That little boy needed a hug, not to be photographed

(37 Posts)
Egosumquisum Fri 19-Aug-16 07:05:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Inkanta Fri 19-Aug-16 07:08:49

I know - poor little love. The doctor said he didn't cry. Must be in shock. Would like to know about his recovery.

Egosumquisum Fri 19-Aug-16 07:10:19

cexuwaleozbu Fri 19-Aug-16 07:14:10

The photographer wasn't the only person there. Other people were there to look after the boy but the photographer's job was to document and publicise what is happening. There are many many times when a photographer could put down their camera and start helping but it often wouldn't be the right thing to do.

fanjoforthemammaries Fri 19-Aug-16 07:15:36

Exactly

headinhands Fri 19-Aug-16 07:17:23

The journalist is bringing the story to our attention. At any one time there are countless children sitting shocked/injured around the world because of conflict. Having these images in the media has more chance of making that boy's future better. Although I hope someone hugged him.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Fri 19-Aug-16 07:17:40

I saw a headline earlier saying that the poor little lad is ok.

I hate pictures like this, same with the charity ones of parents holding their ill children etc.

I would hate to have a photo taken at the very worst time of my life and for it to be splashed around everywhere.

I don't know how the people taking pictures could be so detached about it and just stand taking photos sad

GinIsIn Fri 19-Aug-16 07:18:28

That was my first thought too on seeing the photo, but actually if you watch the video, the medics were loading other children into the ambulance - people trying hug him would have been obstructive and it's important for the photographers to document atrocities like this so someone can be held to account.

Egosumquisum Fri 19-Aug-16 07:18:36

fanjoforthemammaries Fri 19-Aug-16 07:20:12

I think what has happened to him is profoundly bad and not being hugged for a second for a photo wouldnt make it worse.

I don't think he would have been very aware of what was happening anyway.

hesterton Fri 19-Aug-16 07:21:18

It makes us feel massively uncomfortable but it's the reality of the situation and documenting it is important. We need to be made aware of what is happening. The whole world does. That clip of film could be part of a body of information which could swing things around.

ayeokthen Fri 19-Aug-16 07:22:37

I am not an emotional person, but that photograph took me by surprise and I cried seeing it. I just wanted to scoop him up and give him a cuddle, poor poor wee soul. It makes me angry beyond belief that this is happening to children every day.

TheSilverChair Fri 19-Aug-16 07:22:43

Sometimes it's more important that something that awful is documented to make the world wake up.

The naked girl covered in Napalm, the refugee boy's body on the beach, the catholic priest on Bloody Sunday all had worldwide impact.

His name is known and he's safe.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Fri 19-Aug-16 07:22:45

This reminds me of when I first saw the photo of Kim Phuc in Vietnam and asked the same question - though in that case the journalists did give her water and get her to medical care.

It's an interesting (not the right word at all) area and I think the argument is often that taking the photo has a bigger impact than physically helping, but I'd like to think they then put the camera down and act like the rest of us.

I do hope there are people just out of shot though who had been helping.

Egosumquisum Fri 19-Aug-16 07:23:04

Thisismyalias Fri 19-Aug-16 07:27:50

It is a very powerful image. He is in shock, well who wouldn't be.

I might sound cold but other children and adults needed help, I saw the video of him being put into the ambulance and he was on his own for about 15 seconds, three other children were put into the ambulance and then it was on its way to the hospital.

Thankfully the little boys family was saved and they were reunited at the hospital.

Its harrowing absolutely harrowing, Syrians caught up in this conflict, either die at home in an airstrike or die trying to get to safety in Europe.

Innocent people being caught up in a war perpetuated by monsters.

fanjoforthemammaries Fri 19-Aug-16 07:41:31

Thankfully the little boys family was saved and they were reunited at the hospital

I didn't know that. Am so glad.

Thisismyalias Fri 19-Aug-16 07:43:43

His name is Omran.

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154950292455329&id=21898300328

GinIsIn Fri 19-Aug-16 07:53:11

I wish someone had been with him too but they would have been in the way of the medics getting the other children into the ambulance so it really was necessary to leave him. It was only for a minute.

DailyMailEthicalFail Fri 19-Aug-16 07:54:20

It was absolutely harrowing, as an image, and a reality of what is happening to children in his country.

He was clearly in shock, and it was very powerful.

I am so glad he was not alone for long and his family are found and with him.

I also saw a clip of other local people pulling children from the rubble and they were almost 'presenting' them to the camera as they were running, the children being joggled about. It made me uncomfortable but clearly they WANT 'the world to see' what is happening to them.

Filming it and getting it out there is essential.
It probably makes little difference to the traumatised child, for those few seconds, but may help greatly in raising consciousness.

I too would rather have seen him with a medic interacting with him though.

Ratbagcatbag Fri 19-Aug-16 11:13:45

I've just watched this. It made my heart hurt sad

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Fri 19-Aug-16 11:45:32

Few minutes later his older brother and sister are put in there with him

It's just a snapshot of what happened....in the middle of an emergency!

Ratbagcatbag Fri 19-Aug-16 13:35:25

Does anyone know what the best thing to do is? I'd donate to MSF and write/campaign. Because I agree with the comments that have been said. These images become iconic but nothing changes unless we do something. sad

handsomeboymodellingschool Fri 19-Aug-16 13:56:50

The first responder that rescued him died shortly afterwards when the building collapsed. They were there to do a job, which they did, and paid the ultimate price.

MapleandPear Fri 19-Aug-16 14:05:30

Things do change because of photographs like this. The journalist has done an excellent job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now