it was some sort of jokey action that went horribly wrong. Tbh punching a child's doll would be an unpleasant act in itself.

Heirhelp Wed 07-Sep-16 12:40:23

BBC article says the man was a colleague of the baby's Dad so he probably knew the wife was pregnant so it makes his story seem like an odd excuse.

stiffstink Wed 07-Sep-16 12:40:39

I read one article that suggested he is the mother's neighbour's colleague's husband (can't be sure, I had to go through it a few times). Imagine being his wife!

I've seen women with dolls in prams. I tend to avoid them rather than punch their dolls.

Auti Wed 07-Sep-16 13:52:45

A young man attempted to kick my then 3yo DSD in the head in a Tesco's many years ago now. Fortunately he missed and she got a glancing blow on her shoulder.

The young man looked disturbed and turned out to be severely autistic. He was out with his carers who had not properly cared for/controlled him.

Maybe there are details of this incident than we do not know now eg a mental health problem?

Crystal15 Wed 07-Sep-16 13:55:21

Clearly a MH issue

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 07-Sep-16 18:13:37

This world is turning in a circus more and more each day. Little innocent babies are not even safe in their prams now, and the.
He thought it was a doll defence will not cut it either, because. What someone will do to a doll. They very likely do it to a person.

RoganJosh Wed 07-Sep-16 18:15:53

My friend from Liverpool uses 'mortified' to mean 'devastated'. I don't know if it's a NW thing.

Thornyrose7 Wed 07-Sep-16 18:20:56

When I think about the first time I took my DD out at that age and how precious and small she was, this makes me feel quite sick.

The poor baby and poor family, what a terrible shock for them.
I expect the truth of this man's bizarre actions will come to light eventually.

ImperialBlether Wed 07-Sep-16 22:08:26

'Mortified' is a very popular word up here in the NW, RoganJosh.

redshoeblueshoe Wed 07-Sep-16 22:25:41

I think it will be a drugs issue. I see the police haven't named him.

pleasemothermay1 Thu 08-Sep-16 07:58:06

This will come down to MH why the hell would you think a lady pushing a normal pram would have a toy doll in it and even if you did think it was a toy why would you punch it

My daughter took her dolly out yesterday and I would me mortified if Somone ran up to her and punched her dolly in the face so either way wtf

pleasemothermay1 Thu 08-Sep-16 08:01:03

When I first read this I really thought this is daily mail horse shot as no one would punch a baby in a pram out with his mum

But gosh it's true

noeffingidea Fri 09-Sep-16 22:06:00

I remember an old lady saying she thought my newborn daughter was a doll. She was asleep in a double buggy next to her 3 year old brother. That part is believable to me. The part that is harder to explain us the fact that he punched her.
Poor baby. Hopefully she makes a full recovery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now