Talk

Advanced search

which newspaper should I be reading?

(18 Posts)
ludolooby Wed 06-Jul-16 22:57:37

I've no idea where to begin with newspapers and don't want to be put off before I begin...
I'm more left wing than right (although maybe centre left), I'm interested in Education as I teach, creative arts, a bit of history and prefer real relatable, workong class stories than upper class rubbish and celebrity trash.
Any ideas where to start?

Kummerspeck Wed 06-Jul-16 23:08:36

I would have said the Guardian until you mentioned working class stories. Personally I have given up on newspapers and don't think there is any that print the truth, they all print the version that best suits their agenda

Cakescakescakes Wed 06-Jul-16 23:12:30

Guardian.

Cakescakescakes Wed 06-Jul-16 23:12:49

Try it online for a while.

BlowingThroughTheJasmineinMyMi Wed 06-Jul-16 23:14:08

Never soley the Guardian its terribly narrow and biased these days.

Op if you can read all of them really. I do. Well most. smile

Celticlassie Wed 06-Jul-16 23:15:34

If you use Twitter you could follow a few newspapers for a bit as a taster to read some articles and see what suits you?

CiderwithBuda Wed 06-Jul-16 23:17:25

Daily Mail

Best in my view. wink

hurtyboobs Wed 06-Jul-16 23:18:15

You shouldn't be readying any one newspaper. They're all biased. They all have their own agendas. Private Eye good but still, has its own agenda. Dip in and out of everything.

Clayhead Wed 06-Jul-16 23:18:24

The i is good.

LarrytheCucumber Thu 07-Jul-16 08:19:17

Go to Waitrose and read through the papers in the coffee shop. You will soon get a 'feel' for the different papers.

LarrytheCucumber Thu 07-Jul-16 08:19:48

Clayhead agree.

Wyldfyre Thu 07-Jul-16 12:51:05

Read a local or a regional of you have a good one - it's where all the Nationals follow up steal their stories from anyway

notthe1Parrot Thu 07-Jul-16 21:20:56

We have been buying the i for a few years - perfect for us, succinct news (I don't want, for example, 8 pages on Chilcot), interesting articles, some good writers. All for 40p (50p on Saturday). Great value.

sunnydayinmay Thu 07-Jul-16 21:27:11

I was also going to say the Guardian, but I have to dilute it a bit these days.

I grew up in a house with the Mail and by the age of 14 years was adamant I would never read it by choice.

I do read the Telegraph sometimes, but only at weekends.

NecklessMumster Thu 07-Jul-16 21:29:58

I read the Guardian but only the Saturday one
I like the magazine and the family section

Sixweekstowait Thu 07-Jul-16 21:43:00

I think it depends what you want from it. These days it's not the actual news is it? I read the Guardian because I enjoy the range of columnists discussing the news - a real range of opinions. Simon Jenkins makes me think a lot. I read the letters first and love the cryptic crossword. I enjoy the education section on Tuesdays and Society on Wednesdays. It's done some sterling investigative stuff over the years although it's not the paper it was. I hate Family on Saturdays

NecklessMumster Fri 08-Jul-16 13:20:49

My very lefty friend used to read the financial times as he said it told the truth? TV newswise : aljezeera and rt give a good perspective

bertsdinner Sat 09-Jul-16 12:42:09

Guardian is good for interesting stories, I read one this week about school boys getting lost in a German blizzard and the Nazis using it as propaganda. Opinion section can be amusing. News wise, I read lots of them, including Independent (dont like i, you can read it inside 5 minutes), Times and DM online. Not keen on the Telegraph.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now