Brexit war and deaths

(101 Posts)
Longlost10 Sat 16-Jul-16 09:23:06

How likely is it that Brexit will lead eventually to a civl war? I've heard a lot of discussion about how long it has been since we were this close to civil war in the Britain, and how low we could descend as the country slowly crumbles around us over the coming years and decades.

Anybody with any real insight and back ground knowledge that could give any reassurance on this issue?

(I have no interest at all in the ignorant knee jerk defensive lashing out of the leavers who have no comprehension of what they have done, and what is going to happen)

I can see that there will most likely be deaths, many deaths, that will be related to the loss of politically and economically coordinated support for scientific research, such as the research into new antibiotics which is absolutely vital to prevent the next generation being decimated by infectious disease. And anyone who thinks the uk can match the funding that the EU provided for this is not worth responding to, and for anyone who even thinks that matching the funding for isolated research groups would in any case be equivalent to giving the same funding for coordinated groups anyway, ... well it has been estimated that isolated groups in medicine would require something like 80x as much for the same results. And for environmental protection and pollution control, well in excess of this.

I would assume the number of Brexit related deaths in coming generations will be immeasurable.

But actual war??

lljkk Sat 16-Jul-16 09:37:00

That's a lot of unhelpful dramatic exaggeration.
I'm a pretty hard core Remainer (who works in some of the affected areas you mention).

Justlikefire Sat 16-Jul-16 09:38:56

God, war and brexit deaths? Never thought of it till you just said confused.

BungoWomble Sat 16-Jul-16 09:39:13

We have no leaders for actual war.

What will happen is continuation of, as you put it, the slow crumbling of the socioeconomic fabric. The slow abandonment of the north, the continued sucking into London, the removal of key infrastructures. Fewer and fewer opportunities and choices for those who already have so little. Deaths will result from being unable to access emergency health services, for instance in the north west there's nothing between Wigan and Preston any more, malnutrition and - eventual worst case scenario - lack of food. People starving in one of the richest countries in the world while the political class sip their champangne in London, and continue to clap themselves on the back about how they deserve it all because they've always worked so hard and it's all poor people's own fault, never seeing how much they are grinding everyone else under their heel.

neonrainbow Sat 16-Jul-16 09:42:15

I think this wins the prize for the most hysterical post I've seen. Interesting that if there was a civil war it would be the ignorant stupid leavers side fault. It takes 2 sides to have a civil war.

2boysnamedR Sat 16-Jul-16 09:43:13

I would worry about things that more likely to happen tbh. World wide instability is really happening right now. I think WW3 is much more likely than people dieing of civil war in the UK.

BungoWomble Sat 16-Jul-16 09:43:56

We have many more than 2 sides in Britain. Every social divide we have is being ripped wide open. It's too confusing and fragmented for a nice, neat civil war (and those terms do not usually belong together).

PortiaCastis Sat 16-Jul-16 09:47:32

Don't be silly

BungoWomble Sat 16-Jul-16 09:48:42

The blinkered complacency of the well-off is one of the major problems we have.

MargotLovedTom Sat 16-Jul-16 09:55:53

Agree with 2boys - I'm more worried about WW3.

Longlost10 Sat 16-Jul-16 10:00:07

hysterical in what way neon rainbow?

Can you explain in way it would be possible for Brexit NOT to result in more deaths from pollution, for example, or to impact negatively on scientific progress?

There is absolutely no possibility of the uk government being able to match the funding, or the effectiveness of the funding of current scientific research

And do you think we are somehow a golden people immune from the violence and power struggles that befall other nations when their country and lives destabilise?

Some sort of master race, perhaps?

OTheHugeManatee Sat 16-Jul-16 10:01:51

There will be bubonic plague and rains of poisonous toads too. And Chianti shortages hmm

Longlost10 Sat 16-Jul-16 10:03:04

yes, I think you are right, posters have said there are more immediate threats. I'm asking long term though. I don't think Britain will disintegrate next week, or next year, I expect it would take decades of slow steady downhill, although I have heard other opinions that we could reach the bottom much faster than that

PortiaCastis Sat 16-Jul-16 10:03:30

Don't forget the pestilence

Longlost10 Sat 16-Jul-16 10:06:49

There will be bubonic plague and rains of poisonous toads too. And Chianti shortages

so glad you think this is funny. Have you encountered bubonic plague? I would guess not, as it is very well controlled, although if you live in a big city there is a good chance you have sat on the bus next to someone who has encountered it.

I have lived in plague areas.

Do you realise how tenuous our control over it is now, and how vital the EU funded, UK supported antibiotic research is, in preventing this getting out of control again?

No, I would guess you don't have the faintest idea.

This is just a comedy throw away comment to you, isn't it.

OTheHugeManatee Sat 16-Jul-16 10:09:23

And start stockpiling Camembert now. After the Brexit zombie invasion there will be mines in the Channel and anti-aircraft arrays along the Brittany coast.

Seriously though. Everything which prompted the Brexit vote: the complacent elites, the withering of democracy undet supranationalism, the widening wealth gap etc etc etc would inevitably have resulted sooner or later in some kind of pushback, referendum or no referendum. They were not caused by those ghastly idiot proles abusing their ill-gotten franchise to force their ignorance on the wise the Brexit vote. You should be glad the pushback has taken peaceful democratic form rather than being repressed until it erupted in an uglier way. This kind of woe-is-me stuff is utterly unhelpful.

Longlost10 Sat 16-Jul-16 10:15:17

Thank you Manatee. considered opinion to think about, not sure what you mean by "woe-is-me stuff" though.

BungoWomble Sat 16-Jul-16 10:21:15

It certainly would have happened anyway, but the removal of EU funds and personnel will heighten all problems.

Please people take a moment to read this as a starting point into the many problems we have. It's about a report from the UN, which has quietly been ignored by our media. There is no higher authority in the world. Just for once open a little window in your minds to the possibility that they might be right. And they don't even begin to touch on the problems of removal of physical and educational infrastructure. ukhumanrightsblog.com/2016/06/30/un-committee-seriously-concerned-about-the-impact-of-austerity-on-human-rights/comment-page-1/

Further details can be found from the Equality Trust. www.equalitytrust.org.uk

Longlost10 Sat 16-Jul-16 10:24:48

posters who think flippant comments about infectious disease or food shortages are somehow funny or sophisticated....

Feel free to flounce around this thread as much as you like, flouting your ignorant arrogant privileged complacency,

I will be ignoring you

roarfeckingroar Sat 16-Jul-16 10:26:12

Quite possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read

Lweji Sat 16-Jul-16 10:28:35

And malaria will return to the UK?

specialsubject Sat 16-Jul-16 10:28:40

So science will stop if we leave the EU? Nothing developed or discovered in the EU will be shared with Britain? Only EU members can do scientific research?

Ever heard of the large hadron collider? Know where it is?

The EU does operate punitive regimes for non members (eg Switzerland). Is this something we should support? That's a different question, but throwing round apocalyptic absolutes is as stupid as saying that all will be flowers and kittens if we stayed.

As for possible civil war - be glad you don't live in turkey or many other places. Get real.

Lweji Sat 16-Jul-16 10:30:07

vital the EU funded, UK supported antibiotic research is, in preventing this getting out of control again?

DO you know much about antibiotic research?

Lindy2 Sat 16-Jul-16 10:30:27

I agree Roar.
The only place that Brexit wars seem to still be really raging is on mumsnet and they are fuelled by hysterical posts just like this.

Lweji Sat 16-Jul-16 10:34:24

MN history:
The Brexit wars. Pp against pp, mass hysteria, plague of vipers, massive flounces, quotation catapults, links shoot outs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now